Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be giving it anything up to large adult mice if it was hatched in January. It will manage them very well. Jamie

just as a comparison between species I'm feeding my 9 month old holdback jungles on small adult to large adult mice.

...My apologies if my reply come across grouchy and defensive, it was not intended that way at all...
Not in the least! I simply wished to clarify the situation (which also allowed me to make a comment on shedding rates). Thank you for kind words and I assure you, no apology is needed.
Regards,
Blue

If you had you time again would you buy a skinny underweight snake with an inconsistant feeding record, presumably cheaper; or buy an animal which may cost a bit more from a reliable breeder who has a reputation to maintain?

We spent $500.00 ( + freight)on her and was not aware that she was under weight. We had of course not seen her in person as she was from over a thousand Km's away from us. The snake was selected from a buyer on Herp Trader. We had been told that she was problems being fed to begin with and was assist fed for a while but was feeding freely before we received her (which she was just only once a fortnight). This I assumed meant she was being fed weekly on suitable sized food at the time of shipping. She was not the snake that we had initially selected, as that one had BAD feeding problems. We were given instead the snake we have now, which was the pick of the litter. She also come to us with medical problems that I was unaware of at the time of purchase, which cost us a pretty penny to fix, though the breeder did offer to pay when we informed her (we chose to decline this offer).
In hindsight, I should have asked to see her feed and shed history instead of accepting the information that we were given. I will also purchase snakes from reputable breeders in future or at least see the snake in person first. I will also be asking A LOT more questions about the breeders husbandry if they are not a well known breeder. But that is the thing about hindsight, it doesn’t help what has happened in the past.

I start my hatchling bhps on small adult mice and fuzzy rats
I would be feeding it fuzzy-weaner rats (30-40g) every 6-8 days

try parafin oil that should help get its bowels moving
I have had a reptile vet tell me about a non-reptile colleague of hers that administered paraffin oil to a Bearded Dragon suffering from constipation and it died. She suggested that this particular treatment should be viewed with great caution and was personally not in favour of it. Administrations of water, via a syringe into the gullet (in the correct size-related volume) is more appropriate if dehydration is the cause of the constipation.

This problem is NOT constipation – a slowing down of the passage of wastes materials through the gut. The problem is that there are no waste materials. The snake fully digested and absorbed everything it ate – hence no undigested wastes – hence no poop. The urates produced come from the snake using protein it has eaten, digested, absorbed and processed as an energy source – hence the digestive system is working fine.

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back