your herps and travel?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You people obviously dont have a clue about the conditions on your licences!

It is illegal for you to take a licenced animal off the licenced premises with the
exception of removal for sale or to seek vet attention!

As for those of you that think it will advance the hobby by exposure to the public
you are very wrong!
The majority of the public regard what you are doing/advocating as offensive !

if your talking about the original post then she said that they dont need a license where she is to keep a bearded dragon....

if your talking about the original post then she said that they dont need a license where she is to keep a bearded dragon....

License or not, bearded dragon or snakes or whatever it may be, I just think it's super irresponsible for them to bring reptiles out to the public. There's no good that can come out of 'walking' reptiles.

Yes thats right in SA they dont need a licence to own 1 reptile, But when they
opt to buy another they are required to obtain a licence!

This still how ever does not in any way allow the public display of the reptile at all!

You people obviously dont have a clue about the conditions on your licences!

It is illegal for you to take a licenced animal off the licenced premises with the
exception of removal for sale or to seek vet attention!

As for those of you that think it will advance the hobby by exposure to the public
you are very wrong!
The majority of the public regard what you are doing/advocating as offensive !

really Beeman? well how come out of Everybody in the store and outside i was asked a bucket load of questions about Yoda? they were genuinely interested, there was only one girl that was slightly freaked out.
I don't need a licence just yet because i only have one reptile. its when i acquire 2 or more that i need a permit.

marcmarc said:
Some people like to actually interact with their pets and not look at them from behind glass. So many high horses being ridden......I think it is fantastic that you take your pet with you for little trips, you seem to be aware about others touching your pet etc so what is the problem? It is a good thing for the public to see how awesome reptiles are as pets.
I take my beardie for walks (sitting on my shoulder) outside when the weather is reasonable, he usually sits there and sleeps, you do what you feel is comfortable/safe.
i to also take yoda for a casual stroll around the block on nice days and he'll sit under my chin soaking up the rays. i hate having him stuck in his enclosure all the time, he loves to run around the lounge coz he has more room to stretch.

Jackrabbit said:
How will you feel if you have an accident and he is killed? will you say 'oh well I'll just get another'? or will you be really upset? If it is the later I would say it is a little irresponsible to take him out
thats like saying why would i go in a car with my sister or my cousin and i was in an accident? there will never be another yoda because no beardie will ever have the same personality or charater traits as him just like i could never have another sister or cousin and yes it would be sad but your stupid to live your life on ifs, whats, and maybes!

Latino said:
haha told ya to wait for the Judgemental's haha
seriosly how do u know if someone else's reptile is being stressed when your not witnessing it firsthand ..
ahhh u people make a good bed time story
hahahaha thanks dude

Rocket said:
The beardy gets psyched! That has to be the funniest thing i've ever read! Bearded Dragons are not domesticated pets like dogs..... it's stupid to begin thinking they are animals that can be trained and taught to do tricks

Like said, it is ILLEGAL to continuously remove your animals from the location where they are kept (as known by NPWS) and take them to shops etc as it poses a risk to the animal's health, physically and internally. This topic has been discussed before, movement of animals should only occur in necessary circumstances such as travels to the vet or during transactions. Obviously, many people earn a living by showing animals in a public setting but obviously this topic isn't about them...

People that take their animal to shops just to try and look cool or educated in front of people at pet shops are not responsible and shouldn't keep them.
Whatever Rocket!! you don't know anything about my boys personality or character traits so dont start telling me what beardies can and can't feel emotion wise because they're all different.
and I HAVE ONE REPTILE!!!!! I DONT NEED A PERMIT YET so im not breaking any permit laws and its not continuously its occasionally like once every 3-4mths!
yoda is well looked after and has not yet needed the vet so what does that say about his owner? Ohh maybe that she knows how to care for him and the differences between ill health and a healthy dragon. you may have kept reps for longer than i but they teach you alot its whether your ready to learn from them that makes the difference.
as for 'being cool' no, i don't take him out to be cool i take him out to get a change of scenery and he enjoys the car rides!

Why don't you calm down, you need to manage your anger a bit better. I understand you don't need a permit but that doesn't mean you can break the law. It is illegal, fullstop, to remove them from where they are kept! Do you know how to read? I said in accordance with NPWS records, whoever you got the bearded dragon from would have taken down your name and residential details, which are then open to inspection by NPWS officers!

Also, I don't care at all about you or your health etc, your lizard on the otherhand, shouldn't be treated like an accessory and you should treat him in the correct way. I doubt you know anything about interpreting dragon behaviour, you may think he's 'psyched' and excited or whatever, but can you talk to the lizard? No... so maybe you're the one on the high horse :lol: :rolleyes:

Does he give you high fives and tail wag when he's happy? He at least has to be able to smile right? Otherwise how would you know that he's happy and enjoys the car ride? Just curious..

I haven't laughed this hard in quite a while, I can see you're a mature individual to converse and reason with :lol:....

Being new to the herp thing I don't really have a specific opinion on this...

but I wouldn't take my dog outside the house, or let people with dogs come to mine, for the first few months of his life until he had all his Pavo/distemper injections. even then I know people can just walk into with the disease on their shoes.

so with a herp of any sort...something unvaccinated, for that reason alone i'd be afraid of taking my animals out...but yeah, that's just me.

wow! so because one person can connect with their reptile in a way that others cant even fathom and it makes that person feel more alive and her family can see how happy she is, and the fact that yoda gets excited when i open the sliding glass and runs over to me even if he's been sleeping, when in the car he sits quietly and looks out the window, just wow, guys so lack any emotion reptile just apparently belong behind glass and should not be brought out except to go to the vet....yeah that doesn't flow with me.

i can take criticism but i wont take being made fun of because i can understand how yoda feels especially from people who get pure kicks out of it

Unless you have a demo permit there are only 2 reasons for movement of reptiles off your property.....vet trips and transactions involving specifically those reptiles.

For a myriad of reasons both concerning the welfare of your animal and the wild populations of reptiles surrounding you it is illegal.
'
There are also restrictions on transportation that are enforced ,regarding the animals need to be securely held in containers, the containers themselves should be marked with their contents, your emergency contact details and your permit number etc

Cheers.
Scott

I see this thread is going turd-wise. Perhaps we need to respect the "each to their own" way of thinking. Some will treat their animals as pets, some as specimens.
Lets all get together, hug, and just accept some know it all, most don't. Critisism is only useful when it is constructive.

Seriously though can we keep it nice, offer advice, back up statements etc. Hugs.

well the concluion i draw from this is, is that alot of people hate the fact i:
take my boy for car rides
its to the petshop
i apparently stress him out and don't understand him
think i'm trying to be cool

i understand that so many of you have been keeping reptiles so much longer than i but yoda has gotten me out of the deepest of the darkest places ever and we have a connection that most people will never understand which i guess is why i'm being made fun of.
i get that reptiles are not domestic animals but i also get that they get bored sitting in their enclosures just as much as a dog does without toys.

i have acknowledged things people have said and it has been mostly tame....can we keep it that way and leave the sarcasm and the making fun of me out of it ( part about i don't understand a beardies emotions) thats not what this thread is about, i inteanded it to be about travelling and your herp not a full force brutal attack about how bad an owner i am and i need to get a grip on reality.

if you don't have anything that is constructive to say don't post please :)

marcmarc said:
I see this thread is going turd-wise. Perhaps we need to respect the "each to their own" way of thinking. Some will treat their animals as pets, some as specimens.
Lets all get together, hug, and just accept some know it all, most don't. Critisism is only useful when it is constructive.

Seriously though can we keep it nice, offer advice, back up statements etc. Hugs
thanks dude *hugs*

Seems to me that if you were to take a reptile to a pet shop to get it probed which many pet shops here offer then apparently your breaking the law? What about if you are taking it to the pet shop to compare food sizes because your not 100% confident without looking at the reptile? Doesn't the permit book say that you have to advise NPWS a maximum of 14 days of change of location of the reptiles so long as its returned within 14 days then you may not be breaking the law right? (just a possible interpretation don't flame me if thats wrong.)

Connection to your reptile aside.... I think there are a few post on this thread that have pointed out that it is actually illegal to display your dragon in public. Given that... it stands to reason that if (and chances are very slim) an NPWS officer sees you out with your dragon there is the potential that you will lose that connection with him permanently as it is a breach of the native animal codes.....

I think people who take their reptiles to shops and public places of the sort, just enjoy people looking at them and running screaming from something you are unafraid to touch.Its a pretty try hard approach to being noticed. It offers the reptile nothing but stress and often negative attention, If it is really for the reptile, take it on a field trip to your backyard to soak in some rays, not the concrete jungle clinging to your shirt for dear life, being poked and prodded and screamed at.

I don't know why it's being debated at all. It's clear people who do this are attention seekers that want to be noticed. They aren't doing it for the animals benefit at all, only for their own desire to be noticed.

These are the exact reasons NSW DECCW are cracking down on reptile keeping where animals are considered to be licenced wildlife, not pets. Whilst i don't entirely agree with them, i can now totally see why they are doing it.

By all means PLAY with your animals in your own backyard but don't draw unnecessary attention to this irresponsible practice.

Connection to your reptile aside.... I think there are a few post on this thread that have pointed out that it is actually illegal to display your dragon in public. Given that... it stands to reason that if (and chances are very slim) an NPWS officer sees you out with your dragon there is the potential that you will lose that connection with him permanently as it is a breach of the native animal codes.....

A very fair point to make.

I don't know why it's being debated at all. It's clear people who do this are attention seekers that want to be noticed. They aren't doing it for the animals benefit at all, only for their own desire to be noticed.

These are the exact reasons NSW DECCW are cracking down on reptile keeping where animals are considered to be licenced wildlife, not pets. Whilst i don't entirely agree with them, i can now totally see why they are doing it.

By all means PLAY with your animals in your own backyard but don't draw unnecessary attention to this irresponsible practice.

Perhaps you should speak for yourself and not make assumptions about other people. I take mine out very rarely for a walk around a local trail with hardly any other people around, to get some sun (he had ealy onset MBD when I took him on-came from a really bad home). It is a bit harder for me to let him run around my yard as we have a dog, and my front yard is not secure, easy to escape etc. One of the times I encountered someone else on the walk they asked me if my Beardie was venomous, silly question but understandable for some people that have never encountered reps.
I also hardly believe that I am being irresponsible, possibly breaking whatever rules somewhat, and also hardly showing off at all. There are better ways to get attention:)

Last edited:
A deserted trail is a little different to a shop full of people, you have your reasons for using the trail also, ie; you have a dog. If you did not have a dog, you'd probably use your backyard because clearly you are not seeking attention from the public.
The 1st post in this thread ended with "maybe i'm just weird like that" This is the exact approach these attention seekers are going for, "look how strange I am, I have a reptile" they want to stand out and have not found a more constructive way of doing so.

Here is a few hypotheticals for you to think about.....

So lets say that your bearded dragon is has an infectious disease and that/he she is a carrier of it that is asymptomatic (does not show signs of ill health)...you take it down to local parkland "for a walk/run whatever....it defecates and puts a new pathogen into the enviroment for wild lizards to pick up that have no immunity.....really responsible

You walk into a petshop with your friendly beardy/carpet python sitting on your shoulder....2 kids running around the shop accidently bump into you..your animal falls on the floor.....you loose it under a cabinet.....it is crushed to death by a person not looking where they put their feet.....your local parks is doing a visit...the animal is seized (on the spot and permanently...no chance of getting it back) and you get a conviction and 2,000 dollar fine....the shop then also gets charged as it was in their store (yes that is possible)

On your way back from the shop you are stopped a set of lights...its fairly warm so you have the window down...a bird flys over freaks the lizard out as you watch him go out the window and get crushed by a car

I know they are all worst case senarios....but is it really worth the chance if it could split your relationship with your pet permanently/or ruin your local ecosystem....many fauna laws are not worth the paper they are written on...this is one that certainly has its place for good reason

Cheers,
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back