Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snakeluvver2

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I heard and agree that it's good to have at least one python that is bittey or snappy in a collection. Especially if it's one of the larger species such as a coastal, olive or scrubby.
Some would even say aggressive

If you agree, why?
Or disagree, why?

Does it make you a better handler, being able to read a snakes body language better?
Reminds you that these arnt domesticated animals such dogs or cats lets you respect them more as an individual and or python?
Prepare you breeders out there for hatchies that are more likely to be machine guns wanting to bite at anything that looks remotely threatening.

Thoughts????

dont know about being good but if you keep enough for long enough your bound to get an aggressive one and it certainly keeps you on your toes!!

snake will only bite if it mistakes you for food or when threatened.
The threaten bite isnt as bad as the mistaken for food bite, its just a warning strike with mouth agape. When they want to eat you they throw a coil and dig their teeth in. Im no expert on the subject because ive never actually been bitten. Im just too quick. Some people like to let their snakes bite them and post pics on these forums which gives me the impression it doesn't hurt much. I would say its more hazardous for the reptile as their teeth could be ripped clean out of their head.

no no no
Im not saying hey lets all get bitten to make yourself a better handler.
I'm saying do you think having a snake thats is more prone to biting and keeps you on your toes is good?
Like if you only had snakes that were placid you couldn't ever really know when one was about to bite as well as if you had one that has shown the body language of striking constantly.

Like i know when i touch my snakes around the tail they tend to freak out a little more and this is really apparent when i get tagged by water python.
So now i dont tend to touch any of my snakes by the tail because i know it has the potential to stress them.

I got a N.T water python that was from an agressive clutch and yes it was a thrill for the first 6 months cause it wanted to kill me. stopped striking in winter. I keep rats right next to his cage and i can tell when he might bite. Some times if you molester them they will bite. I dont handle it much, sometime they just bite without warning and when it get bigger it probably will keep me on my toe. I reckon an agressive olive python would 'keep your toes.

intresting thread still awaiting snakes so unsure mate would like to see what people say.

I see where you are coming from Jannico, I kinda feel like I'm not a true snake owner as I havent been bitten yet, but my girl is so placid I would have to do something pretty extreme to elicit a bite from her.

The next snake I get will be a jungle, probably a hatchy and I am prepared (as I was for my first one) for the fact that I will most likely be bitten. I feel sometimes I do get a little complacent with my girl and probably dont give her the respect that one should give a snake. Don't get me wrong, I'm not stupid with her and never put her in danger but sometimes when she ends up crawling all over my head and face and basically sticking her tongue in my eye I do have to stop and think "hang on a second... this is a SNAKE not a fluffy puppy".

So, to the question at hand, Yes I think it is good for people who are going to keep multiple snakes to at least have experience with 1 snaked who is a little snappy.

i have 3 snakes, 2 of which i think dont know how to bite, the other one is as unpredictable as they come, one day she is happy to be handled, ignores the kids moving around and you can get her out of the enclosure by hand, other days i will only get her out with the hook, strikes at anything that moves and is a total pain in the butt. She was my first snake and i think it was the best way to start. It teaches you that you always have to be alert to what you are doing with them, that as much as we want to look at them as "pets" they are still wild animals and they all need to be shown the same respect, as even the most placid snake can turn if it feels threatened enough.

I agree with blondie but if you intend to breed than a python that is agressive to handle out side of a cage is not a trait to pass on to the offspring and than sell to a little kid. DID U C MY UTUBE CLIP BLONDIE i didnt see your comments there.

i agree with you jannico. it is definately a good thing to keep a snappy snake or 10. it not only helps you read that particular snakes body language but also helps you learn how to handle other animals with minimum risk of being bitten. i had a 11ft (maybe 12ft) male scrubby tag me about 2 years ago (missed the rat) which ended up with him hanging off my right hand and resulting in an overnight stay in hospital (hospital procedure with any snake bite, venomous or not) and 14 stitches. it has definately made me a better more cautious handler. i actually prefer my animals to be snappy. i think its more natural for them. i do however have some very docile snakes also.

i think having a snake that defensive is a great idea you cant have all placid ones,bitey flighty snakes are displaying natural behavior and i like to observe natural behavior.

It really depends where you getting bitten i guess. You really need some form of protection, atleast a pair trousers. Ive read somewhere a scrubby can remove your knee cap.

[video=youtube;AXwxIjh5l-A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXwxIjh5l-A[/video]His got teeth stuck in his hand. I wouldnt want this olive as a pet, but if you want a snake that bites, i hope it bites you.

Last edited:
I heard and agree that it's good to have at least one python that is bittey or snappy in a collection. Especially if it's one of the larger species such as a coastal, olive or scrubby.

Yes, TOTALLY AGREE. The same as all drivers should CRASH at least 1 car just so they know what it's like. All pilots should crash a plane for the same reason, swimming instructors should almost drown, fire fighters should be trapped in a fire, yeah the list would be long and interesting.

Can you give me some even close to reasonable reasons as to why it would be good to have at least 1 aggressive snake in a collection.
Although it could be a good marketing exercise for those keepers who ONLY keep say diamonds, well they should buy a scrubbie, jungle or olive just for the experience of being bitten................
Maybe everyone should be required to also keep say a tiger snake or maybe a death adder or 2.......................................

I don't know about having a bitey one being good for keeping - surely if you're a good enough keeper you wouldn't get bitten anyway? Personally, comparing my coastals to my stimsons, I prefer one that's a little more "bitey". At least I know it'll eat!

I have a couple of pythons that require care when handling, however I very rarely get bitten because I take care when handling... I can't see any positives to having aggressive snakes as captive pets?

l like my snakes to be snappy but for a more practical reason . Snappy snakes usualy have a good feeding response and there is nothing worse than a difficult feeder . l dont handle mine much , just for cleaning or moving , if l feel the need to handle an animal l have a dog and he loves to be patted .

love having a few bitters in my collections...makes any interaction intense ( feeding,taking them out or even changing water lol ) coz if you stuff up bang hes got ya! haha
like snake pimp said "i like to observe natural behavior"
placid ones,bitey flighty ones..love them all ! :)
all they are doin are displaying natural behavior !!!
if your not down for a bite here or there maybe keeping stamps in more for u jokes joke ;) but remeber paper cuts lol LOL
Enjoy
Ezekiel

iv got some snappy adult carpets but i rarely get bitten as i handle them with care i try to disturb them as little as posible as the 4 snappy ones im talking about are wildcaught adults so they're attitude is unavoidable

I've a Coastal(8ft), Olive(11ft) and a nasty Scrubby(9ft) in my collection and yes a bite from them doesn't tickle .The Coastal and Olive are very placid until you get between them and their food .The Scrubby is just a b***h as she can change from an angel to the devil in a split second .No hard and fast rules with bitey snakes but you pick up on their quirks over time .Scrubs are in general bad attitude snakes but i know of quiet a few that have never showen any attitude towards their owners .All snakes will bite whether through aggression or food response no matter what size or species they are .Just don't ever be fooled into thinking it will never happen to you .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back