Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The breeder said the it is a Coastal X Diamond...But I am not sure.

Not having a go at you but maybe you should have done a bit more research before you got the snake maybe looked around for something else.
I remember several people warning you (myself included) against buying it. You have to think of the greater good.

I dont really care what breed it is...I was just curious. I am not into herps for the money and If I was I wouldnt have got something I couldnt have bred off....Whatever my snake is, I love him and would never kill him.

...Pictures. And from the Breeder. (Edited by Admin)

Hopefully the intergrade does get called a new sub-species ( maybe M.s.macci ?). It seems that its existance or at least the intergrade name is providing an excuse to cross breed coastals and diamonds.
Bel - I suggest you don't bring mention this again until the animal reaches full color. If the animal does prove to be a hybrid prehaps you should consider having it sterilized (if you can find anyone to do it).

Talking to NoOne now (!), I take it there are some National Parks around where the animals can be spotted. Any tips? I got quite good at finding coastals on the gold coast until I took this job in Adelaide.

Oh god, comparing the results of a reptile mating to a human baby of mixed ethnic origins. I am a little fearful for the future of those like myself of very varied ethnic origins if my worth and progeny are to compared to a reptile.
I know what you were trying to say Belinda, but that darn left foot getting stuck in your mouth will get you everytime! :lol:

I agree Rina, as a proud father of a quite mixed up familly Belinda's comparison made me cringe. Obviously of good intentions but still words can be ugly regardless of the true intention.
:(

Hybridyzing is never an accident ,it's called bad keeping.Selling hybrids is irresponsible.I hate even breeding certain same species of different type locality.I guess I'm just old and stuck in my ways.I like to think that when purchasing an animal I am getting exactly what I have asked for.When selling I like to give every bit of info about the animal and it's line as possible.This can assist people for years to come in right selective breeding.Shane.

Is it silly to imagine that reptiles may be sold with pedigree papers, such as dogs are, in the future?

Responsible breeders like yourself Shane make it a pleasant experience for both the novice and the experienced to purchase a reptile and be confident that there will be no nasty surprises(hopefully not) down the line.

I agree Shane, it's all in the breeding!!

Breeding papers for reptiles - who knows. Just whatt a reptile breeder wants, more paperwork!!

Fuscus
We found them mainly around Wauchope (not far from Port Mac) i don't know about national parks but there is a few state forests.
What we did was drive along the road and find a good looking area, find somewhere to pull off the road and just go for a walk.
I never saw a farmer but if you did a doubt they would mind if you told them what you were doing. Make sure you explain that your not taking snakes, people seem to like them up there.

We did also find a few by accident outside Kempsey (north of Port Mac) not sure how much resarch is being done up there but they are definalty there.

I haven't been up there for about 4yrs but if can find my old maps i'll PM you some exact locations.

It's a nice thought Parko.I have records on lineage of everything I produce especially my Jungles.I give the #'s of parents so if I am contacted in the future I can look at records and know straight away what I sold.
Just to add to the intergrade convo,I know a road up here in NTH QLD and in one night you can see black and golds .Dirty great coastals and definate intergrades of both species within 10 klms.I was fortunate to see in the roof of a greenhouse one night on a callout,4 carpets.Two animals were coupled a 4ft particularly nice black and gold female and a 6ft brown coastal male.In the wings were 2 small male cheynei.In this area definate species and there inter gades occur in the same locality.It's interesting stuff and definately warrants some research.
Shane.

NoOne said:
Adullthud, what do mean by diamonds and carpets being the same species and why would a hybrid have deformities? That sentence seems deformed to me.

Diamonds and carpets are the same species. They have been grouped as separate subspecies but that is contentious in some circles. Most people in science circles regard subspecies as regional variations.
As to hybridising, look at your mate mysticherps hero's book for a few photos of hybrids. Hybrids come from separate species and no, not all offspring will be deformed.

Life is life, regardless the species, why destroy it just because you dont like it? Belindas analogy may be absurd but remember 60 odd years ago 6 million people , men, women and yes, babies too, were killed just because they were jewish! absurd analogy, same mindset!

Thanks Wattso...:)
What reptiles do you breed Shane?

Just a thought. If several species or subspecies territories are overlapping and they are interbreeding naturally anyway, i would presume this trend likely to continue as the spread of human habitation pushes them together into smaller and smaller areas. [evolution] The prices of proven purebred snakes of any species may rise as intergrades become more common. look what happened to dogs. making it illegal to x breed will therefore be only as effective as any other law, if people want to do it they will anyway, and you cant legislate against nature.
may aswell make it illegal to dig sand at the beach to prevent erosion. :?

we can all agree that its a carpet python of some discription, even the professional are bafald about species, sub-species etc...lots more work as to be done on this topic and it probably will not happen in my life time..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back