Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
fair go guys as she said she didnt know at the time, but fair dinkum dailyskin why wouldnt you do it now? is age catching you ;)

I wasn't having a go at anybody, just making the point that the procedure mentioned is not the reason some snakes are quiet and not inclined to bite.

Your experience with venomoids begs the question, why wouldn't you repeat that with "normal" RBBs. The procedure removes the venom glands depriving them of venom but it does not remove the ability to bite. The fact they were so placid and made no attempd to bite has nothing to do with them being venomoids.
That does not change the fact however that it is a barbaric practice.
I don't know that the placid nature of those oft-handled RBBS is really a reason to risk a bite from an intact RBBS.There's a Guttatus here that I've never seen strike at anyone and I still wouldn't touch him with a barge pole. Not because I think he's likely to bite (in fact I'm damned sure he wouldn't) but because at heart, he's an animal and still has the capability to bite, whether or not he has the "desire", and to me the microscopic risk involved in picking him up is enough of one to make me not want to take it. I'd imagine that Dailyskin's reason would be much the same. Whether a RBBS - or any elapid for that matter - is a pussy cat isn't the issue, it's the capability to envenomate that's the stalling point. Obviously not everyone will agree.

Last edited:
ScottE1.jpg

back when is was about 18

red belly, mulga, collett's and tiger

do you still have the red belly , would be 11 - 12 years old now? would like to see some pics of it if you still have it.

cheers steve

Your experience with venomoids begs the question, why wouldn't you repeat that with "normal" RBBs. The procedure removes the venom glands depriving them of venom but it does not remove the ability to bite. The fact they were so placid and made no attempd to bite has nothing to do with them being venomoids.
That does not change the fact however that it is a barbaric practice.

Oh don't get me wrong, I TOTALLY see your point, and my hypocracy!

Why wouldn't I do it with 'unaltered' RBBs?

Because, I was fully prepared for one of those three to bite me. If one was startled, or something like that. And it definately COULD have happened, even though they were gorgeous and placid.

That is just not a risk I would take with a highly venomous snake. Not because I'm 'afraid' or anything, but because I think it's an unnecessary risk (e.g. why do I need to?), and because a bite would impact more people than just myself. Particularly three bites at once :lol:

E.g. I drive a car, and know this is a risk, however I would not speed on a windy road in the rain. There is risks, and there is risks!

They truly were beautiful, beautiful animals though, the blackness was so glossy and dark.

I don't know that the placid nature of those oft-handled RBBS is really a reason to risk a bite from an intact RBBS..

Yes, I should point out, these three were clearly handled REALLY regularly! They were totally chilled and used to it!

Been collecting quotes:D:

lol greebo

yeah im not going to be free handling any elapids the closest i'll ever come is a "venomoid" as i said i wanna do all courses first.

Before I read everyone elses I was thinking that I would never get close to a venomoid becaouse of what it is, a barbaric practice even if done "properly" by a vet.

I would pay money to watch some one free handle a brown or a tiapan like you would a python.

Forget money, just go to utube, I think it is Snakehandler" that have a vid on there of a guy with lots of "pet" elapids.

HI all,

Its always funny to see non elapid keepers (or keepers of them for under a few years) to have a go at people who have been free handling before these same people started keeping.

As a 14 yr old I was free handling Taipans, Browns, Tigers, Adders, Collett's, Spotted Blacks, Red Bellies, Mulgas, Copperheads etc....I have never been bitten free handling a venomous snake.

If you can read the snake (its behavior at the time of going to handle) then it can be done with minimal risk, if you misjudge it you may get the pointy end and need to go to the hospital which may then send you to the morgue..its YOUR CHOICE.

Some snakes benefit and handle much better without the use of tools....others... tools or hands don't worry them.

The art of handling snakes in particular venomous species seems to be lost on the "internet age" herpers in Australia....It seems that your post count indicates your knowledge.

A course on handling venomous snakes cannot teach you all the required skills needed to be a competent snake handler (this includes every course presently run in Australia that I have seen) this is because they cannot teach someone EXPERIENCE in a 2 day course. While some are good to give an idea, all they give is a starting point. Unfortunately this gives them over confidence and will result in bites.

Cheers,
Scott

Cheers,
Scott Eipper

That makes alot of sense.

Hoog's if you really like elapids i really think you should stop asking for advice over the internet.

Try and find someone who has a decent collection and decent experience and get some experience. That is what i have done. That way you can make ur own mind up on topics like this one.

As does this which is what I am trying to do, but as said, it can be difficult.

Interesting thread.
Goodnight (night shift, better sleep now:rolleyes:)

Cocktail..nar with the exception of the Mulga....all you would need in Tiger A/V

As for ages in snakes...I have a collett here that is 19 years old, a Mulga and Spotted Black that are 18, the Tiger pictured in that photo i got as an adult (so 2 years old in 1995) that is about 16-17 years old now.....If you don't feed them stupidly they live for almost as long as some pythons.

The red belly is still going at a mates place (She dropped last year too)

Cheers,
Scott

Great thread keep the pics coming!! Id never try but I respect all that do...

Holding a snake whatever it is gets no respect from me. You have to do a bit more than that to earn respect in my books.

Great thread keep the pics coming!! Id never try but I respect all that do...

im totally indifferant

i can understand where some people are comeing from saying that irrisponsible keepers can be a risk the hobby however what i think is more likely is:

nothing will happen if 100 keepers get bitten over a 1,2 ,3 ect year period . however if one person gets bitten who is not a keeper while sombody is free handling thats when the poo will hit the fan.

so i guess in suming up if you get tagged by your own elapid well boo hoo to you just dont free handle while others are around or its boo hoo for everybody.

im totally indifferant

i can understand where some people are comeing from saying that irrisponsible keepers can be a risk the hobby however what i think is more likely is:

nothing will happen if 100 keepers get bitten over a 1,2 ,3 ect year period . however if one person gets bitten who is not a keeper while sombody is free handling thats when the poo will hit the fan.

so i guess in suming up if you get tagged by your own elapid well boo hoo to you just dont free handle while others are around or its boo hoo for everybody.
if you say so :rolleyes:

no one wants to get tagged by any elapids ,even the ones that do free handle ..but if you play with fire long enough ,your chances of getting burnt increase...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back