Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's good to know, but what you'll also appreciate, after what you saw with Australian gun reforms, is the similarity between the actions of a few jeopardizing the privileges of many.
Absolutely!

This action taken by the US legislators has been brought about as a reaction to something that has occurred, like Port Arthur did to our gun laws, all we need here is a trigger of equal magnitude to dive us down the same path. With that in mind I really don't know what you guys think you're going to achieve with this last stand battalion front thingy you're trying to put together, because when an act of sheer stupidity (and amazing there are lots of stupid people in this hobby :lol:) stuffs up - we're all going to wear it NO MATTER WHAT! The RSPCA and PUBLIC OPINION will just knock whatever twig you attempt to wave at them and you'll be left scratching your heads and wondering where it all went wrong!

Lemme see, there was a guy up North recently who got done for road rage and threatened a lady with a carpet snake - telling her it was a death adder! Gee, some people are hard to protect, yet this is what may very well kill this hobby! How can you argue a case in his defense?? You can't!
Of course you can't! Defending the indefensible is not a useful approach.

Point is: There is nothing anyone will be able to do if people holding these reptiles do stupid/careless things with them! You could have Jesus Christ heading this amazing committee and he still wouldn't save it!- end of story!
What a responsible and representative state/national association determined to save and extend the hobby can do is to very publicly repudiate the actions of such idiots and metaphorically throw them to the wolves. This has much more strength in a public relations sense than individual keepers going on the record as condemning such behaviour.

Your post has prompted another idea that a national association could achieve - develop and promote a voluntary code of conduct that reflects the wishes and current behaviour of the majority of the reptile keeping community.

This action taken by the US legislators has been brought about as a reaction to something that has occurred, like Port Arthur did to our gun laws, all we need here is a trigger of equal magnitude to dive us down the same path.

This isnt the full picture, gun laws were waiting to happen anyway, triggers are only relevant if there is something to trigger. If the police sell an assault rifle to a nutcase there is need for some changes IMO(not that i agree with what they did). If there was as much lobbying power as existed today i doubt the laws would have been as stupid.

What was the trigger for them to ban feeding live shrimp to other animals? or make it illegal to use dogs for hunting other animals?

I will answer - A bunch of brainless whinging animal liberationists...

Although I summarised my view in my short post early in the thread, I have a further suggestion, based on the sensible logic of Derek's post, which advocated the initial formation of State-based groups that might contribute to a national group by way of providing representatives.

As a suggestion as to how we might move forward, how about a large open NSW forum (meeting) to discuss how NSW might go - whether to adopt the strategy of developing a 'NSWRKA' vs further development of a national body (NRKA) with individual membership? The other states could concurrently do same. Concerns have been expressed in this thread about current NRKA office-bearers possibly being non-representative - and indeed, that commercial self-interest may be a driver for some. Why not get all sufficiently interested parties together to discuss this, and certainly to put forward alternative leaders? The truth is that it may be hard to find people prepared to do the work - which is thankless and risks inevitable Internet criticism. I personally think we would be extremely lucky to get people of the calibre of Jamie, who are capable of and prepared to do the long yards required. To put one or two minds at ease, I am not personally an office holder for NRKA nor any other herp group, and won't accept any such position in the forseeable future.

As a suggestion to achieving above, how about forming a 'startup committee', perhaps in the first instance comprised of existing office holders of the NSW herp societies; two or three (or more?) contributors to the current APS discussion who feel strongly enough about the need for ensuring a more transparent system to put their hands up, plus the two or three NRKA office holders (I think the committee is currently Jamie, Anthony Stimson and Peter Johnson?). This loose 'committee' could work towards the organising and conducting of an open forum - perhaps at one of the RSL clubs or equivalent in Sydney - or maybe at one of the earlier expos this year, where a future direction can be found in a more democratic fashion. This of course will mean that in the next few weeks 'someone' will have to do a fair bit of organisational work - which of course is where democratic progressions can falter. But perhaps if a time limit is established - e.g. if no such forum is organised within a reasonable period (say, well planned by mid-January?), then the existing NRKA committee or one of the herp societies might consider stepping up to the plate to organise such a forum. But even if the forum/meeting is organised by NRKA or a herp group, the open meeting that is being called for will allow a fully democratic approach to mapping a way forward towards the devopment of a truly representative body.

I would expect that a number of talented people from interstate herp groups, herp magazine publishers, breeders and the like could also be coaxed to attend, and would add considerable value to trying to put something together that can build eventually to a nation-wide industry-representative voice. People like Simon Stone (SA), John Deutcher (Vic) and Troy Kuligowski (Qld) are names that come to mind.

How does all of this sound as a rough idea? I thought about it overnight, and don't see any other practical way of meeting the reasonable criticisms that have been presented in the current discussion thread. This way, everyone gets to have a say in the development of a representative body, and at the same time, as Jamie said, anyone not interested in participating, need not participate. Its an attempt to find a way forward, where either the existing progress of NRKA might benefit from a more democratic foundation, or a better way of forming a representative reptile-keeping body is determined and developed?

John

Derek's post:

It should represent itself as the peak national body representing reptile keepers and deal with issues at a national level.
It should have state and territory based affiliates, not members. Individual affiliates should be affiliates by virtue of their membership of an affilliated club/association/society (see below).
It should be composed of an executive committee including a president, secretary, treasurer, state/territory delegates and special purpose office holders as required.
There should be similarly composed state/territory associations (for simplicity NSWRKA, VRKA, WARKA, etc) that should be affiliates of, and elect delegates to, ARKA.
These state/territory associations should represent themselves as the peak state bodies representing reptile keepers and therefore deal with issues at a state/territory level. (IMO, state-level associations are necessary because much of the law governing reptile keeping is state law, not federal law.)
Individual herpetological and reptile keeping clubs/associations/societies would choose to affiliate with the state RKAs and members of affilliated clubs would pay an affiliation levy to the state RKA (through their club) to cover admin costs and establish whatever 'fighting funds' are required.
Affiliated clubs/associations/societies would elect delegates to their state associations.

John, we dont have to see eye to eye on everything, though your logical application of the model put forward by Derek seems both democratic and achievable. There is no two ways about it, we are in desperate need of organisation withing the ranks. State groups would be a good platform for the development of a national body if the need arises for one, because as you mentioned most battlegrounds will be at the state and territory level. If NSW can lead the way, as it seems most of the driving forces behind the NRKA are here, we may be able to provide a workable model for the other states to follow.

We have seen alot of baseless opinion thrown around till now, how about we invest the same efforts into analysing a more tactile and workable scenario.

Not interested in getting involved in the in fighting, but would be more than happy to become a financial member when the bugs get sorted out.

When the initial NSW meeting goes ahead, it may be a good idea to invite observers from other states to attend or, if possible, dial in and listen by teleconference. Canberra is close enough that the ACT should be able to send some interested AHA and MARK people if they are invited. I'd be happy to attend as an observer myself if I can fit it around my work commitments.

In this mornings Sunday Heraldsun, a lovely article.
Headline..Streets Croc Fear.
A nice pic of a croc on a road in Geelong, another of two very scared looking toddlers.
The mother has complained that the owner of the croc..and a two metre python, cant keep them contained.
The crocs owners neighbours are worried the escaped reptiles could harm their young kids or pets.
This is very bad publicity and can be used as a springboard fro the anti reptile keepers.
The nieghbour is mother to 3 girls under 6 the paper says.
This is an emotive article in that it is using the kids to push the point.
If a 2.3 metre croc or even a 2 metre python escaped in geelong on a hot day i spose it could potentially make a meal out of a little kid.
Newspapers love this stuff.

Peoples, what happened to this thread? I initially had some fears about this latest incarnation of the NRKA, though a positive analogy has arisen, a democratic state by state self governing system, with alliegance to a Nation wide body if need be, a model that can work, though not without backing from the keeping public. Maybe the problem is that it is a fairly sound model, and theres not too much wrong with the proposal, though a simple affirmation that individuals would be happy with Johns proposal and would back it, would give some indication that it is worth the effort of those willing to put their time in.... I have seen thousands of "nice pics" posts, and a simple "I would support that proposed model" post would suffice.

I support this new model, and am pleased it was put into the public hands, and communicated with us, it has belayed most of my fears.

Ive always supported the idea we needed a national collective voice and am more than happy to have state branches of the NRKA with a national group made up state member representatives with possibly a core consulting group etc. I think Johns idea of getting together to discuss ideas and options is a good move.
The important thing though is to make some start and headway and get the ball rolling. changes and fine detail can be done later when needed. getting some base foundation set in place to build on is the first step. cheers

Hear, Hear ihaveherps.
Well done to everyone who voiced concerns and offered opinions and solutions.
I too am confident that we are one the right path.

Last edited:
Absolutely, anything which will take into consideration the varying laws each state, as well as provide some sort of collective voice stands a much better chance of success; as oppose to just one group in one state trying to make their point while wrapping their heads around differing legislation. Many hands make much lighter and more democratic work.

Another thing we can do aside from direct representation is vote against fanatical political parties that have the same deluded ideals as animal rights groups, the Greens and Democrats.

I say we lynch the RSPCA!! (goes and grabs his pitchfork!) ;) ....who else can we add to this list? Who's with me??? :p

I can see the vision now, thousands of angry herpers with their tatts, piercings & placards marching to parliament house chanting" Hell no we won't go!" and "You can pry my python outta my cold dead hands!" :lol:

Are we allowed to string anyone up??? How about Bellamy? Is he still around?

Sorry if I sound a little naieve,
but what exactly do we want these new committee's to govern and/or achieve. All licencing and approvals are already handled by state government departments. ie EPA or NP and W service. Are we trying to achieve new keeping standards, or are we simply trying to form one credible voice to react to potential new laws or standards that are to be brought in by the corresponding NP and W for each state.

thanks ASH
but if we (responsible keepers) adhere to our relevant state legislation, we shouldn't have anything to fear, IMO what we need is our state authorities to seriously clamp down on the negligent minority (eg the fool with the croc in Melbourne) that potentialiy gives responsible keepers (most of us) a bad reputation.
Fair enough a national voice is a positive move, but do most people really think a national body is going to make a difference. Most people talking about this national body are on this forum. Forum users are a minority compared to the greater reptile keeper community

I am in favour of the model being proposed, providing we have the transparency which most of us seem to agree is important also.

@barramundi : A national voice IS a positive move, and whilst the effectiveness of such a body is yet to be proven- it sure beats sitting on our hands, which is the other option. And whilst forum users are a minority of the herp community en masse, the National body of which we speak is certainly not intended to be an internet chat room- but if we can muster some cattle using every available means at our disposal both web-based and community based; including rallying those troops who are outside of the internet circle, then it is a good starting point to at least having a voice- and then it will be up to us all to see how loud we can make that voice.

The mindset we will be up against is the "herpers are ferals, rednecks and renegades" spiel- we have all heard it or felt it. By formulating our own committees, establishing an inter and intrastate dialogue and showing some cohesion, at the very least our hobby will be seen to be an organised group of like minds, instead of a no holds barred frontier of rebels with few organisational skills and therefore no potential for public backlash, should the gods of politics try to go Seppo on us and sneak one past the keeper.

I'm in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back