Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyways, do you have a pair or organising a breeding loan?

Yeh, just bought a male for her. He is a little small at the moment so have to feed him up for next season.

When breeding pythons does the size of the male matter less then with the female?

Cheers Alex

Sdaji said:

Waters to over 6' in a year, I've done bredli to over 5' in one year. This year I had a water python to 5' by about 7 months of age... she decided to stop eating for a while, after I went too far :) She has recently started again and should comfortably get to over 6' by her first birthday (hatchday?), 1-1-06. I plan to grow up two or three hatchlings from this season's babies, although I'm not sure if I'll feed them all that much this time around. I think I could get one to 7' by 12 months of age if things went perfectly. It's nothing too special though, others can get to 6' in twelve months (Simon Fearn took detailed records of a Brisbane carpet which did so and published them in Monitor a few years ago, if you're interested you can look it up).

I think the fastest growing Australian snake is the scrub python, which can consistently grow 5cm or more per week while young. Black Headed Pythons also grow very quickly, possibly quicker than waters.

Hello Sdaji,
I am always interested in other peoples feeding routine and from what I've read it seems you are fairly generous with the rodents. Not having a go btw (I've done/do it myself) just wondering if you have experienced any negative "results" ?(pin heads, FLD or premature death).
Yep I would have to agree about the growth rate of scrubs... pretty quick.I reckon olives are pretty close though, I've done 7ft in one year (performance enhanced :wink: )

yes size of male mattres less, just depends on age and how keen he is, bigguy told me about 3yrs they will be ready

This is my little man "BORIS"...
I am sooo proud..
He hasn't tagged me YET :shock:
I have him out every day except when he is shedding..He is flighty at the moment....
It took me ages to get the nerve up to get a python, but I'm glad I did...
:D

great looking bredli pogana is that the one from bob

Hello Sdaji,
I am always interested in other peoples feeding routine and from what I've read it seems you are fairly generous with the rodents. Not having a go by the way (I've done/do it myself) just wondering if you have experienced any negative "results" ?(pin heads, FLD or premature death).
Yep I would have to agree about the growth rate of scrubs... pretty quick.I reckon olives are pretty close though, I've done 7ft in one year (performance enhanced )

I've never had anything I'd consider to be a negative result from generous feeding. If the snakes start looking fat, I slow their feeding down and I've certainly never had one get sick from it. I've never used mutton bird oil or anything similar. As for 'pin head syndrome', yes, I've had a couple of snakes have slightly smaller heads because of their rapid growth, but they catch up. I don't feed all my snakes like crazy, but I've done it with a few and am probably generally more generous than most.

7' in a year with an olive is nice work :)

Here is a nice shot i just took with the new camera...

head.jpg

Cheers

Here's one I grew up quickly, she never refuses food, even when repeatedly stuffed full of it. I think this is one of those snakes which could have been grown to 7' in one year if given the chance. If she could talk, she would say nothing but "feed me". I don't give her as much as she would like, but she gets more than enough.

vomitt.jpg

Perhaps a bit of 'pin head' there I suppose.

She is a big girl, wouldnt say its a pin head though. All snakes have small heads in relation to their body...

Bloody nice snake though!!

wow great pic ether what camera did ya get??

Thats a ripper of a brdli there sdaji, beautiful.

Sony cybershot with 12x Optical Zoom, 5.1 Megapixel. I just took a relativly close shot and cropped it...

Great camera to use.

Cheers Alex

Cool! keep em coming!

5.1 mega, 12x opt NICE! mines 10x opt, 4.1meg. not bad at all though, i will upgrade soon though.

So Sdaji, when you say power feeding or generous feeding, how much do you feed and how often and what do you feed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back