Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So who wants to check the place out with me??
I'm there Shermy, tell me when and where.... 8)

I think it's sad that almost everyone who's posted on here knows of someone or heard a story of someone stealing herps from the wild. I met a guy once whilst with a friend looking at some herps to buy. He openly bragged about heading up north and coming home with over 40 ackies, 50 vitties, sand goannas and a few perenties. I was blown away that this guy had the hide to assume that I was ok with it. :evil:
The person I went with apparently told the appropriate authorities, but what happened from there I'm not sure. But hopefully he got what he deserved. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I think it's sad that almost everyone who's posted on here knows of someone or heard a story of someone stealing herps from the wild.

And people wonder why pet shops are so hated.

And death penalties for selling illegally collected reptiles.

the bush across the road from my house was completely packed with geckos wen we moved here about 7 years ago. I found out where exactly to find s. leaf tals and leuseur's velvet geckos and some kids were watching me and my friend lookin in crevices. half an hour later these f*@kwits walk up to us and ask what we r doin. we reply nuthing but one of the kids looked in a crevice and saw a leaf-tail. From then on it was really screwed. Almost every sandstone exfoliation was ripped apart and rocks and logs were smashed up. I still find geckos but not as much. And if the vandalism wasnt enough about 4 months later the bushfires of 2001 came through and with no real places to hide the geckos didnt stand a chance, especially the velvets. Even though i didnt know at the time that my friend and i were being watched i have to blame myself in some way for the distruction of this environment. I still know a few places in which are loaded with almost every herp species in the sydney region and i suspect broad-headeds to be there aswell, for this reason i dont tell many people. But so far, these r the reptiles i hav encounted there-wood geckos, leaf-tails, leaseur's velvet geckos, red-bellies, yellow-faced whipsnakes, e. brownsnakes, e. small-eyed snakes, green tree snakes, robust blindsnakes, cunninghams skinks, blueys, copper tails, (about 10 more skinks), eastern snake neck tortise, sydney-basin short-necks, e. water dragons, beardies, jackies,mountain dragons, lacys, goulds monitors ect. This place kiks a*se and as there r lots of big, steep jagged cliffs, vandalists better hope that i dont catch em there.

When people say about best herping spots? Aren't they supposed to just be going to have a look and see what's around?? Not taking reptiles from the wild?? If they take anything from the wild they should be shot hey??

Exactly right RR. It's a pitty you can't go and take somebody to your favorite herping spots anymore for fear of having it destroyed.

I'd be be keen to have a look as well Teamsherman.

What sort of herps do you get there?

Cheers

It would be good to get someenone with lots of herping experience so they can find the best spots etc. I know some theory but haven't done too much in the real world :)

Think I've seen about 6 snakes in the wild in 29yrs!

I'd love to see some browns, rbbs and diamonds in the wild.

Peterrescue or bigguy would be useful team members. anyone else with wild herping experience?

I can show you the sites but since I started wearing glasses I am finding hard to spot things.
My night vision is shot. When I do rescues these days I get the caller to pput the end of my white stick on the animal.

i'll point the stick you grab it!
lol
i think shermy has a band of ready and able people to follow like puppys!
lol

The place has every kind of environment from a deep valley rainforest to dry flat desert like plains. Quite a unique diversity actually.

Ive personally seen adders, rbb, carpets, water dragons, beardies, skinks-a-plenty, turtle and many many more.

I remember once before i was fully into reptiles, i pulled up on one for the PRIVATE roads and was touching a snake that was sunning itself on the road. It was very short and stumpy, with a grey camouflaged pattern. I now know that the snake i was harrassing was some sort of ADDER!!! yes folks, in my reptile naivety i was touching a potentially deadly snake, but i do remember at the time it was really slow and didnt care that i was there, the time of year was september and driving along a hot dirt road, i would have seen about 100 sunning sexy snakes in the space of about a klm.

Cheers, Alan.

Linus said:
Peterrescue or bigguy would be useful team members. anyone else with wild herping experience?

Thanks for the build up linus but I dont stack up to it. I am just an enthusiast who is still learning. I have just been lucky and interested over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back