Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snakehaven

Reaction score
I have recently got a new woma a couple of weeks ago and I just left it to settle in and it has had a shed, 2 poos and ate. I got it out and it was fine just stayed there with me for about 5 minutes and my son came in to hold it while I changed her bedding, he washed his hands and sat on the bed and I told him not to move just hold the snake. That was fine, did what I needed which was only a few minutes and turned around to take the snake and she was hissing at him, slowly I took it back and it was still hissing and through itself out of my hands on the bed and I couldn't get near it. I had to get a towel and it's still thrashing and hissing. Placed it back in the box and it's striking constantly at me. What did I do wrong as I haven't had a woma before. It's 5 months old

It's just the threat display. I have a 4ft adult that does it. Most calm down when get older. Just give her somewhere to hide for the rest of the day and she should be fine.

Wow what a preformance huh?she up for an oscar for scary 5mth old woma?lol.not taking this too lightly but it is probably bluff,she's trying to work out where she fits into the family,her standing on the social ladder.and lets be honest,they're a lot like kids in that way..........don't let them throw a tantrum and get away with it or she may grow up and try to run the show.

Wow what a preformance huh?she up for an oscar for scary 5mth old woma?lol.not taking this too lightly but it is probably bluff,she's trying to work out where she fits into the family,her standing on the social ladder.and lets be honest,they're a lot like kids in that way..........don't let them throw a tantrum and get away with it or she may grow up and try to run the show.

I don't think its at all possible for a reptile to ever 'run the show'. Nor test their social standing in the family. They live in a box.

if she starts getting too stressed (which it sounds she has, with the throwing herself and thrashing) I would leave her be to settle down for a bit.

When shes just striking and biting you, I think its better to just wear the bites while they're young and keep handling.

What a load of dribble!!!

just give it a kiss and cuddle and tell it that its muched loved

I don't think its at all possible for a reptile to ever 'run the show'. Nor test their social standing in the family. They live in a box.

I agree but I do think they can get to know the outcome of a situation eg. if you put a hatchie back everytime it bites you, I think its possible that it will catch on to that. Just my opinion and of course thats a general statement.

Gently gently gently and time
Thats the secret with getting a snake to trust you

The most astounding thing about some of these replies is the fact that there is so much information on the web about reptiles.Either some people are on mind altering drugs or they have major issues,or both.
Sometimes people may not reply in the way other's might deem appropriate, however most are intelligent and can see what is humor and what is serious.
for those who are not, hmmm lucky there are some totally serious replies. I for one enjoy all the imput from the poster's
Thank-you every-one :)

There is indeed a lot of information on the web about reptiles - a plethora thereof. Problem is not all of it is sound advice and I have seen some that is just straight out incorrect. As someone starting out, in many instances you don’t have the background to distinguish what’s good advice from what is crap. The volume of information available can also be overwhelming. Unfortunately even the best of search engines often come up with spurious sites that turn out to be absolutely irrelevant and useless. So rather than spending hours trawling the net looking for a highly specific bit of information, which in this particular instance I think you would be extremely hard pressed to locate – why not hop on the forum and ask those that know. Otherwise what’s the forum for? A glorified chat room?
Blue

I have left him alone for two days but he goes in strike mode when I'm near the box as he is in my bedroom so it's quite. I don't want to stress it out but I know it needs to be handled. So what is the best for the snake? How much are they the same to bhp? I need help.

you might want to cover the enclosure for a little bit so he feels nice and safe =]

I have left him alone for two days but he goes in strike mode when I'm near the box as he is in my bedroom so it's quite. I don't want to stress it out but I know it needs to be handled. So what is the best for the snake? How much are they the same to bhp? I need help.
He does not need to be handled! This is a huge misnoma, 99% of snakes will calm by themselves with maturity.
Just leave it be for a month so it can start to settle.

just pick her up. she will settle with time. most hatching womas do it. its all bluff. just instinct.

this is a 2009 4 ft female that comes in at about 800g.
woma1.jpg

usually they grow out of it by now. shes just a freak.

just keep handling and it will calm down when she realises you arent a threat.

bhp are i little more placid in my opinion but saying that every snake is different. One of my womas regularly does this and i always end up with a woma attached to my hand. I see it as short term pain for long term gain. Its just a little scared and stressed out by whats going on. It will eventually grow out of it in the mean time you will just have to deal with it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back