Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Umm, to be honest they arnt really any extra work,
They are just quiet expensive and not usually kept as a first gecko.

In saying that , I am no Gecko expert and have only been keeping them the last 6 months and I have a pair of each, and have more on 'order' and see no reason why you couldnt keep them as long as you read up on them etc as I said not the most popular 1st Gecko ;)

and also does anybody know what we can keep in victoria?

all this gecko talk is arrousing my interest, can anyone reccomend a breeder for the 'milii's?
and sorry for hijacking this thread, and sorry for asking so many questions, but thanks for answering :D

First thing you should be doing alex c is looking into what you can legally keep in VIC.
Next step is to research using the search function- i STRONGLY recommend looking into either N.Levis or U.Milii. Extremely low maintenance gex.

Being first up, you really shouldn't be considering Amyae or asper by any means.
Strophorus i find to be a little more finiky(?) than the likes of milii and levi so i would tend to steer clear initially. Maybe a second or third purchase. And yes they are UV dependent.

1yr (ish), although the female is quiet big for her age and appers she could be gravid :)
The male is a nice white colour especially at night,..

Without trying to hijack the thread, for those of you interested here are some pics...
http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63759&highlight=asper

nice gotta be stoked with that hehe, specially if she is ;)

Wanna put me down for a pair from march next year onwards :p

and is it possible to breed sibling geckos, i know u can with snakes, not to sure bout geks though lol

twiggz, im intrigued, do you have any photos of your geckos to post for our viewing pleasure?

Leigh, heres some of my strophurus. Not sure why some (Hi Matt) would say not a great first gecko - they were mine and I haven't killed any yet!!! :) Just make sure you do your research and know what you need for them.

Southern Spiny tail (Strophurus intermedius)
Goldentail Gecko (Strophurus taenicauda). This cute guy I got from Twiggz.
Northern Spiny tail (Strophurus ciliaris). (note pic belongs to 'Ari', but the gecko is now mine, so I'm sure he won't mind!) Standard ciliaris aren't this colour, but these are NICE!

If these aren't enough to sway you towards Strophurus, I don't know what will!!! :)

Attachments

• intermediusmale1.jpg
    intermediusmale1.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 57
  • goldentail.jpg
    goldentail.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 71
  • cliaris.jpg
    cliaris.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 64
Yeah i tend to avoid recommending Strophorus for first timers because of the issues i have personally faced with breeding. Although it may not be your intention to/now/later/at any stage, but i have found it certainly more of an effort to breed smaller species of gex than the larger species. Mainly concerning egg care and incubation, hatchling care and not to mention the high UV dependency. There is more to it in the smaller species and thats why the majority of people tend to focus mainly on milii, levi and oedura as best picks for first timers.

Eggs of strophorus are like a third the size of milii and levi- if thats something to go by.

Yeah i tend to avoid recommending Strophorus for first timers because of the issues i have personally faced with breeding. Although it may not be your intention to/now/later/at any stage, but i have found it certainly more of an effort to breed smaller species of gex than the larger species. Mainly concerning egg care and incubation, hatchling care and not to mention the high UV dependency. There is more to it in the smaller species and thats why the majority of people tend to focus mainly on milii, levi and oedura as best picks for first timers.

Eggs of strophorus are like a third the size of milii and levi- if thats something to go by.

I'm up for a challenge. I've got to be, the ciliaris should drop any time now. :shock: I think the stress of ensuring I'm prepared for it all is subsiding. :)

thanks guys, we'll see what happens, id love to get a couple.. and in my current sleep deprived state ive been very agreeable...

anyway, i bilieve this thread has done a good couple laps around the original question, sorry for stealing,
goodnight,
Leigh

p.s. falconboy, duke said he went to see your collection, and it was his stories of your geckos that got me interested originally...

Wow so many brilliant pics!

I guess (and I would love gex I am getting a beardie first though) I would be looking for one that was arboreal and relatively active during evening and or day. That one that was suggested ([FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Strophurus williamsi? or all [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Strophurus?[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]) that likes to bake out on a branch sounds brilliant. God gex are so gorgeous.
[/FONT]

Hey Leigh. Glad to hear he liked what he saw. Its not a huge collection, but I adore the cute little buggars.

Viridae, my southern spiny tailed are not terribly active during the day, but will eat during the day, mostly basking. So far the northerns are a bit more shy, but they've only been here 2 days. They are in an area where they see us a fair bit, so might settle in a bit more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back