Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Get what appeals to you, my first snake was a stimmie and she handles really well. Another plus is the biggest size enclosure you will need is 3x2x2 and they are cheap to feed as most only grow to 1-1.2m long.

If you want a small snake, go with a spotted or stimmie. If you want a bigger snake, go with a coastal carpet or bredli.

Jungles are pretty, but aren't as good imo for a first snake. They teach you how to handle a cranky snake, sure, but they aren't "bomb-proof" like those I mentioned are (or at least, they tend to be). I found them to stress easily and not handle change as easily as others.

Its a Tanami Woma Python, not sure the exact locality though

Honestly, LOL'd at this.

Last edited:
ahh i was inclined towards woma earlier today, but friends steered me towards jungle carpet cos they look nicer, and i kinda do agree as well. however, some people say they are not good as a first snake because its cranky and tend to be aggressive?

I've got a young coastal python in amongst my collection. For a first snake I think it'd be perfect. Feed them slowly and you'll adapt with the snake. IMHO anything carpet makes a great captive. Jungles, bredlis, Darwins etc etc. in my humble opinion, if you can't handle or manage a hatching anything, then reptiles (particularly snakes) are not for you. Get a coastal hatchy ;)

I've got a Darwin who is my 'show off ' animal, I hand him to any unsuspecting person who walks into my house. He is a sweet natured animal and I can't remember him ever even trying to bite through defensiveness. I also feed all mine with chopsticks to prevent any love bites :p

I was thinking of a Scrub then you can learn quickly or cop alot of bites...lol...Any carpets are also good depending on how big-little..Or if you only want a small snake then the Anteresias are best for you..If you dont mind if they get bigger then Anteresias a Darwin-Jungle-Diamond-Carpet are great snakes..Also Womas-BHPs are awesome if you like them..EVERY snake is different..It all comes down to the size you want-how much you wanna spend-size of cage etc...

You can get a blonde phase spotted python if your leaning towards jungle just because of their looks. Ive never had a a jungle and i've read several books that suggest theyve just been given a bad wrap. Also i know of alot that are said to be very tame & placid so its really upto what you want to go with. As said already, a hatchy bite won't be bad and you'd expect them from most young snakes so do not let the jungles bad name deter you at all. Its totally upto you

As much as I love my Spotted and I have said before in these threads how great they are I have come to view these threads a bit differently... PLEASE be aware I am not attacking you personally or trying to be mean/nasty, it is based largely on the last uni student who asked and is intended as a survival list for your snake!

This has been said spread out through the posts but I'll reinforce it:
RESEARCH! You already seem to be doing that which is great.
Look at what you like the look of or find interesting, then... RESEARCH!
Look at how much room you have for an enclosure, will you be able to have a large enough enclosure for the full grown size of the snake you want, this will require RESEARCH! Yes you will start with a small enclosure like a click clack but your python will grow a LOT in the duration of a uni degree and do you need to move your snake during semester breaks?
If you are after a hatchy this is a pretty good time of the year to get one but you may need to RESEARCH who breeds them and who is nearest to you. You may need to be prepared to pay a little extra to get one sent to you with relevent permits.
When you have done enough RESEARCH to choose your snake stick by your guns and don't grab something else just because it is available NOW!
Get your setup ready for your new snake and make sure the temps are right a week or so before your chosen snake arrives.

FINALLY.... 99% of new owners hope for a placid, easy to handle snake, IF yours tries to tag you or is cage defensive PLEASE!!!!! whatever species it is give it some time and patience! This may require RESEARCH of handling tips etc. If you aren't prepared to be bitten from time to time you may need to change your thinking on the type of pet you get.

As you can see there is a theme to this advice. :) The more you can find out about your snake and how to keep it BEFORE you get it the better yours and your snakes experience will be. It is a great hobby to get into and even a snappy snake is a wonderful animal to have and learn about and watch etc. If you are prepared to take the advice offered to you you'll have all the support and encouragement you could hope for.

BTW did I mention what a great first snake Spotted Pythons are?

Last edited:
Go the Jungles :D Spotted was my first snake but that was just because they were bred locally and was easier to get in contact with the breeder. I really wanted a Jungle and I got one as me second snake!!! Everyone told me not to get one. People even told me I'd end up wih no fingers!!! Well they're wrong :) I have the sweetest, friendliest little girl ever! She only bit once and that was because dad was picking her up wrong :/ Jungles are awesome! Beautiful and stunning. If you want a Jungle, get a Jungle. They are one of the best IMO :D

Spotteds are also another of my favorite. My girl has been the best little snake in the world. She comes to the lid of her click clack everytime I come over and when I'm doing my homework she comes right to the wall of the tub to say hi! She sits there as well just watching me :) And when I take her out she never strays to far from me and always climbs straight onto my hand. The best thing about spotteds is that they are so god darn friendly! I call mine a puppy dog because she keeps coming to say hello. I love her <3 I hate to pick favorites but I love little Jasper the most! She is my little snakey :D

My recommendations are: All Anteresia, Jungles, Bredli's, womas, diamonds.

I feed all my snakes with tongs. :p

Go the Jungles :D Spotted was my first snake but that was just because they were bred locally and was easier to get in contact with the breeder. I really wanted a Jungle and I got one as me second snake!!! Everyone told me not to get one. People even told me I'd end up wih no fingers!!! Well they're wrong :) I have the sweetest, friendliest little girl ever! She only bit once and that was because dad was picking her up wrong :/ Jungles are awesome! Beautiful and stunning. If you want a Jungle, get a Jungle. They are one of the best IMO :D

One jungle does not equal all jungles.
Compared to other hatchy pythons jungles in general are much more snappy/highly strung,darwins come a close second.

Jungles are nice looking snakes but IMO I don't think you will get the handling skills you would enjoy? Yes some are better handlers then others but no one can guarantee this. There are nice snakes out their and it's your decision not your mates you won't see them lining up for handling if it tags all the time.
That a look at slithin00 post and see the beginner animal. I believe he didn't have it long. Please make your decision wisely as you will lose confidence first snake is ment to be a great experience and a learning one and the second snake will follow fast behind. listen to the more experienced handlers as they are the ones that help you. Good luck with your decision.
This is not ment to single anyone out and I do apoligise for slithin00 example but I believe it was a good example for the wrong first snake.

I got a jungle as my first snake and he is beautiful. He is the only snake out of 3 i have that i'm confident in other people holding. In saying that when i first got him i copped it. I couldn't count the amount of times i got tagged but i put in the hard yards and he is great. The breeder I got him from was and is fantastic he warned me I was going to get bit but I had my heart set on getting one. It all depends on what "you" want and if your not afraid of getting bit. I handled my snake and got bit before i handed the money over so once i worked out that it was all the fear and shock of getting tagged rather than it hurting i handed him the money straight away.

Great advice already given here, do your research, don't make the mistake of looking at one in a pet store and just grabbing it because you like the colors.

I may be biased, but a Murray Darling would be my choice if you like the bigger snakes, or if you want something smaller, a Stimson or a Woma, cost shouldn't really come into it, this is a 20 year long commitment. If you really want a certain species, save for it. ;)

Grab a book from the library, or buy one and read up on python care before you make a decision.

Have you got friends with snakes you could handle? That is always helpful.

IMO, I wouldn't recommend a jungle for a first, they have a reputation for being snappy, and you want to build your confidence, not lose it and be afraid of your snake.

A really good article by Doc Roc, on different species of snakes (includes handling, temperament, feeding etc)

Scroll down to "Road testing" number 11. Reptile Husbandry Articles by Southern Cross Reptiles

Good book to look for is Mike Swan Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons. I think it's a great introductory read.

I've got 2 coastal as firsts there both softies.... personally I'd pick the snake you want.... if there snappy try to handle as much as possible to get them better .... because everyone can say you should get a ....... because mine is great, it comes down to the individual, jeff has a jungle that doesn't bite and 2 albino darwin 1 devil and the other a softie
Chose a python YOU want to keep for up to 15-25 years

Around Brisbane there are literally hundreds of breeders

Pick out a few snakes you think you might like
Go see them
Find the one that 'clicks' with you

Buy that one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back