Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the bloke from Reptiles downunder at childers I was amazed how he handled these blokes MULGA (1ST PIC) INLAND TAIPAN(2ND) EASTERN BROWN (3RD)

Attachments

• DSCF7893.jpg
    DSCF7893.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 173
  • DSCF7914.jpg
    DSCF7914.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 186
  • DSCF7904.jpg
    DSCF7904.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 205
im not in any way condeming or condoning the practrise of "free handling" i still dont know enough about it and any potential risks.

there seems to be alot of opinions from people who dont even own elapids on the against side of the specturm and all them on the pro side seem to be elapid keepers.

if you dont own and have never owed elapids please dont post on the thread as quite frankly like myself you have little to no idea what you are on about. sorry to be so straight forward but its the only thing that seems to work. im trying to learn more about husbandry techniques for elapids and am not really all that interested in a debate

now back to the original reason behind the thread.
i was simply trying to get insight into the reasons behind it. why do people do it what are the pros and cons of the risk ect ect.

im not in any way condeming or condoning the practrise of "free handling" i still dont know enough about it and any potential risks.

there seems to be alot of opinions from people who dont even own elapids on the against side of the specturm and all them on the pro side seem to be elapid keepers.

if you dont own and have never owed elapids please dont post on the thread as quite frankly like myself you have little to no idea what you are on about.

Some good points there Hooglabah. At the moment i'm suffering from NMS (next morning syndrome)......similiar to DPS, but without the broken ribs.

why are you branding all elapids ? you need to be more specific with what your focusing on ...your obviously talking about the dangerously venomous elapids ...as there are many elapids that can be handled with little or no threat at all .

HI all,

Its always funny to see non elapid keepers (or keepers of them for under a few years) to have a go at people who have been free handling before these same people started keeping.

As a 14 yr old I was free handling Taipans, Browns, Tigers, Adders, Collett's, Spotted Blacks, Red Bellies, Mulgas, Copperheads etc....I have never been bitten free handling a venomous snake.

If you can read the snake (its behavior at the time of going to handle) then it can be done with minimal risk, if you misjudge it you may get the pointy end and need to go to the hospital which may then send you to the morgue..its YOUR CHOICE.

Some snakes benefit and handle much better without the use of tools....others... tools or hands don't worry them.

The art of handling snakes in particular venomous species seems to be lost on the "internet age" herpers in Australia....It seems that your post count indicates your knowledge.

A course on handling venomous snakes cannot teach you all the required skills needed to be a competent snake handler (this includes every course presently run in Australia that I have seen) this is because they cannot teach someone EXPERIENCE in a 2 day course. While some are good to give an idea, all they give is a starting point. Unfortunately this gives them over confidence and will result in bites.

Cheers,
Scott

Cheers,
Scott Eipper

i totally agree with the post count eipper as i know for a fact that you and several other keepers who have posted on this thread alone are far more expirianced than i yet i have double the posts (mostly questions funnily enough)

and i also agree with the handling courses i figure them to be similar to getting your l's when driveing its a start but by no means should you go driveing solo. and i believe the same to hold true to elapids just cuz your have done 1 or 2 day long courses does not make you competant enough to keep snakes such as browns or taipans or even somthing as placid as a rbbs or a death adder. i want to do the courses and then go out with expiranced elapid keepers and do some elapid herping and get them to also help me out with husbandry well befor i go jumping head first into what i consider the "deep end" of the herp world with out first learning to swim. only once i have learned to "swim" will i actually obtain some elapids and try and perfect my technique with some level of prior knowledge and there for reduce my risk of being bitten

Gonna have to start buying you a case every week Shane. Better than watching tv.

sssmarshies.jpg

anybody got any other pics its nice to see people who dont actually care what others think of them for once

more people die on there bmx bike than free handling elapids stupid pratice maybe if ya happy to risk a bit its all good ;)

Where's Johnno , i think he is the "risk minimisation " elapid handler ? .

Ask him , will all of his experience , he off anyone here , will be able to help you .

Cheers Mate

I thought this was a serious post for a momnet there.:lol:

lol yeah i heard that stroy. änybody who gets bit by an elapid shouldnt be allowed keep em" one week later "oh poo i just got bit"

Hoog's if you really like elapids i really think you should stop asking for advice over the internet.

Try and find someone who has a decent collection and decent experience and get some experience. That is what i have done. That way you can make ur own mind up on topics like this one.

Hoog's if you really like elapids i really think you should stop asking for advice over the internet.

Try and find someone who has a decent collection and decent experience and get some experience. That is what i have done. That way you can make ur own mind up on topics like this one.
saying that some people dont know any body who keeps them let alone some one willing to help

elapids are the best snakes in my opinon, not that I have really kept them, just from all the times I have seen them out herping, look so much cooler then pythons. pythons arnt that good to keep, everyone has them, but i do like antaresia and womas. when you say free handling elapids, do you mean the mildy venomous or the dangerous ones. thanks.

Dpeica, I bet you were nearly choking on your furry bit ,whilst you were holding them hotties.....:) :) :) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back