Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KatanaRamirez

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi, I've never had a snake or any other reptile before but I've always liked them and was considering replacing my fish (which are getting to be a bit of a pain - won't stop breeding) with a snake. My current fish tank/prospective snake enclosure is (just copied and pasted from product specs. I know I won't be needing the filter :) ):

Dimensions 176(L)x48(W)x69.6(H)cm
  • Curved Glass Aquarium (12mm Glass)
  • Seamless front and side glass creates optimum viewing
  • It comes complete with a biological wet/dry filter (activated carbon, ceramic rings and filter wool, pump - included)
  • Also comes with lighting installed, and glass lids.
  • Suitable for both fresh and salt water fish
So I'd like to know what species would be best for a beginer and can be kept in my tank?
What equipment I'd need to buy?
If I need to make any modifications to my tank?
Any hints and tips?

I'd like to start with a hatchling.

A mac or childreni.
but you would need a click clack first as it would be to big for a hatchling.
You would need a heat matt.
Also some sort of substrate, a thermastat and a few hides. cold and hot ends.

Having a glass enclosure does cost a little more to heat as glass will disapate the heat easier than a wooden enclosure.
I am sure you will get a lot of help on this site

what state are you in? some states have restrictions on the kinds of snakes you can keep

First thing will be to make sure the lid or top is escape proof ....
That size is way to big to house a small hatchling IMO .
Most hatchlings will be better off living in a small enclosure or tub set up .
I would sell the tank and put it towards a nice snake , then when its grown to a good size ( which may be a year or so ) put it in a wooden enclosure , they hold heat much better , are much more secure than fish tanks .

I live in NSW and my choices with a class 1 license are:
Children’s Python
Spotted Python
Pygmy Python
Stimson’s Python
Black-headed Python
Common Tree Snake
Water Python
Olive Python
Carpet Python (only for "subspecies" not known)
Centralian Carpet Python
Jungle Carpet Python
Western Carpet Python
Eastern Carpet Python
Carpet/Diamond Python (natural intergrade)
Murray/Darling Carpet Python
Diamond Python
Top End Carpet Python
Slaty-grey Snake
The 2 in blue are the ones I liked the most off the list just from looking at a few pics.

Last edited:
BHP's are a good looking python , most will make a good first snake though ..

what was the other blue one , there is only one there ???

BHP are a great snake but may be intimidating for a new keeper.
They show alot of bluffing which could be mistaken as aggressiveness (hissing & mock striking)

i got a pair of maccie(spotted) hatchies as my first in nsw, they are fantastic little snakes

Sorry, I disagree. I think a BHP would not be a great first snake, unless you read a lot of info about them first so that you know what you are in for.i.e being psycho feeders.

Last edited by a moderator:
Psyco feeders????

Womas and BHP's ( aspidites) are very food orientated pythons , and will / can bite first and ask questions later , ....Fay has a good point , they are both very good looking , but there may be better first snakes , unless you are not concerned about the odd bite .:lol:

I don't know about psycho feeders as I havn't had many that would take food from my hands. Majority would only accept food (rather slowly at that) off the floor & reminded me alot of vens.

However from reading others experiences I would say they have a strong feeding response if they they think it's lunch time & may mistake handling for feeding if they they smell food on your hands. And once they latch on it takes awhile before they realise the mistake & let go. You should practice using soap or hand wash before any handling anyway to avoid this with any species of snake IMO.

jungle's are great feeders so are easy for beginers in that respect. They get a bad reputation for being snappy, but with some regular handling the hatchlings mostly calm down.

Do they have any special requirements? I don't mind having to put in the extra time/effort. I would like to know what they are first though (requirements) so I can get everything I need and be prepared, I wouldn't want to nknowingly neglect them.

No they are just like any other carpet. Maybe a bit more humidity around shedding time is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back