We're all going to die (very soon)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How much longer now guys?
I didnt care until people at work started asking what i was going to do for the last hour of my life when i knocked off........

IMO, the people at your work are talking smack.
As stated early in the thread, the world will take 4 years to end.
But oh well I'm only an under-studying physics at high school student, lol.

How will we be able to tell if we have been sucked through the black hole? Maybe it's already happened?? Ahhh I'm freaking out!!!!! Are we in another dimension???? One where we only comunicate over computer?? I havn't seen any actual people for a while now!!! It's already happened people take cover!!!

This actually reminds me of the episode of the simpsons (maybe its futurama) when they get stuck in a black hole.. And the nerd guy is like,

"Anyone want to play dungeons and dragons for the next 40 billion years?"

http://hasthelargehadroncolliderdestroyedtheworldyet.com/

Look at the page source :)

if (!(typeof worldHasEnded == "undefined")) {
document.write("YUP.");
} else {
document.write("NOPE.");
}
And
<!-- if the lhc actually destroys the earth & this page isn't yet updated
please email [email protected] to receive a full refund -->

*EDIT* And for those wanting quotes from Stephen Hawking:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-st...the-world-will-not-end-today-115875-20730731/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/271...Large-Hadron-Collider-vital-for-humanity.html

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article4682260.ece

@ Duke: LOL thats funny ****, so linking it to my myspace page.. and telling people.

ok, i've kissed my reptiles goodbye, called my family, made peace with my enemies, and decided God is the way to go.
i'm ready 8)

HAHA thats good duke!
We arnt all dead yet so thats a good start.
[video=youtube;64JxuLOXhCk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64JxuLOXhCk[/video]

there is supposed to be an earthquake at between 5:37 and 6o'clock tonight

the world is supposibly going to end between that time but i think it's a load of bull although people at school have been crying terrified over what will happen i find it quite funny. if the world does end or we enter another dimension where computers don't work goodbye APS i will miss you!!!!!

Ersatz: yeah, nature has been doing stuff for billions of years, why would we want to replicate it? Well, nature has been making hearts beat for millions of years and we can't make anything as good as a heart (yet), but tell someone who would die without a pacemaker that scientists shouldn't have bothered replicating nature.

Wattage is a power conversion rate, not an amount of energy. You don't produce a certain number of Watts per second, you produce a certain amount of energy (joules or calories). It's like saying "My car can travel at 150km/hr every five seconds!"; it makes no sense.

Yes, this thing will not produce a lot of energy, but it's not a power factory, it's a science experiment. It's lovely that the stars are carrying out this process (well, actually, it would be but they're not - we're doing something that our sun can't), but we can't put a laboratory in the middle of the sun to check out what's going on there anyway.

We're not going to die... er... I mean, crap, we'll all be dead by 5.43am. If you need to pee during the night, don't bother getting up, just go in bed 'cause you'll be dead before you need to clean it up.

We're not going to figure out how the universe works as soon as they turn it on. It's the biggest science experiment in the history of the planet. It will take a while to run and the data set will be mind croggling and take a long time to analyse.

Oh sorry my bad :p But i'm sure you get the gist of how much power a star makes and how stupid we are to try and replicate it. Ofcourse, like you said, why would we want to replicate it, because we cannot replicate it exactly. Maybe close, but not really exactly.

As for peeing in the bed, theres an easier way. Keep a bottle bedside :)

We're not trying to replicate what goes on inside a star anyway. We're trying to work out what happens when you convert energy into matter. Go outside, stare at the sun, ask it and all you'll get is retina damage.

What you're saying is like suggesting that we shouldn't bother driving cars because they're not helping to feed the endangered pandas in China. So what? That's not what we're trying to do. Producing usable energy isn't even remotely one of the goals of the project. Do you know what happens when energy is converted into matter? Where does the antimatter go? Why do our laws of reality break down? These are cool questions to answer, and the sun can undergo fusion as much as it likes, but it's not going to answer these questions for us.

No no, I'm not against fusion I just think its kind of stupid to replicate it.

If we could use fusion as a source of energy it would be renewable, and produce good amounts. But cars aren't going to run on nuclear are they? Wouldn't they be fun questions for trivia? I hope one day they do get solved though, I love studying the universe in physics.

No no, I'm not against fusion I just think its kind of stupid to replicate it.

If we could use fusion as a source of energy it would be renewable, and produce good amounts. But cars aren't going to run on nuclear are they? Wouldn't they be fun questions for trivia? I hope one day they do get solved though, I love studying the universe in physics.

You're completely missing the point. No one is trying to produce or develop an energy source. It's like saying "Wow, using light globes is stupid because they don't provide you with energy, in fact, they use energy up! How can that be a good thing?" or "Why would you buy a battery to power your radio? That battery weighs only 10 grams! I've seen rocks that weigh millions of times more than that! That battery is so pathetic! Nature already has things which are heavier!". You're talking about irrelevant aspects of the project. The amount of force of the protons they're accelerating is about equivalent to a mosquito flying into you - you'd barely notice it. That's not the point, they're not trying to make something with a lot of inertia or brute force.

Oh, I was told they were studying nuclear fusion to try and devise a power source? My fault.
I see your point kind of, I guess its all a bit too much for my young un-educated head.

Isn't the purpose of the LHC to take photos of something to do with how the universe was created? And the after-math of the big bang or something?

No, that's not at all what they're trying to do. It's just maybe maybe a side effect which could possibly come up, but it would be due to us learning about the structure of matter and how to work with it better. It's a remote possibility, but it wasn't ever a consideration when deciding to build it. That would just be an extremely lucky bonus.

Yes, it's something like studying the creation of the universe, but it's a little more deep than that.

Last edited:
Some things in the universe have been solved, but the things left unsolved are ten-fold..

I think the universe is amazing really.

I'm guessing you believe in the big bang, do you have any opinions on the big freeze?

Some things in the universe have been solved, but the things left unsolved are ten-fold..

I think the universe is amazing really.

I'm guessing you believe in the big bang, do you have any opinions on the big freeze?

I'm not a firm believer in the big bang, but my guess is that something like it occured. I don't believe it was a case of all the matter in the universe being spontaneously created from nothing, I believe it's a cycle, either with the same matter over and over or with matter from multiple 'big bangs' meeting up, coalescing, compressing and continuing the cycle (I don't believe our known universe is actually the whole universe).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back