Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Simple answer; choose a Terrestrial, low maintanence species like N.levis (all 3 ssp), U.milii or H.binoei.

Geckos mostly drink by licking water droplets off of their face, eyes and their surroundings. In saying that, the geckos and the enclosure should be sprayed 2 or 3 times a week with clean water. Many geckos will also lap from shallow water bowls which should be present.

I also keepAmyae and Asper but they are alot more expensive..and not reccomended as a first Gecko

:)

Dont know that I fully agree with this statement. Yes, amyae and asper are more expensive, but I personally think they are far easier to keep than any smooth Knob-tail. If you had the money, I'd reconmend amyae inparticular (less flighty than asper) as a first Gecko. These were the first geckos I ever kept and bred.

It is well known that Amyae & Asper are more finicky and flighty than Levis etc,.
As I said though I have not been keeping Geckos for long and I have them and havnt had any hassles so far.
But generally they are not a very popular first gecko,. doesnt mean to say they cant be.

It is well known that Amyae & Asper are more finicky and flighty than Levis etc,.

Please dont think that I am picking on you Gecko, because it isn't the case, but where are you getting the idea, that amyae and asper are more "finicky" than levis from? Have you had a bad experience with them?
As, I said, I agree that asper are flighty, but amyae (well all of mine anyway) are like any well behaved bearded dragons and there are members of this forum who can attest to this.
I'm just interested to know where people are getting this misconceived idea from.

Lol,.. I didnt think you were picking on me,. im not that easily offended.

I am just stating a fact that Asper & Amyae are not a 'popular' first gecko,. not to say they cant be a first, . they just are generally not.

Levis in my opinion are easier to handle, breed etc,. ther are not as quick .
My Amyae have more than settled in now, but when I first got them I only had to walk in the room and they would freak out,. I have never seen a Levis do that.

Like I have said, if some one wants Amyae or Asper as their first gecko, . then read up, save up and get em,... simple.

& Like I said I have not had any hassles with mine, other than I am not having any luck hatching their eggs,. where as the Levis I am having troubles stopping them from breeding,. the males been out for a couple of months now, and I am still getting eggies!,.. so in my opinion Levis are a preffered first Gecko rather than an Amyae or Asper,. for alot of people it is a $ factor.

Anyone that has been thinking about Amyae or Asper I say go for it,. they are awesome little critters and by far my Fave! :)

Nice to know your not easily offended Gecko, as that was not my plan.
You'll find most species of gecko can "store" sperm. Basically I put the male over my females in September and they produce viable clutches through til now even. As long as food is kept up to them. If you want your levis to stop, cut back the food you are giving them. Hope this helps.

I have oedura coggeri and they are arboreal. I have them in a glass fish tank with a mesh lid. No problems at all and easy to keep

OzGecko,
Do you know if U.milii have the same ability to store sperm as the Nephrurus do? Never heard it mentioned but assumed it would be the same due to the similarities of the genuses....?

Hi Shawn, I dont see why U. milii wouldnt store sperm, but I havent had any experience in breeding them to back this up. Give it a try if you've got the space. Separate your pair, introduce the male to the female late August early September for a week or 2, then separate them off again. Just keep the food (good quality with supplements) up to the female and see how it goes.

I am aware they can store sperm, but for how long?
Also , I dont really want to cut back to much on their food, cause ide like to fatten them up after they have been laying.

But thanks for the suggestion :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back