Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
SnakeWrangler said:
dickyknee said:
In all fariness to others that have entered the comp and myself included , could we stop using the names of people who the photos belong to .as it is meant to be anonymous .
I never realised it was meant to be anonymous... The original poll had names next to them so I think we know who owns each photo, why would it matter anyway? Surely people will vote based upon the photo alone not on what they think of the owner...

:roll:

Yes.. you would hope people vote on the photo , but if the names are there theres a chance people may get votes from their mates just so he can win the prize .

And if you think people will vote on the photo as you said why would it matter if the names are not there ?

Sorry d-knee,
Most of the pics have come up before on APS anyway and judging by the leading photos so far I think its a fair comp :)

jordo said:
Sorry d-knee,
Most of the pics have come up before on APS anyway and judging by the leading photos so far I think its a fair comp :)

No need to be sorry mate , and yes the best pics are winning ...which is good .

dickyknee, you do have a good point. I am not bothered if the names are there or not, all I hope is that people vote for what they truly think is the best shot, rather than the best animal or that their mate took the photo.

That's essentially the reasoning behind removing the names, to increase objectivity. Human nature being what it is, is highly subjective in matters of taste & judgement.
When the idea was put to us, we thought it was a good idea, so the change was made.
What's interesting is that before the technical difficulties, i.e Take 1, the voting was different. The current leader was coming 3rd or 4th from memory, no doubt due to him being an unpopular member of this site :wink: . Sure, it was early days and I have little doubt that the longer the poll was up for, the more the best pics would have emerged as favourites.

When I was at art school, we were trained to walk into a gallery at look at all the art from a distance before looking at the name of the artist, the price tag or the title. It's very tempting to look at the name before the pic and be consequently influenced by it.
You wouldn't believe how many people I saw at art galleries & exhibitions, that looked at the name plate before looking at the art! :shock:

So we're doing it this way to objectify the images and therefore level the playing field, in much the same way as making all the pics the same size, so that no-one has an advantage.

Yep. Some of the best years of my life :D
Drawing & painting beautiful nudes was hard work though :)

SnakeWrangler said:
dickyknee, you do have a good point. I am not bothered if the names are there or not, all I hope is that people vote for what they truly think is the best shot, rather than the best animal or that their mate took the photo.

That was my only point , the best photo should win not the best animal or your mates . and from what i know about photgraphy ( not a real lot but im learning ) ....that is excactly what is happening .

dickyknee said:
That was my only point , the best photo should win not the best animal or your mates . and from what i know about photgraphy ( not a real lot but im learning ) ....that is excactly what is happening .
Couldn't agree more. :)

the best photo should win not the best animal or your mates
I don't agree that this is what seems to be happening!

I went for no 6....I know nothing about photography....don't even like chondros....but I loved how it had a black background which made the beautiful green stand out and thought it was a lovely shot of the body and was looking at me and I wouldn't have a clue who's photo is was!! JMO!

They're ALL great shots......it was hard to choose just one!!!! :?

But I couldn't go past number one..that's one in a million!! :D

What exactly are you trying to say in your last post Dickyknee?
It's not clear. :?
Either way, lets move on & discuss the pics please.
Thanks Fay for doing just that.

I agree, that the GTP pic is outstanding!
This composition is as good as it gets, close to perfectly arranged, which is very hard to do with herps, and crisp throughout, i.e good depth of field.
The colour is lovely (subject choice helps there) beautifully set off by the black background.

1 & 11 are also excellent photographs, as the poll indicates and it was a difficult decision to make.

The cream is definitely rising to the top :D

I like the detail in photo 1 but the background doesn't do the pic justice.

Pic 11 is my fav. Shallow depth of field creates an interesting background while highlighting the detail of the main subject.

Shane

Well said Shane.
In the Nephrurus shot, the relatively shallow DOF (probably still f16+) enhances the subject by removing distracting detail. The subject is crisply in focus and the timing is superb. There's the tinyist bit of camera shake that most wouldn't notice.
Overall, a brilliant piece of photography.

It's neck & neck at the moment with 1 for the lead. It'll be interesting to see which one takes this round.
Both of these action shots involve perfect timing. Well done guys!

The photo of the Green Python is copyright. We would appreciate it if it was only used for personal use.

Regards

I liked 13 because it had a nice clear, colourful background aswell as a clear picture of a great jungle in a good pose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back