Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
re Woma

not sure if this info is correct but i heard that because they are endangered in a few areas they wont drop because it would likely allow or somewhat encourage poaching of the uncommon and potentially endangered localities. i guess only time will tell, i hope they drop, they are truely imo the best animals and should be available to everyone

Ive never seen one from NSW jason ,not even a picture of one,there is records and they must be specimens in museums etc,never heard of anyone actually going out looking for womas in NSW its just such remote locations,too many legal types around now at rockbottom rates.I know its not supposed to be a monetary issue with DECC as they are created to serve the queen and babysit her majesty Queen Elizabeths colonial reptile collections but if womas were downgraded and then greens in a few years thered be no good lollies left in the bag to make the fees for class 2 licenses value.

true, they need to encourage people to upgrade. wouldnt want to remove the desire to upgrade, they want the money.

re Woma

Yes i believe its the case jason,it would be a good thing if they went down to a lower level though,ive thought it questionable some of the species up there on class two like storrs monitors,then you get some down on class 1 like mary river turtles which are endangered.Seems to depend partially it seems to self interest and collective knowledge of those of those sitting in on an advisory panel at any one time,they seem to have most things fairly right,just needs a bit of tuning and consultation with herp societies and breeders IMO

If the move happened would this increase the price of Woma's in general ?.

I think that is one of the drivers in the move to have them reclassified. Higher demand could keep the price up for a while but not that long. They would replace coastals in a few years;)

They would replace coastals in a few years;)

as in you believe they will be cheaper then coastals in a few years? anythings possible but i think they could be more popular the bhp's if they drop, it all depends on what people like but i only had bhp's for a few months before i got rid of them to buy more womas... chalk and cheese imo, but im sure there are just as many bhp keepers who would easily say the same. i dont think many animals will ever be cheaper then an average coastal.

if womas were downgraded and then greens in a few years thered be no good lollies left in the bag to make the fees for class 2 licenses value.

i think you may have hit the nail on the head.

as in you believe they will be cheaper then coastals in a few years? anythings possible but i think they could be more popular the bhp's if they drop, it all depends on what people like but i only had bhp's for a few months before i got rid of them to buy more womas... chalk and cheese imo, but im sure there are just as many bhp keepers who would easily say the same. i dont think many animals will ever be cheaper then an average coastal.

No I'm referring to their aesthetic value. We all know that coastals are only bred these days as food for other reptiles.

No I'm referring to their aesthetic value. We all know that coastals are only bred these days as food for other reptiles.

I think that this comment is bit over the top Peter.
There is lot of people enjoying coastal carpet pythons and not many is bred for purpose you mentioned.
But I don't want to start coastal topic here and take over this topic with this.:)

I think that this comment is bit over the top Peter.
There is lot of people enjoying coastal carpet pythons and not many is bred for purpose you mentioned.
But I don't want to start coastal topic here and take over this topic with this.:)

I think this is referred to as dry humour. Perhaps lost in the absence of a droll manner of speech when delivered in the written text.

Back to womas my understanding is that although agree to in principal re-classification requires a bureaucratic process with certain persons attending a meeting at a proscribed time to agree to this. Unfortunately certain persons did not attend at the proscribed time. Just human fallibility.

Does anyone know about a timetable for the updated regulations? I'm wondering whether to hang out for re-classification or go ahead and get the Class 2 license. No plans to get a woma immediately, but I'm greatly tempted by many!

It seems there is no such thing as a timetable for NPWS . It just a case of someone finding the time or inclination to finish a project. The department seems littered with half finished projects which lie unfinished because the allocated time or budget has run out. Then along comes a new broom and sweeps the deck clean to start the same project all over again. There is a distinct lack of continuity!

It seems there is no such thing as a timetable for NPWS . It just a case of someone finding the time or inclination to finish a project. The department seems littered with half finished projects which lie unfinished because the allocated time or budget has run out. Then along comes a new broom and sweeps the deck clean to start the same project all over again. There is a distinct lack of continuity!

If that is the case, that is sad. There is lot of kids who like the hobby, and would love to have woma in collection. Price of class 2 licence is high, there for they hesitate to expand.

re Woma

Your correct wokka thats how things happen at DECC,ive been involved with herps since before they were protected and things havent changed much,same old bird books they had years ago in the 1970s,onley tyhe names of departments and licenses change to screw the innocent,public service at its best.
If they put womas onto a lower cattagory then there would be a push to put others down,but they could also move some up,anythings possible who knows.

re Woma

See how flexible they are at DECC fay,ask one day and then another day four years later it happens,dont know what all the hype was about.

It Happend.
Thanks NPWS the effort to change the class for woma is highly appreciated by all in NSW.
Reptile keepers can now hold woma on class1 licence.

there is still a few animals on the class 2 that i personaly think that should be moved to class one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back