Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i just don't want any coming out party to jump straight into battle and be seen as antagonist towards any of the animal rights groups, the EPA or Feds when p---ing them off is only going to steel any resolve to destroy us. If we go in with a truly transparent agenda, and a willingness to give the EPA whatever they need to allow us to keep on truckin' , then they will not have an argument.
I agree. One of the advantages that we want governments and other interested groups to see in our approach is that it will be easier for them to find people with whom they can discuss reptile keeping that are democratically and transparently representative of the keeping community. Just as important for accountable public servants and the officers of publicly funded organisations, if our organisation is structured well, they will be easily able to demonstrate to their management and critics that they have been engaging a genuinely representative body.

Good to see the discussion still flowing and some definite meeting plans taking shape!!! :D I have been off the net for a few days.

Doesn't sound good for keepers in the US! It would be a better idea if they restricted animals and/or introduced permits to keep them I think...

I've been off the forum since Xmas. Did the idea for a representative body die, or is activity happening off-forum?

As I understand it, the legislation in the US was proposed in response to things like Reticulated Pythons becoming a well established invasive species in the Florida Everglades. Things like Corns were not on the list.

I think in that, it's sorta like our existing laws that ban the important and ownership of foreign specieis by members of the general public for fear of them becoming invasive (ala the infamous Cane Toad).

I feel our existing wildlife laws, where we have to get a permit and abide by rules (that include lodging returns listing the animals in our possession and allowing departmental officials to inspect the housing of our animals), put us in a slightly better position then the reptile owners of the US - indeed perhaps if regulation had been tighter then that act would never have been proposed. Still I think our interest in 'minority' pets certainly makes us a little more vulnerable to the campaigns of animal rights groups...

As I understand it, the legislation in the US was proposed in response to things like Reticulated Pythons becoming a well established invasive species in the Florida Everglades. Things like Corns were not on the list.

Corn Snakes are native to North America.

Wasnt there a small child killed not long ago by a Boa? Could that have something to do with it ..maybe ?
Its very sad, why all of a sudden have they decided to ban them?

Im sure People have been killed by other animals before even dogs but they dont take them away from us do they?? Why should they take such a beautiful aniamal away from the people that actually care about them?? I think this is wrong and we should be able to keep whatever pets we like as long as we dont neglect them and a look after them properly. So if the animal rights are wanting to take the snakes away from us how is this saving the animals when the just want to go and put them down????

Again, the ban is on non-native species to protect the country's eco-systems. It's not a total ban on snakes, hence if similar legislation was proposed here it wouldn't make any difference to us (cause there are already laws in place that stop us getting non-native species).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back