Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I absolutely love the advice given here by Bluetongue1, Longqi and Yommy. It is help and advice like this that makes for such a terrific forum for newbies and
fellow "Old"hands alike. I recomend this site to many people I speak to that are considering reptiles as a hobby/pet(way of life) Books are very important to have
and learn from, but you cannot beat the hands on experience our "old"hands have... Thanx guys virtual group hug ;-)
Crystal

Snakehaven,

A few questions so that I can eliminate other possibilities -

What are the dimensions of the snake’s box?
Have you checked the temps recently? And what are they?
Where is the hide situated in relation to the heat?
What sort of movement did it exhibit for the hour on the floor?
How aware of your presence was is during that time?

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
I just tried removing my Woma hatchling from her enclosure after giving her a week to settle. She coiled up and struck when I went to pull her out. I have a larger snake hook (paint roller without the roller on an extendable handle), but may have to fashion something smaller out of a coathanger..

I was a bit scared of her (and reflexes kept kicking in), but they sure do put on a funny display.

Just remember that young snakes get eaten by everything from barramundi to ravens to monitors and even other snakes. Bluff is really their only defence and it's something they've learned over millions of years..it's going to take weeks of being able to observe you from a quiet vantage point for you to become part of the scenery rather than a threat. Make sure your temps are good, theres a decent sized hide, fresh water and just leave the thing alone for a month. And please, for the love of god, dont wait for it to 'work out where she fits into the family,her standing on the social ladder', because you'll be waiting a very long time.

^^^^^
Exactly right
Reptiles first instinct is to escape from the touch of any mammal
After a while it will get used to your hands/smell etc

honestly. just keep picking it up. it will get better with time.

my female was doing it again to me today and was striking at me. it was all bluff and headbutts, shes 4ft long. i just picked her up and she settled a bit after.

one of my hatchlings was trying to eat the click clack as i opened it today. and then my hand. and then my finger. then he settled.

time will help. its just their natural instinct. its how they survive in the wild.

Looks like no answers to my questions are forthcoming. OK.

Your woma is not feeling secure. I wonder why it should be out and about, because you said each time you go near the box it reacts to you. All I can suggest to explain that is the snake is looking for somewhere more secure to go.

As has been explained, young snakes spend their existence avoiding being on the dinner menu while trying to get enough tucker into them to outgrow most of their potential predators. As a consequence they freak out in wide open spaces because they feel vulnerable. A first enclosure for a woma should be no bigger than a 4L ice cream container.

Womas love the heat. That is why I suggested you check the temps. Preferred body temperature is 26oC but adults will bask til their body temps are in excess of 35oC.

Hides need to be a snug fit. The animal should be easily able to feel at least two sides of the hide and preferably the roof as well. It never ceases to amaze me how snakes manage to curl up in the smallest of spaces. Try some different ones. The little sultana snack cardboard boxes are good. Bandaid packets are probably too big at this stage. The cardboard packets that medicines come in are often excellent. Just cut out a third of the cardboard at the top where you open it, lay it on it side and away you go. If soiled, throw away and replace. Try having at least two hides – one in the warm spot and one at the other end.

If your click-clack is see-through, which it sounds like, you need to do something about that. The snake is not comfortable looking out and seeing lots of open space. You can block out the side walls and back using a water soluble mat paint, like poster paint or Tyre Black. Alternatively, cut out some black card or paper and sticky tape it to the faces. Don’t forget to put holes in the card or paper to match any holes in the walls of the click-clack. If still needed, in the front you can put a half size removable cover from the floor up.

Pythons tend not to drink water that has sat for more than a day. I would make it part of the daily routine to replenish the water. Do so at the same time and not at a time you are likely to feed it.

When cleaning the cage, do not handle the snake. Take it out and place it directly in a plastic bucket or bin or a calico snake bag or pillow slip. You can think about handling once the snake has settled. In the meantime, if you handle it, you are simply going to stress it more. And the snake being dropped on the bed and bounced on the floor is not helpful in achieving what you want.

You have lost your confidence in holding the snake. Go and buy a small snake hook or fashion one out of a length of decent gauge wire, such as 8 gauge fencing wire or an older style metal coat hanger. Buy yourself some gloves (already mentioned). Follow the instructions previously given as to how to get it out and you won’t have issues with dropping the poor little critter.

Then for goodness sake, give it time. It is NOT an aggressive little monster. It is a scared witless little baby!

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
Very well put together
Covers virtually everything and should be required reading

Some great points there from Blue.

Some of them even applied to my situation with my BHP.
She was very grumpy and aggressive coming up to a shed.
Some things I did to make her a bit more comfortable was putting a piece of cardboard over the side, she can see out of and I can see into.
Her hide is a bit big, so I've added a few toilet paper rolls inside it so it's snug when she goes in.

Also, when getting her out, I'm not so hesitant even though she's putting on a really good show lol. I think that made her even more nervous.
Now I can get her out without much fuss and once she's out, she settles down a lot.
Some small changes made a big difference.

I had my 5month old Woma out a again a couple of times yesterday.. She tried to strike me several times while my partner was holding her. Then, when I was holding her, she tried to strike my partner who was 2-3 metres away. After realising I was holding her (and I wasn't just a branch), she faced me and just sat there looking a bit frightened.. I just held her with minimal movement like this for 5-10 minutes.

I tried again today, and no striking this time. She did what my jungle does, tried to slither off when I picked her up. I think I didn't hesitate like yesterday, and she didn't put on a display.

Once holding her, she was fine and seemed to enjoy going out in the sun and crawling around on the grass.

Update on mental. I took it over to a guy here who deals with alot of snakes and he got it out and it was fine, crawling all over him and I'm sure it did that to make me look stupid. He sexed it and surprise surprise it's a female, so I have named it Paris (Hilton the mega b****). She is so delightful to have, NOT. Anyway he put her back in the box and then she decided to put on her mental display, and the guy said no it's just all bluff until he put his hand in and struck him and then he said now i see what you mean.So it not just me she hates, I feel better now. I have left her alone and it is day 6. She has had a feed and I have got a snake hook and getting a pair of gloves tomorrow. Then I will see what happens I suppose.:oops:

Maybe you should do what the very experienced people are telling you and leave her be!!!!

My Woma started out that way, little Randy, never ever bite me but tried so many times, I didn't handle him at all at the started till I could see him starting to trust me after maybe 3 months of feeds together n after he grew some size. As stated let it mature n when u clean n feed, you don't have to necessarily touch, but he will get used to your presence in general then u go from there, take it step by step, these things take time, none of my 5 bite or have even tried striking in over a year, although I've never been bitten by any of there as I'm very cautious, I picked up a new one today in fact, an albino Darwin, luck of the draw she is docile as ..

Not sure what else to suggest, except keep trying and leave a few days or so inbetween handling.
My new Woma tried to strike and was flighty when I first handled her. I tried again the next time. She was a bit flighty, but didn't try to strike.
That was a good 4 days ago, so I may try again in the next day or two..

Funny thing is, when I took her outside and handled her, she was an angel.

Seriously. Most juvenile womas are like that. Out of all of mine I think I have only had 2 that haven't started off like that. They s up and start striking at you when you just walk in the room and you only know they are doing it cause you hear the thud on the click clack!!

Just get it out and put it on the floor. Sit still and wait for it to calm down. Then pick it up and try again. If it has another threat display put it down. Keep trying. It will grow out of it. As long as you have given it a week alone to settle in you should be fine.

Miss cranky pants was at me again last night. Big threat display and lunging at me. I just picked her up and she settled. Put her on the floor and it starts again. Got to love womas.

Mine wasn't striking when I had her out on the grass, but she was coiling and raised up in the S position a bit.. Is this also defensive? She didn't seem interested in striking.. Just acting tough, I guess.

Yes. That is the threat display. And you will notice they move their body around so the stripes look kinda like a kaleidoscope type thing. I guess that's to confuse any predators. The striking is what they do when they are really feeling threatened. They also hiss and gurgle a bit.

hahahahaha welcome to owning pythons.
We have one in each group that is from hell.
No different from people, some are nice and some are not.
Bredli are supposed to be nice, we have one that will take your face off.
We also have one woma, one BHP that will get you any chance they can. But the others are fine...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back