Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some Breeders will tell you anything to sell their $8000 snakes. They are good eaters, BULL! They are male and female, BULL! I am not mentioning names or breeders. I am sure we are all intelligent enough.

Yes JC I agree 1OO percent, the idea behind the contest is good but the actual contest is a joke. But hey it gives me something to laugh about.
I agree with you to MH, Some breeders will say any thing to sell their animals and avoid the truth.
This IMO is as splitmore has pointed out, just another dodgy way for him to recruit buyers.
One thing that REALLY cracks me up thou is if he breeds for temprement, how come he keeps a bottle of bleach and water to spray into his animals mouths when they bite him. This method is not much short of pathitic if you ask me and yet he promots it. Infact IMO it boarders on incompetent.!!!!

JandC-Reptiles
I haven't read anything on the APS comp yet, but hearing what you are saying about tail luring with woma?s I have to say I agree with you there. We have caught close to 40 woma?s from the wild and have only seen one individual tail tap and not always, and not in a conventional way that you would expect it to be used as a lure e.g. in front of its head. The same reptile however does the same thing when you put a male in her cage. Secondly considering that we have examined over fifty woma?s from the wild both dead and alive, why have we not found any with tail tips missing like many of the Death adders that we find? Also of note, every woma that we have found dead that has had stomach contents to be found it was always a spiny tailed monitor inside which would due a reasonably good job of removing the tip of a woma?s tail. I would have expected that as our reptiles are all from the wild and if they did indeed tail lured for prey as a supposed common behavior, then we would have seen them display this regularly.

Not at all Im actually trying to be as nice as I possibly can. Belive me its hard.!!!!!

I agree with you to MH, Some breeders will say any thing to sell their animals and avoid the truth.

Something we agree on? My God, it must be the new year and festive season influencing our heads. Must be the heat down in victoria at the moment that would make me think like a Queenslander!!!!Go away sun.

I do agree on the insanity of the bleach concept. There is nothing wrong with getting a bite every now and then. It lets you regain your respect for these beautiful animals we work with every day. A lot of people lose this respect for their animals if they are placid and get handled all the time. I know my snakes get handled as little as possible and they act like a snake when you try to handle them. Its instinct for them to want to protect themselves, but when they realise it is a gentle hand that is holding them they very rarely try to continue behaving badly. They are not domesticated animals and have their own instincts. Why is it that cats have been kept for thousands of years and still dont have owners, they go when they want and will bite when they need. You dont see them acting like dogs and they have been pets for a lot longer than a lot of other domestic animals.

I also find it hard to be nice all the time mate.

I agree in that I don't believe you can compare reptiles with mammals.
I believe that if you take a dog, breed it, grow up the pups and every day train them for 'Dog fighting(Just an example, I don't condone it!), then it will have this behaviour, breed from this animal and a similar individual and so on, a few generations down the line, you might breed animals that have an aggressive tendency, the reverse obviously applies to tame dogs, however, the aggressive example is an extreme because, not many people will try to do this, most dog breeders breed tame good natured dogs, not because they are trying, but just because that is what has been achieved by keeping the dog at home, happy healthy and treating it well. If a dog senses fear, it can react defensively and bark or bite, even the tamest of dogs can do this if they feel threatened.

I believe reptiles react more instinctively than mammals, they have to come out of the egg and be on the defensive, as they are independent from day one.
Once they realise your not a predator, they usually calm down, feed well etc, that's not to say that you don't get some in the clutch that don't take alot longer to lose the fear than others.

I feel that it has alot to do with the owner of the reptile, rather than the reptile themselves.
You can keep and breed snakes, hardly handle them, some will be tame, some will never tame down.
You can then be a private keeper, choose to handle the snake regularly, tame them up.
It has so much to do with the keepers mentality IMO.
If you go into a jungle or scrubs cage thinking hesitantly, twitching and pulling back, the snake will think and I am sure (Smell) that you have fear, and as like dogs, I truely believe they act accordingly, by becoming defensive.
A breeder can sell a tame snake to a new owner, but unless they are confident, it can change to a more fearful defensive animal.
Obviously, sometimes it can take time for both parties to become comfortable with each other.

I do also think that sometimes people misinterpret a snakes feeding response as aggression, if a snake has been reflex fed in it's viv and that's all it knows then when someone buys it, it appears snappy.

I know alot of breeders will grow up a clutch of snakes, mainly for colour and marking traits, and keep the best for themselves or to sell to the public at a premium, the rest will be sold onto petshops at a low price, this gives the illusion to buyers that all the snakes being bred by that breeder are crackers, in fact they have just as many low graders, they just don't advertise them or show pic's of them. I have no problem with this, however alot of newbies get the impression that the breeder just produces stunners, Jungles are a classic example.

Sorry, I know most of you know all the above, but I just thought I would add my 2 cents!

Neil

JandC_Reptiles said:
I also find the answer of "Woma's COMMONLY caudal luring to attract prey" to be a mistake. Tail bobbing due to excitement at feed time maybe. Many species have been observed caudal luring, but it is not a common trait for them.

I have to say I have my doubts in respect that the tail luring is anything else but that, as it wouldn't serve any other purpose, I can easily imagine a woma sitting down a rabbit burrow, seeing a prey item coming closer and wriggling it's tail, afterall why would they draw attention to themselves my making movement if it wasn't to draw prey closer.

I do find it interesting that Dave (Pilbara) hasn't observed it in the Wild though, although saying that I have only observed it with a couple of my Tanami woma's, and not the other localities up untl now.

Interesting topic though.

Neil

This obviously brings up the question, If you can modify a reptile behavior in captivity eg : handling a snake and getting it relatively tame, have you now actually altered its genetic trait ?

No, thats Lamarckian evolution (inheritance of acquired traits). Same as the women in Sth Laos and Nth Cambodia stretching their necks.... If Lamarcks theory were correct their kids would have long necks (not the case!). This was originally used to explain why giraffes have long necks (according to Lamarck they stretched their necks reaching for leaves).

-H

Mh, hell you agreeing with me also, this must be the season for festivites for sure.
Ncherps,- very well said although, in my limited experiance and opinion, alot of pythons get excited when mating or feeding and tail wiggle from time to time, womas, bhps, bredli, diamonds, olives, most of the chidrens group etc, but the only python I have ever seen do this and I would call true cardual luring are green pythons. The rest seem to do it for a number of reasons and always caused by excitment.

TrueBlue said:
Mh, hell you agreeing with me also, this must be the season for festivites for sure.
Ncherps,- very well said although, in my limited experiance and opinion, alot of pythons get excited when mating or feeding and tail wiggle from time to time, womas, bhps, bredli, diamonds, olives, most of the chidrens group etc, but the only python I have ever seen do this and I would call true cardual luring are green pythons. The rest seem to do it for a number of reasons and always caused by excitment.

Rob,
So do you think in your opinion that the tail wiggling(Caudal luring) is a result of the animals being in captivity?, because IMO wild snakes would not find it an advantage to do it unless they were trying to attract prey or possibly to deter a predator with the normal mouth agap defensive posture, maybe that's why Dave hasn't come across it with the wild species he has observed.

Neil

Neil,- It seems to be a more common occourance in captive bred animals, but Ive seen wild caught womas and bhps wiggle there tails when introduced for mating, yet they rarely do it when beign fed, thats why I belive it to be more of an excitment thing than soley for cadual luring. But hey who knows, it may be an advanage to them in the wild, and it could be a disadvantage. As Dave has said most wa womas had eaten spinny tails and it dont take much to spook them. Plus you would think that maybe hatchlings would have a dark tail tip to assist this when young if that was the sole purpose, as in most all other true cardual luring snakes, but this dosnt seem to be the case at all.

Pilbarapythons, Oh and Dave I think you ment your father spent alot of his time soaking in a cold bath.

Have seen a few of my jungles look like they were caudal luring when about to be fed...i posted about it asking if it's been observed in the wild etc and would it be actual luring of prey or just excitement as has been said.I've heard of many who have womas that appear to caudal lure but from the descriptions it did sound more like excitement than to attract food but who knows till more fiel work has been done i guess?

It was suggested by a memberthat of course if they act like this in captivity they will also do it in the wild however there's no info i've found backing this up.Greens have different colour tail tip for caudal luring like adders as Rob mentioned,and for some reason most jungles seem to have better cleaner color towards the tail end..just wondering if that may be why?I remember a post from greebs also about a Darwin that acted the same.

If anyone sees the documentary PYTHON: The Sly Strangler, you'll see footage of a hatchling Carpet (possibly intergrade) attracting a skink towards it by wriggling its tail.

The fox behaviour study started from wild animals, completely fresh. They aren't at all related to domestic dogs. Go out and get a wild cat, raise it by hand and see how it compares to a domestic cat! Even with most of the genetic variation in domestic cats gone, once they go feral, they are (naturally) selected to have natural (fierce, fearful etc) behaviour and raising a kitten by hand, collected from a long term feral cat population will give a very different animal from your regular tame pussy cat (which is still equally obnoxious of course!). If it was true that animals becoming tame over successive generations was simply because of their environmental influences (that is, they're in captivity, becoming used to people etc etc) then selected lines would be no different from randomly selected lines. This has been demonstrated time and again not to be the case. Scientists are very familiar with the concept of confounding variables and that is exactly why they have controls (replicates without treatments) in their experiments. Unless they had simultaneously bred non selected lines in identical conditions along with the selected lines, then seen a difference between them, they couldn't have made the claims they make. If selection had no affect, this would have been demonstrated time and again, with real, tangible, practical experiments.

The fox example is a mammal, yes, but the exact same principle applies to any animal. Countless studies have been carried out, of course, many have been done on rats and mice, but some on other biological groups. Reptiles may be simpler than mammals, but fish and even insect behaviour can and has been selected for! Yes, instinct is a very big part of reptile behaviour, I don't think anyone here is enough of a moron not to realise that, but stop for a moment and consider that instincts are patterns of behaviour... which are ***genetically determined***! Instinct is very, very clearly something you can select for and alter in a line of animals, whatever the type, as is any genetic trait for which variation exists.

As for the suggestion that these concepts are merely 'theory', well, they are based on short and long term experiments, carried out on real animals, by real people in many many real cases. No one here has proper experience running behavioural selection experiments on snakes, it is completely stupid to suggest that the people claiming it is impossible have had experience with it, because no one so sure about it not working would spend many years working with a group of dozens of pairs of animals selecting for temperament.

Rob, I'm not trying to suggest that we should blindly believe what Southern X reptiles says is true, just that people seem to believe anything that is said, and being pretty popular around here I'd have thought people would irrationally have taken their word as gospel. Having said that, Dr Stone is a highly educated biologist and I'd generally be inclined to take him seriously. As for the way he gets them to let go (it's alcohol and water he uses, not bleach) I'm not too fond of the idea either! Bites don't just come from nasty snakes, they can come from hungry snakes which smell food and I greatly doubt he uses this technique often at all. I have never considered using the method and wouldn't recommend it, but he and many others like it and no doubt he is right about it working.

As for the fraudulent use of the terms, yes, I agree, this happens, it is deplorable.

As for the tangent of caudal luring, I have seen literally dozens of captive womas which will frantically 'lure' at every feed, and yes, 'jump up and down' too (very cute!). I also question how much this is functional luring and how much is just 'excitement' or distraction. This was discussed in another thread a few days ago, as I said in it, and others have said here, they don't undulate their tails as do other pythons, they flick them. It's difficult to imagine them doing it simply because they're excited because it's such an outwardly obvious thing to do, which suggests it would have some function, but I agree, we really don't know.

Millions of dollars go into scientific research, much of it is payed for by us, the taxpayers, so that it can benefit us. We are all lucky to have all this scientific information available to us, yet for some reason, reptile people seem to want to create their own version of genetics, while largely ignoring the data which exists. It took the lifelong dedication of many genetecists and a great deal of resources to get to where they are, we can't expect to do a better job by making a few observations, making unfounded claims and relaying rumours. Anyone who doubts any of this should feel very free to read as much of the scientific literature as they want, you paid for it, it's there for you!

Serpenttongue, years ago I saw that video, the hatchling carpet luring was the thing which stuck in my mind most clearly (the ending with the cat in the snake's belly stands out too :) ), as at the time I'd never seen a carpet lure and didn't know they did it :)

Quote: ?
This obviously brings up the question, If you can modify a reptile behavior in captivity eg : handling a snake and getting it relatively tame, have you now actually altered its genetic trait ?

No, thats Lamarckian evolution (inheritance of acquired traits). Same as the women in Sth Laos and Nth Cambodia stretching their necks.... If Lamarcks theory were correct their kids would have long necks (not the case!). This was originally used to explain why giraffes have long necks (according to Lamarck they stretched their necks reaching for leaves).

-H

Inheritance of aquired traits does not equate to physical genetic change, it relates to behavioural/learning, e.g dolphins learning to use a seasponge to dig about on the seafloor to avoid stings etc and teaching their young. an aquired trait, not a genetic change, they arnt growing sponges on their snouts.

That opens the door to whole evolution theory, what a whopper! (no doubt sdaji will explain it! :))

So...iwhy the hell do girraffs have long necks? Surely they evolved through the need to feed on taller trees? perhaps other species becoming more prevalent, eating lower shrubbery etc competing for food? If not they were churned out of a mold especially to trim the tree tops?
Likewise eviromental changes have apparently (in very short time too 70yrs) altered head size of our elapids due to the cane toads, (i did read this somewhere) so they have smaller heads they cant swallow lrg enough toads to kill them (if i read it right) surely this is what Lamarck was on about?
Why do pythons now have only spurs? were they only ever spurs for mating or are they rudimentry legs, lost through evelotion, or devolution (enviromental adaption)?

If a snake could be bred for aquired traits i.e placid nature, you would think there must be just as many placid wild snakes out there, and from all accounts, there are, but you dont see any snake learning new things, like the dolphins, reptile and mammal brains are far different.
so if placid wild snakes are breeding, surely then temperament is hit n miss, since they arnt too selective about mates from all accounts! over time then, it must either become recessive trait, or dominant, if you beleive Darwin.
what benefit a wild snake to be placid? on the other hand, a feisty defensive snake might live longer!
surely then feistiness would be a more dominant trait in terms of survival of the fittest?
since very placid wild snakes still exist after not 25 yrs but millions, temperament cant be a genetic trait
but merely a greater or lesser degree of the same raw instinct.
hence, you cant breed for 'placid', its crap!

IMHO :) but then what the hell do I know, i dont even have a white coat! :p

Next it'll be fish, spiders and crickets bred 'for temprement' :roll:
cheap sales ploy, big big gulf between mammals and anything else!
In any case it gives me the shirts that folk want to change nature in every possible way to suit themselves, nature is what it is, its time we accepted that!

re Breeding

TrueBlue said:
Yes JC I agree 1OO percent, the idea behind the contest is good but the actual contest is a joke. But hey it gives me something to laugh about.
This IMO is as splitmore has pointed out, just another dodgy way for him to recruit buyers.
One thing that REALLY cracks me up thou is if he breeds for temprement, how come he keeps a bottle of bleach and water to spray into his animals mouths when they bite him. This method is not much short of pathitic if you ask me and yet he promots it. Infact IMO it boarders on incompetent.!!!!
Hell!! thats amazing this bleach and water things to get the biters to let go TB i dont know whether to laugh or cry ime shocked ive got to go to southern cross site and do some reading pronto :shock: :shock:

re Breeding

:) I read in the first article that doc keeps on hand a small squeeze bottle of metho,i onley had probs with bhps grabbing me and i just wait for them to let go,ime up to second article and finding it good reading :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back