Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Liberated said:
How about around brisbane?? not to much being said about that. even Ipswich if anyone has ever heard of it. ;)

If your looking for reptiles in Ipswich there are a lot of water dragons and the occasional beardie at Denmark hill conservation park.

As a New person to your group, I'd like to come along, I could even fit another 5 people in my 4wd. 8)

indicus said:
You only have to read a book............so whats new?, that would be interesting.
I'm not quite sure what you are trying to say....but if it was an attempt at humour, well it wasn't. :?

My roof at the moment has a couple of good sized diamonds. They have come in for the winter and do so every year.

Hey I've seen some spectacular browns out Paluma way last time I was there, they're creamy kinda yellowish with bands of orange/red. Has any1 on this site seen them anywhere else? I've talked to a few ppl from that are and they say its the norm there.

If there is a group or two planning to go out and see some herps in the wild i would love to come along i have never seen a herp in its natural surroundings.

I believe Out at Woodridge way..Along Wembley road, near the Logan motorway is a good area too. I have seen a few Carpets out there and unfortunately saw a 4-5 foot Carpet squsihed on the road yesterday.......:(

What are some general hints with regards to finding herps in the wild? I'm not after any locations specifically. Like what sort of area has pythons and lizards? The 2 main pieces of advice I've been given in the past is 1.Go on a drive on a warm night and keep your eyes peeled. 2. Near water sources.

A good herping spot for brown snakes and RBB is under my mums chook pen. Recently She got stuck in the pen till the brown wandered off out of the area.

What other types of location is a good idea? Will be around gladstone and rockhampton area.

My place seems to be a good place if you like blueys, beardies, browns and blacks. And you can;t take them form the wild here, they do it themselves. I've had RBB's inside and always get beardies on the outside of my lizard pit. the poor old blueys are always getting attacked by neighbours dogs.

And hey sherman. with a name like "sherman" and a place full of ordnance you wouldn't be in the military would you?

The bluies love my place too, I have one possibly two that live on my block of land on its own. My brother wandering home from a pub drunk one night saw a 6ft carpet on the pathway. The road to my mums has beardies at a few points (near dams usually). Ideally I would like to see more monitors and snakes. I'm a big fan of the primeval thunder lizard look.

A year ago Mum vacuumed a small RBB that was sheltering in the tea towels in the kitchen.

My daughter's friend lives at Silverdae and they have a regular visitor to their chicken pen eating their eggs. It is a 4 foot lacie. They took a photo for us and want us to take the lizard. Of course, we wont but they are nice people and won't hurt the lizard or even try to get rid of it. Not everyone is bad.

I would love to come with you if you guys are planning a herp trip. Would really love to see some animals in their natural environment....

peterjohnson64 said:
My place seems to be a good place if you like blueys, beardies, browns and blacks. And you can;t take them form the wild here, they do it themselves. I've had RBB's inside and always get beardies on the outside of my lizard pit. the poor old blueys are always getting attacked by neighbours dogs.

And hey sherman. with a name like "sherman" and a place full of ordnance you wouldn't be in the military would you?

hehehe, the sherman nick name didnt come from anything military, but yeah, im in the circus...oh, i meant Army!! lol

Yeah mate, I'm ex-army and have seem squillions of herps during my paid visits to the donga. The Sherman thing did throw me though 'cause there aint any tanks or even APC's now in Sydney is there? And I guess you are referring to Holdsowrthy areas?

Yeah, the range out there is pristine environment cause we look after it now with all the tree hugging rules in place. Cant even dig pooh pits anymore!! lol Last time i did some work out there i was stopping every couple of hundred metres to check out the snakes basking on the roads. So i think this year should be a good year for it out there, i might even head out there this weekend if the weather looks alright.

And yeah, all the big hardware moved up to the north years ago, they've got a nice little choco APC squadron there still though.

Being in Western NSW it is not uncommon to see snakes inthe local shopping car park. A group of mates and i regularly book hunting properties for our herping trips and the silence at the end of the phone is very funny when you say we will be using a 5.5megapixel semi auto-matic kodak. We often find very rare herps and those that are a completely different morph. One christmas we were lucky enough to find 3 wild womas, and that was in NSW. Some other fantastic sites have been pure bright orange collets, pure white shinglebacks not albino, beardies of all wonderful colours. And the best part is they are still seen on our trips. The other day we actually caught some young fellas catching lizards and snakes along the river and we cut them a deal, if you let them go and you get your licence you can come around to my house and i will give you a reptile of your choice, and they did they used my printer for the licence application and they have picked out pythons, water dragons, shinglebacks, blue tongues and the little fella wanted a turtle. My Logic by me giving them some herps that i have bred that havent cost me anything means that the natural populations remain and they will be there for people to see or run from in years to come.

Oh Shucks!! Just count me in on ya field trip, whats a 6-7hour drive to stand in the way of a herping adventure. Does anyone know of any good herping spots near Ulladulla? PM if you would rather not advertise. I have a canoe this year to get around burrell lake to see if there are any joe blakes. Last year i went out on a fishing trawler to see if i could catch my first sea snake but it was around the same time as the tidal wave in asia and it sent too cold a currents and i didnt catch any, maybe this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back