Big black cats ( panther) Australia

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This isn't a criminal trial, we don't actually have to prove anything

If you are making a claim that something exists then yes you do. You say it is there and it is a very particular thing then YOU need to provide evidence. Otherwise you will be ridiculed and not taken seriously.

. There was a point in time when it was widely believed the earth was flat, because there wasn't evidence otherwise.

And, like those you refer to, when irrefutable evidence comes to light that these sightings are actually 'big cats' as opposed to just 'big' cats, then I will believe.

As I've said previously, blind faith is for religion. The thinking person demands evidence.

They musn't be true because narrow minded humans have not found any new species of flaura or fauna in the wild and we know it all correct?....

My friend had a friend who had a python they let sleep with them. One night they woke up and it was laying straight next to him sizing him up. So scary I told him to get rid of the snake.

My friend had a friend who had a python they let sleep with them. One night they woke up and it was laying straight next to him sizing him up. So scary I told him to get rid of the snake.

wrong thread?

Was just pointing out how stuff isn't always true just cause reliable people say.

Was just going to respond with it's true my friend wouldn't lie stop being so narrow minded because it seems like a legitimate counter argument in this thread.

The earth still was round though wasn't it, before the evidence proved it so.
I completely understand hesitance to beleive the claims of a person you know nothing about on the net.. I could be some crazy making up stories for something to do (I'm not, but none of you can be sure of that, and I do get that). I'm not, however, asking anyone to beleive in the existence of the unknown based on my story, or anyone else's for that matter. I'm not asking anything of anyone really!
It just blows me away that some people have such a black and white view of the world, that they think they know everything and wouldn't even CONSIDER that it may be possible these things are true. Not blind faith. Considering the possibilities, as a true thinking person does. In my opinion, following popular belief without question is far more naive, closer to "blind faith" than opening your mind and considering that there may be other possibilities..

It just blows me away that some people have such a black and white view of the world, that they think they know everything and wouldn't even CONSIDER that it may be possible these things are true. Not blind faith. Considering the possibilities, as a true thinking person does. In my opinion, following popular belief without question is far more naive, closer to "blind faith" than opening your mind and considering that there may be other possibilities..

Yeah I think your getting carried away here. Saying that everyone who is sceptic has a blindfold view of the world is pretty over the top. I have seen plenty in my life that no-one here would believe and it comes from getting out and experiencing many different walks of life. Its not about being open minded, most here would be happy to be shown proper proof, and like I said earlier, make us eat our hats.
Argue all you want, until there's proof,
there's nuthin' but argument!

Thing is, even with hard evidence there will be sceptics who will happily discredit any evidence at all, and will use tortured logic to explain away their hypotheses on why and how a black jag came to be in the bush just the once. Usually these sorts are best left ignored, as hard as it is for so many not to fan the flames.

Yeah I think your getting carried away here. Saying that everyone who is sceptic has a blindfold view of the world is pretty over the top. I have seen plenty in my life that no-one here would believe and it comes from getting out and experiencing many different walks of life. Its not about being open minded, most here would be happy to be shown proper proof, and like I said earlier, make us eat our hats.

This was posted a while ago in this thread "My uncle made a plaster cast of one of these prints which was found along the creek bank only 50m from our house.. It was bigger than his fully outstretched hand.. "
I'm wondering if a picture of said cast could be taken and posted on here.You never know it may even silence some of the doubters.

This was posted a while ago in this thread "My uncle made a plaster cast of one of these prints which was found along the creek bank only 50m from our house.. It was bigger than his fully outstretched hand.. "
I'm wondering if a picture of said cast could be taken and posted on here.You never know it may even silence some of the doubters.

Rams, I would love to think so, but this day and age where animals can be cloned and technology rules, the only proof that will be available will be a body (live or dead displayed to the public. Footprints, pics and DNA samples will not be enough to convince the most stubborn sceptic.
FYI I believe there is something out there but unless a body of proof is revealed be prepared to cop criticisim from sceptics, bottom line.

Where exactly did I say "everyone who is a skeptic has a blindfold view of the world"?? What I said was it blows me away how SOME people have such a black and white view of the world.. Bit of a difference there.

You're obviously right about one thing though.. Until there's proof there will be nothing but argument.. Even then no doubt there will still be argument!

Do you care to share some of the things you've seen that no-one here will beleive? ;)

Thing is, even with hard evidence there will be sceptics who will happily discredit any evidence at all, and will use tortured logic to explain away their hypotheses on why and how a black jag came to be in the bush just the once. Usually these sorts are best left ignored, as hard as it is for so many not to fan the flames.

Agreed.. And good advice that I'm going to take, as otherwise this will go on forever :)

Last edited:
Where exactly did I say "everyone who is a skeptic has a blindfold view of the world"?? What I said was it blows me away how SOME people have such a black and white view of the world.. Bit of a difference there.

Yeah ok you got me on a technicality there... But you are painting the wrong picture. Most on here (including me) would be happy with some evidence that is more solid then hearsay. Popular belief is what runs the country, if you have different views to the bulk of the population that is perfectly fine no arguments from me there (that provides colour) and it can sometimes work out very well for the person who believes in something just a little left field. Take herpers for example. I was taught to shovel snakes at a young age by my country family, and i did.... but it felt wrong so at a young age i started playing with them and worked out that there were some things that just weren't true. Now we have a budding reptile industry that is attracting people who have never seen a snake in the wild!

You're obviously right about one thing though.. Until there's proof there will be nothing but argument.. Even then no doubt there will still be argument!

With true evidence there will not be any more arguements. This is the difference between you and me.

Do you care to share some of the things you've seen that no-one here will beleive? ;)

For starters, I have seen three oak baseball bats taped together end for end and broken clean in half with a mans shins.

Originally Posted by ozziepythons

Agreed.. And good advice that I'm going to take, as otherwise this will go on forever :)

No, I disagree. With hard evidence I think you will find the opposite happens.

Sceptics are not naive. Sceptics make their decisions based on evidence. Right now the evidence points toward there being no big cats out there, if there was evidence that pointed a different way the sceptics would follow that evidence. Being a sceptic is not being close minded.

I completely understand hesitance to beleive the claims of a person you know nothing about on the net.. I could be some crazy making up stories for something to do (I'm not, but none of you can be sure of that, and I do get that). I'm not, however, asking anyone to beleive in the existence of the unknown based on my story, or anyone else's for that matter. I'm not asking anything of anyone really!

Hahaha what a cop out.

FYI i never thought there were hippos in the NT, then there was irrefutable proof that there was. Now i am a beleiver.

What would you say if i told you i saw iguanas in Darwin? Woudl you beleive me because you couldn't prove otherwise? Or would you assume the most logical explanation of mistaken identity?

Last edited:
What about the Lioness at/ near Broken Hill..
Iguana's in queensland I i think it was queensland), can't remember the shopping centre, but a young girl was walking round with it on her shoulder
Cornsnakes in Churchill, VIC

Last edited:
Sceptics are not naive. Sceptics make their decisions based on evidence. Right now the evidence points toward there being no big cats out there, if there was evidence that pointed a different way the sceptics would follow that evidence. Being a sceptic is not being close minded.

Hahaha what a cop out.

FYI i never thought there were hippos in the NT, then there was irrefutable proof that there was. Now i am a beleiver.

What would you say if i told you i saw iguanas in Darwin? Woudl you beleive me because you couldn't prove otherwise? Or would you assume the most logical explanation of mistaken identity?

Firstly I never said skeptics are naive or close minded. A skeptic is someone who is SKEPTICAL, to me that is thinking "well it COULD be possible, however, based on current information/evidence (or lack thereof) I highly doubt it" this is still considering the possibility that it could be true is it not, even if you come to the conclusion that it's unlikely??

No, the "black and white, narrow minded" people I have referred to are those who think they know everything and aren't willing to even consider other possibilities.. The people that flat out claim that "this doesn't exist", evidence or no evidence. So I would appreciate not being misquoted on the whole "skeptic" thing anymore please

An as for Iguanas in Darwin I wouldn't beleive you because I couldn't find evidence otherwise, nor would I assume it was a mistaken identity.. I would beleive that it was entirely possible you were telling the truth, because hey stranger things have happened. I wouldn't make a definite decision one way or the other based on one piece of information, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility.

Herein lies the very point I was getting at.

I think you're mistaking me for someone who refuses to believe. Your view of a skeptic is closer I think to my view of a scientifically-geared mind. Here is what we know, which forms the basis of our knowledge of the world and how it works. On the other side of the scale is what someone says they saw that flies in the face of said knowledge, research and all prior evidence. Of course it doesn't help when "evidence" is produced or supported either by people of dubious scientific background, or pseudo-documentaries are created and fronted by people who wax theatrical with every over-acted word they state.

If the pro-panther camp produced real, scientific evidence backed by academic writings with accurate, reputable and verifiable references, then you would find plenty more people who would willingly move from "doubter" to "believer"... myself included.

Exactly my point 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back