Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyric

Reaction score
So I have used newspaper for bedding for the 3.5 years I've been in the hobby.. But changing the paper so often gets tiering.. More so since my spotty makes it very difficult by taking and holding onto everything as if I'm never giving it back and it's life or death to keep every stick. So out of curiosity what's everyone's snake (or reptile in general) bedding of choice? All keepers I know seem to have different opinions.

I use breeders choice litter. Easy to spot clean and easily scooped out with a dustpan for changes. The only down side is the BHP constantly burrowing and shifting everything and then pooping right in that spot. Every. Single. Time!

Otherwise, it's served me well.

I used aspen shavings. It's a bit expensive though so I might look into another option.

My favorite atm is the shredded coconut husk that comes in compressed bricks. Its nice and soft plus it looks natural. Cant be lazy with cleanliness and hygene tho.

- - - Updated - - -

If newspaper is too high on maintenance then u might have some issues as i cant think of a substrate that is easier to change and keep clean.

Coir peat. $2 at Bunnings and a brick will do both my enclosures. I think free newspapers are the only thing that would be cheaper

I use aspen also. It looks good and is easy to spot clean. I do get it for half price though so that helps out lol

We use Aspen in both tanks.
The Bredli likes to push it up in piles and when she's finished it looks like a moto cross track.
The Stimmie on the other hand likes to build a network of tunnels underneath it.
May try different things in the future but they both seem happy with it & if was overly worried about the cleaning i wouldn't have snakes to begin with.

I use to use paper kitty litter but have recently just changed to newspaper as i have been paranoid about compaction. The reason i'm paranoid is that when my male hypo Proserpine coastal was a bit smaller he got a blockage from the litter, when he finally passed it after giving him a warm bath the mess and smell was really bad .So after that bad experience i only put the litter in with my bigger pythons but I would always worry so to stop the worry I just changed to newspaper.

Butchers paper or newspaper all the way.

Artificial turf is a great substrate. Once dirty hose it off and dry it out. Handy to have 2 pieces so you can replace dirty with fresh straight away. You have no fear of snake or lizard ingesting it either.

Artificial turf is a great substrate. Once dirty hose it off and dry it out. Handy to have 2 pieces so you can replace dirty with fresh straight away. You have no fear of snake or lizard ingesting it either.

The only problem with fake grass is that it doesnt do anything to absorb odour.

I use Aspen for my hatchlings and zoo med "Reptibark" for lager snakes. all seams to go well as long as they are fed in a different container with paper towel substrate.

Switched to breeders choice litter for my olive and kritters krumble for my smaller snakes. He swallows some of the litter during feeds but he's a big boy so it doesn't affect him.

I have always used newspaper. Its pretty good cause we have a local newspaper in hastings which are out the front of safeway for free. So everytime I got there I end up grabbing about 20 newspapers. I'm up to my eyeballs in newspaper. xD I used to use breeders choice kitty litter, which is also really good,

I use Paper towel, newspaper or butchers paper. It doesnt look very pretty, but it is pretty good at absorbing and it doesn't get ingested. I take my guys out in the yard regularly so figure they get to feel nature that way. Each to their own ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back