Cane Toads.

Discussion in 'Australian Snakes' started by Wombok, Mar 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stuart

Stuart Site Admin Staff Member

Fair enough assessment considering the different experiences.

2. One group's opinion on a highly emotive subject is hardly definitive. Especially when it considers a commercially produced product to be acceptable yet a near identical home made soloution is considered unacceptable.

3. mitchR1

mitchR1 Active Member

I did reply to your original post however because i quoted mine was deleted too. Before you think that because visually the toad doesny seem distressed doesnt mean its humane. The substance you said you used, do you know why it kills them? It short circuits their central nervous system essentially and then kills them. it can be compared to death by slow electrocution. should probably do some reading before taking a simple visual Que that what your doing is humane.

4. Lachie3112

Lachie3112 Not so new Member

I just don't see why some people still think that whacking a toad is unacceptable. A quick blow delivered to the head would easily kill it, with little suffering. Gassing works, but from reading that article it says that it must be exposed to >90% CO2 for a minimum of 4 hours. That's not really easy for one person taking out the occasional toad, let alone cost effective for that person.

IMO if you see a cane toad, whack it. Heck you could even shoot it if you had a gun. Sure there are other methods, but I think for the everyday person, the easiest way of killing cane toads is a blow to the head.

5. BigWillieStyles

BigWillieStyles Well-Known Member

I live in the Kimberley now, and last weekend visited kununurra where i was shocked by the only recent arrival of the cane toad and the sheer number of them. In my honest opinion killing the odd toad is unlikely to make any difference to their impact on the environment. The whole situation is pretty sad.

6. Tobe404

Tobe404 Well-Known Member

What are the chances of them spreading through the whole Country?
    I'd say it's pretty good, especially given that the weather seems to be warmer than usual lately, and for longer periods of the year.

7. redbellybite

redbellybite Almost Legendary

when I first moved to Queensland it was a main mission to get rid of every cane toad that I came across,unfortunantly I also came to realise that for every one that was "put to rest" hundreds more were still here ..they're babies can survive in the most extreme living conditions ,like a warm muddy puddle after some heavy rain,frogs cant do this ..and after the last few floods ,sadly we are inundated with plenty more ..I hear their calls more often than frog calls..and to now be totally honest Ive also learnt to tolerate them hanging around..

8. disintegratus

disintegratus Very Well-Known Member

I think, like any vermin, yes each one you kill is a drop in the ocean, but every one makes a difference, however minute. For example, yesterday I caught a mouse. I know very well that there are millions more in this suburb alone, but what was I supposed to do? Release it to allow it to continue to breed and contribute to the problem? No thank you, I'll do the responsible thing every time.

9. PythonLegs

PythonLegs Very Well-Known Member

Havent seen a wild frog in...well, a long time.

10. Justdragons

Justdragons Very Well-Known Member

Jeez that kicked off quickly

I agree to euth them but the ways in which some people take pleasure in killing them disgusts me. people claim to love animals and then will willingly make a critter suffer to death by golf club or cricket bat. Bit rough.

After all the soul in that animal didnt choose to be a filthy cane toad..

11. Lachie3112

It's not really making it suffer if you hit it with a golf club or cricket bat, unless you do several half-arsed hits instead of one committed hit.

If you give it a whack to the head, it's just as effective as gassing it, though much quicker. You could even stomp on its head and it would work, with little suffering and almost instantaneous death. Some people think it's cruel because it looks violent when in reality it isn't really unless you don't know what you're doing.

12. borntobnude

borntobnude Guest

But reading to the bottom table these unacceptable methods can be A) efective
    B) cost efficient

Nowhere in this article is the NINE Iron mentioned as efective or not .
    In my studdies i have found that an initial HIT to stun followed by a second more controlled shot either puts the animal over Mums creek or a good clean shot can decapitate or disect the animal pryor to expulsion from my mothers yard .
    Studdies carried out inhumanely by young boys have found that rarely will an offending animal return to Grandmas yard ----about 1/1000

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2013
  13. Lachie3112

Ok :D
    But it is still effective and humane unless you don't stun it with the first hit and kill it with the second. People who "putt" the toads are the ones being inhumane.

14. adderboy

adderboy Active Member

I'm not sure what the theological stance is on this, but the broader question of whether animals (or even humans) have souls is very much a debatable point.

But why is a cane toad "filthy" for just being a cane toad? They are what they are thanks to evolution - they just aren't WHERE they should be, and homo sapiens is to blame for that.

15. Stuart

Stuart Site Admin Staff Member

Not a viable excuse to base your actions on.

Last i checked, its more cost effective and efficient to decapitate a snake in your yard rather than call a snake catcher. Doesn't make it right.

16. Robynne

Robynne Not so new Member

Cane toads

Hi people, just thought I would add something to this old topic. I have recently moved, while walking my dogs I came across a little billabong on council land. I looked down and saw thousands of lttle baby frogs jumping around. I was really pleased to see soo many of what I thought might have been australian froggies. There was litteraly thousands of them.
    BIG DISSAPOINTMENT. THEY WERE CAND TOADS.
    I think the coulcil should be getting in there and spraying them, I was horrified. Since then I have found 8 in my backyard, and my dog plays with anything that jumps or runs.
    Im sorry to say all you toad lovers that I go out almost every night with a clof club and kill as many as I can find.
    There death is quick, so dont get on my back about it, but these toads are destroying everything.
    Anybody with me on this?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2013
  17. Chanzey

Chanzey Well-Known Member

Not with the "spraying".

18. riotgirlckb

riotgirlckb Not so new Member

yeah look I don't agree with killing any animals unfairly at all but these guys are doing more harm than good

19. paultheo

paultheo Active Member

the govt should put a price on their hind legs like they did for foxes, these things are just one of many mistakes the govt. made and they should be responsible for eradicating them, and it should be carried on by whichever party gains power. just my opinion.

20. borntobnude

borntobnude Guest

probably not but it IS what is written . And very possibly i would decapitate a "feral snake " also . Yes they didnt have the choice to come here or not but they are here and doing damage to our natives . A bit like the "darling Deers "in the royal national park but too many people now care about the feeling of things that it is just too hard to get rid of them :shock:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.