Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alex_c

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
well im considering getting into geckoes. what do i need in terms of housing? and what are some good species to start with?

cheers

I don't have gecko's but I have been looking into getting some eventually.

I think most people use glass fish tanks (or the Exo-Terra enclosures with the opening front doors). From my understanding (though I could be wrong), I think stuff like U. milii and N. levis are good to start with..?

But I'm sure someone with more experience can provide better answers. I'd be interested to know too.

Get either Levis or Oedura marmorata as they are both dead easy to keep. There are a few other species that are slightly more fiddley, but as a general rule, most of the commonly available species are dead easy to maintain.

Terrestrial geckos require little more than a tank of sand and a heat mat. Red sand is best for burrowing species as it holds it's moisture and as a rule the burrows won't collapse as easily.
A two foot tank is fine for a pair.

Aboreal geckos, as a rule, can climb glass so a completely enclosed tank is necessary.
http://www.strictlyreptiles.com.au/...id=417&zenid=88cdd1ec48a8cf27c2d7e73cdbfdf05e

Strictly Reptiles have this for sale, It's what you'd need for a pair or trio of velvets or strophurus.

-H

I have Strophurus in Exo Terras (Southern and Northern Spiny Tailed) and Bynoes, Velvets and Marbleds in tubs.

Side opened Exos are easier than tubs, and give better viewing. However Exos being glass and well ventilated at the top loose a lot of heat so its harder to keep stable temps (not a big problem if they are in a part of the house that gets cooling and heating in the appropriate seasons). Speaking of viewing, Strophurus tend to bask on their sticks during the day, the others hide so you may want something like the strophurus that you can see a bit more.

I've also found my strophurus to be less timid than the others too (not sure if its just my particular geckos), which is handy when opening the enclosures for feeding etc. This is particularly difficult with fast climbing geckos and the top opening tubs since the lid is either on or off. Front opening doors are a lot easier. Alternatively the U millo or Levis aren't plastic climbers so these in a tub would be OK. I'd like to convert to 30x30x30 Exos in place of the tubs, but Exos aren't cheap and I'd rather spend the dough on more geckos!!

So I would go for Strophurus, in an Exo Terra, with a small heat mat under 1/3 of the enclosure, thermostat (the exos have specific sliding cable entry points to insert the probe and keep it sealed), 50/50 sand/peat substrate, a few sticks and a hide or 2. These need a bit of UV, so I would use a compact max 'kit' which comes with a reflector that you can just rest on the top mesh. I use the 30x30x45 Exos but you could go for 45x45x60's.

are the levis terrestrial or arboreal? and do they require lighting or just a heat mat and thermostat?

thanks for the answers guys really appreciate it:)

levis are terrestrial. I use just 75w bulb which is about 30cm above one side, provides a decent temp of aroun 29 degrees give or take.

Originally used a heatmat but found this dried the hell out of the sand all the time which is really frustrating since the sand will either become rock hard or crumble to pieces not holding burrows. id say go the lighting ;)

im also interested in geckos, and am taging along for the ride.
what UV bulb would they need, 2.0?

Hi Alex,

I would recommend very strongly starting off with Thick-Tailed Geckos (Underwoodisaurus milii). They are IMO the easiest gecko to keep. There's a great article I think written by John McGrath in Reptiles Australia a few issues back.

Cheers,
Andrew

im also interested in geckos, and am taging along for the ride.
what UV bulb would they need, 2.0?

no need for a uv bulb mate, just a regular heat emitting one. I use URS night globes which seem to work well for most of the day. And i try to turn the lamp of at night

also, how much do they go for, cost wise? and then where from; who would you reccomend?

thanks in advance

Last edited:
Hi,

I keep Levis Levis.
I keep mine in tubs, I use a heat mat to heat under 1/3 of the tub.
I dont use any lights or UVbulbs, as they are nocturnal there is no need for UV (So I believe),
I just dust their crickets with Calcium and Multi-Vitamins every few feeds.
I keep the warm end @ 28 and I spray the sand up the cool end every few days to keep a moist spot for thhem to dif their little tunnels :)

They are quiet easy to look after, although dont really like being handled and are more of a look at Reptile,.

Be warned once you buy one, you will want another, anda another,.... and another,... very addictive,...
They

All the best, Im sure whatever u choose u will be happy ;)

Kelly:)

haha, sorry, i meant the geckos :)

i saw $15 and thought wow, ill buy 100... sadly, im sure they cost a bit more...

Hi,

I keep Levis Levis.
I keep mine in tubs, I use a heat mat to heat under 1/3 of the tub.
I dont use any lights or UVbulbs, as they are nocturnal there is no need for UV (So I believe),
I just dust their crickets with Calcium and Multi-Vitamins every few feeds.
I keep the warm end @ 28 and I spray the sand up the cool end every few days to keep a moist spot for thhem to dif their little tunnels :)

They are quiet easy to look after, although dont really like being handled and are more of a look at Reptile,.

Be warned once you buy one, you will want another, anda another,.... and another,... very addictive,...
They

All the best, Im sure whatever u choose u will be happy ;)

Kelly:)
lol thats the plan haha im already looking at getting 10 exoterra terrariums from urs wholesale with my dads abn lol;) thanks for the info

lol oops my bad,

well that depends on what your looking for, not to sure on the price ranges over east but ime pretty sure levis are anywhere in between $150 to $250 depending on age, sex etc.

Depends on the species,.
Levis Levis Hatchies go for $150, Adults anwhere frome $150-250 (although adult females rarely come up for sale ) I have a male for sale at the moment .
All the hatchies will start coming out for sale soon.

I also keepAmyae and Asper but they are alot more expensive..and not reccomended as a first Gecko

I dont keep milii,although, .. I hear they are a great first gecko and I have seen them go from $90-$150.

But there are many other species out there to choose from,.... :)

I have Strophurus in Exo Terras (Southern and Northern Spiny Tailed) and Bynoes, Velvets and Marbleds in tubs.

Side opened Exos are easier than tubs, and give better viewing. However Exos being glass and well ventilated at the top loose a lot of heat so its harder to keep stable temps (not a big problem if they are in a part of the house that gets cooling and heating in the appropriate seasons). Speaking of viewing, Strophurus tend to bask on their sticks during the day, the others hide so you may want something like the strophurus that you can see a bit more.

I've also found my strophurus to be less timid than the others too (not sure if its just my particular geckos), which is handy when opening the enclosures for feeding etc. This is particularly difficult with fast climbing geckos and the top opening tubs since the lid is either on or off. Front opening doors are a lot easier. Alternatively the U millo or Levis aren't plastic climbers so these in a tub would be OK. I'd like to convert to 30x30x30 Exos in place of the tubs, but Exos aren't cheap and I'd rather spend the dough on more geckos!!

So I would go for Strophurus, in an Exo Terra, with a small heat mat under 1/3 of the enclosure, thermostat (the exos have specific sliding cable entry points to insert the probe and keep it sealed), 50/50 sand/peat substrate, a few sticks and a hide or 2. These need a bit of UV, so I would use a compact max 'kit' which comes with a reflector that you can just rest on the top mesh. I use the 30x30x45 Exos but you could go for 45x45x60's.

don't mean to hijack the thread but what are the bynoes like to keep?

Leigh, Strophurus, although don't have high UV requirements, should have some UV, the others don't need any.

Wood Nymph, I haven't had my Bynoes long, but they are pretty easy. Can be kept in an open top tank with a heat mat up one end or a low wattage lamp above. I've heard some people don't even give them any additional heat in the warmer months.

Depends on the species,.
Levis Levis Hatchies go for $150, Adults anwhere frome $150-250 (although adult females rarely come up for sale ) I have a male for sale at the moment .
All the hatchies will start coming out for sale soon.

I also keepAmyae and Asper but they are alot more expensive..and not reccomended as a first Gecko

I dont keep milii,although, .. I hear they are a great first gecko and I have seen them go from $90-$150.

But there are many other species out there to choose from,.... :)
are the asper and amyae really much harder too keep? or just extra work etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back