Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
my red girl is like that, i got her as she didn't like people but i only handle or interact at feeding and cleaning time. And we now a mutual respect for each other.

Love the little grrr with their mouths they do squinty top pic..........

I thought they were the same as bhp but they are different and I'm trying to find out info about them on what to do and not to do and there isn't much out there or maybe I'm looking at the wrong sites. I feel bad because I haven't researched it enough before I got the snake.

bhp are i little more placid in my opinion but saying that every snake is different. One of my womas regularly does this and i always end up with a woma attached to my hand. I see it as short term pain for long term gain. Its just a little scared and stressed out by whats going on. It will eventually grow out of it in the mean time you will just have to deal with it

Give me a woma nip over a BHP lock jaw (they can be like pit bulls :) ) bally, regardless can't get a better genus of reptile imo

Give me a woma nip over a BHP lock jaw (they can be like pit bulls :) ) bally, regardless can't get a better genus of reptile imo

Yommy, my woma is far worst than my bhp. i have a 8.5ft bhp that huffs and puffs but no striking but the woma on the other hand likes to latch on and not let go. Aspitidites are a great genus and probably my second favourite behind elapids. But in saying that i love all snakes

Thanks for the help. My bhp is such a sweetie and has been a joy to have since he was 9months old and he is now 4yrs. He always wants to come out but gets the poops when he needs to go back to bed. I will just leave it alone for awhile and see what happens.

snakehaven, just act like its your bhp and handle it according

joys of python ownership my BHP at the time drew more blood then any of my woma's ever had, probably the reason i gave the BHP's away and fell for the woma's, plus the bhp's was an eating machine :)
still reckon aspidites are the best genus you can get into.

my hatchy does this constantly, Ive only had her 9 days.. Im trying to leave her alone as much as possible except for changing the newspaper/water.. and she ate no probs. Whenever I walk near the tub she starts curling up into the strike position.. jumps/strikes/bluffs - whenever Ive handled her she hasn't bitten.. just hisses and squirms a little.. I try to be as gentle as possible. so it sounds quite normal for young ones.. should grow out of it ;)

she hides under the newspaper instead of in the hides..

yeah i find that as well with the womas. they always try and find the hottest spot possible in the click clack. never in the hides. always under the newspaper.

what i have done in the past is put a pillow case over the tub so there is maybe just 1/4 of the tub in full view. then in a week or so make it 1/3 and then a week later a 1/2 and so on till it is all off. but honestly. give it a month or so and it will calm down.

thanks squinty, I covered the hot half of the tub to try and give her extra privacy and warmth after the first night, I'll be patient... hard to do when its such a cool looking python!

We all live in a box

Not much different after you die!

There appears to be a couple things going on here. A woma that smells food and expects to be fed is definitely a snake not to be taken lightly. I am wondering if your son had been handling a cat or dog or pet budgie or rat etc before he sat down and took over the snake. That would at least explain why it arced up initially. Your reactions to this situation and your son still being nearby would account for a sustained reaction. Following that the snake has had a scare and become stressed.

The advice of taking it slowly, slowly and leaving the snake for a while is very sound. It has had a rough introduction to its new digs and is reacting accordingly. A quick once-a-day check on it for the first week is the absolute max. Let it regain its feeling of security. If you attempt to handle any snake that really doesn’t want to be handled, all you will do is stress it out. At the same time you are training the snake to associate you with it being stressed. Under those circumstances, if you were the snake, how would you react to you reaching into your enclosure?

Follow the advice given. Provide it with maximum privacy until it is settled and then gradually start winding that back several days at a time. That will mean, at some stage, moving the viv into an area where there is a lot more traffic. Instruct the kids to ignore the cage and not look into it. The snake will soon enough stop reacting to passers bye when it realises that is all they are doing. This may well take a month but it is an investment in the future and the best thing for the snake, given what has happened.

To avoid getting an “I’m expecting food” response each time you got to the viv, you need to exercise a bit of discipline. Always feed your snake at the same time of day, preferably after dark as that is when they would naturally be out and about looking for tucker. Even feeding always from the one side of the viv helps. Accessing the cage for maintenance or removing the snake to handle it should always be done at a very different time to feeding. Make absolutely certain you have not handled potential food items or pets prior to removing the snake. If you have thorough wash with a strongly scented soap can help. Once the snake realises it is not about to be fed it should settle right down.

Don’t try and remove the snake from the viv if it is really putting on a full defensive display. However, if you think it might just be expecting to be fed and is reacting accordingly, then do so. I do realise it is not so easy to tell the difference but with practice you’ll get a feel for it. If the snake comes out and refuses to settle, it was in full defensive mode. Usually they will start to exit on their own. You can use a small snake hook just hold the head away from the body while you reach in and grab the body. The hook should not be used to take any weight of the snake, just to stop it from attempting to bite. After a while you should find that you don’t need the hook. If you are feeling uncertain, you can always were a pair of leather or heavy rubber gloves. That way if the snake did happen to latch on you won’t instinctively drag your hand out at a thousand miles an hour, poor snake trailing behind until your hand stops and then catapulted through thin air to land God knows where.

Good luck and be patient.
Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
As tempting as it is to handle, I'm leaving my Woma to settle (I only got her last Saturday). I only really briefly handled her when putting her into her enclosure..
My next step will be to remove the lid an see if she decides to come out.

When I got my Jungle python (a bit different, I know) she was completely evil. She would strike whenever someone walked past the enclosure. I tried to take her out of her enclosure the day I got her, and she escaped under the bed and it took a while to fish her back out. She kept striking and striking.. After letting her settle for a while, she has completely changed.

So yes, settling does seem to make a difference.

Last edited:
Wow what a preformance huh?she up for an oscar for scary 5mth old woma?lol.not taking this too lightly but it is probably bluff,she's trying to work out where she fits into the family,her standing on the social ladder.and lets be honest,they're a lot like kids in that way..........don't let them throw a tantrum and get away with it or she may grow up and try to run the show.

All I can say is... Wow.

I’ve got two womas about 5 to 6 months old ones chilled the other does what you said but it will never actually bite you! mine will sit s'ed up mouth open striking at me but never actually bite me. I have actually put my finger in its open hissing mouth one day and it gently moved its mouth off my finger. I've only had Womas for a few months now but there one of my favourite snakes I own! :)

Good to hear.. I'm itching to handle mine..

WOW... totally different to our little Woma. Only reaction we get is when he knows it is tucker time. He has been placid as since we got him in Feb.

Update on the woma, well I have covered her box and left her alone until today, well her paper needed changing, I took her out take was fine changed her paper and picked her up, she seemed to be fine and another mad fit took place, the hissing, puffing herself up and she turned around and bit me on the hand and she landed upside down on the bed then the floor. She put on a real show then, I couldn't pick her up she was having a go at everything, but nothing was there as I was on the bed waiting for her to calm down. An hour later I thought she should be ok now, well that was a mistake she bite me on the other hand so I threw a towel over her and she was attacking the towel, eventually I got her back in the box and just covered it back up. I don't know what her problem is. I won't get another one that's for sure

It must be Friday the 13th pyscho snake episode as now my bhp was wagging his tail which is a first and her flew at the cage, which he has never done before. I think I will give up!

Last edited:
Dont give up
Remember what blue put here in his excellent post
Dont panic about things
patience and being gentle are the keys to this
Right now it is scared stiff having been dropped etc etc
Leave it totally alone for a few days

This snake has no idea about what is going on
Let it relax first then use baby steps ie go very slowly and gently for short periods of time
About the bites
They would have just been tags?? ie hit you with an open mouth and didnt bite and chew?
If they were just tags now you know how little they really hurt
It is just reflex that made you drop it
One way to help avoid this reflex is to gently pick it up with something like a tea towel
Dont try to touch it with your bare hand
Let it get used to the knowledge that the tea towel is safe and wont hurt it
Then put it back in the viv again
After a few times of doing this it will start to explore
Let it do this and eventually it will crawl up your arm
Try to relax and let it know it is still safe

Gently Gently Gently

Update on the woma, well I have covered her box and left her alone until today, well her paper needed changing, I took her out take was fine changed her paper and picked her up, she seemed to be fine and another mad fit took place, the hissing, puffing herself up and she turned around and bit me on the hand and she landed upside down on the bed then the floor. She put on a real show then, I couldn't pick her up she was having a go at everything, but nothing was there as I was on the bed waiting for her to calm down. An hour later I thought she should be ok now, well that was a mistake she bite me on the other hand so I threw a towel over her and she was attacking the towel, eventually I got her back in the box and just covered it back up. I don't know what her problem is. I won't get another one that's for sure

It must be Friday the 13th pyscho snake episode as now my bhp was wagging his tail which is a first and her flew at the cage, which he has never done before. I think I will give up!

welcome to the world of aspidites. It's just their threat display because they haven't worked out yet that you are friend not foe. They will calm down and they do grow out of it (most of them anyway)
obviously your hand coming in to grab it is an issue at the moment. Go buy yourself a pen hook or make a small hook and when you want to pick her up to clean cage use that, most pythons find it much less threatening.
Worth a try instead of just giving up, you kick yourself down the track if you do that...........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back