We're all going to die (very soon)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just dont get the hullabaloo. Some thingy will smash atoms and make a black hole etc etc....

I mean, all it's going to do is comprehensively disprove the the whole God/Bible tale? :D

No offense mate, but as a friend of mine once said to me, if you think the Bible actually needs to be "disproven", you might be in a bit of trouble yourself. If a bloke saunters up to you at the bar one night and starts telling you about giant fifteen-legged spiders eating his pet dragon, nobody should have to do anything to show you, or anyone else, that the dude's just a random friggen loony. Nobody should need to stop and think "....wait a second! A spider with fifteen legs would walk wonky! He must have been making it all up!"

Dan: it's similar to the GM debate. If the people who have spent their entire lives studying it think its safe, and a bunch of people in the letters page of the Herald Sun thinks it's dangerous... Well. I know whose opinion I'm trusting.

Are these poor attempts at jokes? They are, aren't they? Please confirm.
The first def isn't.
One gram of anti-matter reacts with one gram of matter to completely annihilate each other, creating pure energy in the forms of electromagnetic radiation (think atomic bomb :p)

The exact amount of energy produced is easily given by E=mc^2
For one gram of annihiation, you're looking at 9x10^13 kg.m.m/s.s of energy.

But all these numbers are useless for Herpers :p

p.s. has everyone seen Google's latest design?
http://www.google.com.au/

The first def isn't.
One gram of anti-matter reacts with one gram of matter to completely annihilate each other, creating pure energy in the forms of electromagnetic radiation (think atomic bomb :p)

The exact amount of energy produced is easily given by E=mc^2
For one gram of annihiation, you're looking at 9x10^13 kg.m.m/s.s of energy.

Argh! Geek! ;)

9x10^13 kg.m.m/s.s of energy.

What are these units?

kg m2????

Energy is just measured in Joules (I believe).

Ahhh.... pffft... I don't care anyway... we've only got four years to go!

But just as an aside... Why 9 x 10^13???

Oh... and if you can tell me within four years, I'd be grateful.

I wanna LEARN!!!!

Sdaji, I'd give up if I were you, you're "preaching to the uneducated" anyone who has already heard about this will have already made up their minds, no matter what you say will fall on deaf ears. they will "know" what they want to "know"...............anyone with any degree of sense will have already researched it for themselves and googled "large hadron collider" already. If they havent, they only want to know what others say obout it........... give up lad!!!!!! You're flogging a dead horse!!!!!!

You are, of course, entirely correct, and of course I fully understand what you're saying. I find it interesting to see how people react when their beliefs are so clearly disproven. Humans are incredibly stubborn and inflexible creatures with belief systems I find fascinating.

1) I never studied Mayan culture - so i couldn't tell you if their calendar was privy to GMT - so if it is then it's the 22nd of December 2012 - if not, then I guess it starts slowly with perhaps Fiji and NZ then moves to Eastern Australia etc... Should be good for a laugh if you live in Perth.

2) If you bought xmas presents, it better be a black hole protective suit. Or at least a semi humorous shirt something like... "Does my butt look big in this black hole?"

3) Ask a Mayan.

man people like to say we are all going to die, now, 2000 new years day and if ur a cristian gods comming for you anytime now......... no now......... and now..... damn

What are these units?

kg m2????

Energy is just measured in Joules (I believe).

Ahhh.... pffft... I don't care anyway... we've only got four years to go!

But just as an aside... Why 9 x 10^13???

Oh... and if you can tell me within four years, I'd be grateful.

I wanna LEARN!!!!
I was working with fundamental units there.
Subbing in 0.001kg for one gram of mass converted to energy gives the number above.
I should've done some searching on the spot and just used Joules. I wasn't sure if the conversion of kg.m^2.s^-2 was 1:1.
I didn't like using the ^ symbol, just kept it as "Kilograms meters meters per second per second" or "kilograms meters squared per second squared".

Maths is phun!
467cf28c2f1087612a8c48136623517a.png

and again from Wikipedia
So one gram of mass — approximately the mass of a U.S. dollar bill — is equivalent to the following amounts of energy: 89.9 terajoules
So I was spot on with my maths 8)

Sorry Duke... I just noted you had a typo/mathematical error in your first units...

The way I saw it (and I apologise for questioning your math worthiness) but it read:

kg x m x m / s x s which is kg m^2 s^-1

Because if you divide by s and then x by s they'll cancel - that was how I read it originally.

But glad you sorted it out...

Terajoules (quite ironic that it produces 'tera')

Duke: do you think anyone doesn't realise that you got your calculations from Wikipedia before you checked them? Oh, come to think of it, you're quite right! Oh well... Yay! Nice calculations, dude!

oh, and it's only spot on if we can fully assume good ol E=mc^2 is correct...

It's not really 100% proven...

Duke: do you think anyone doesn't realise that you got your calculations from Wikipedia before you checked them? Oh, come to think of it, you're quite right! Oh well... Yay! Nice calculations, dude!
LOL C'mon you're telling me that you don't know E=mc^2? Do it in a calculator of your own and you'll get the same number. I only saw the dollar-bill-yall reference when I was searching for energy units :p

oh, and it's only spot on if we can fully assume good ol E=mc^2 is correct...

It's not really 100% proven...
And two pages later we still haven't delved into the problem of the energy to create this anti-matter :p

LOL C'mon you're telling me that you don't know E=mc^2? Do it in a calculator of your own and you'll get the same number. I only saw the dollar-bill-yall reference when I was searching for energy units :p

What a coincidence.

Don't worry, they are fooled, but, it's going so far over their heads that they don't understand or care ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back