Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the Olive's burn is from a cigarette, it isn't a perfect circle and there is healing evident on the outer edge of the burn, so it isn't a new thing.

I would have suggested heat bulb but as you mentioned only heat mats are used I am stumped.
What does your friend have to say about this? If this was all intentional your friend really needs some hardcore help. I am not being sarcastic or "read between the lines" either.
I hope the snakes both pull through.

Ok, 1- i have offered her support but the snakes both kept getting worse + she also gave one to me that was a het albino olive that she or her kids ha stood on and crushed the ribs!
2- We dont have DERM here we have EPA, im not too sure of what they can and cant do...
3- She purchased both snakes off me and they were both in perfect healthy condition, all my reptiles have always been in well condition never had a problem with any.
4- Thank you to the people giving me ideas on what it could be, also just another fact- the only sort of heating device she has are heatmats, no globes no thermostats JUST heat mats and i highly doubt that the olive went under the heat mat as if that was the case her whole head would be burned.
5- Any more help, support or ideas would be great, im really onto this one i want to know exactly what has happened to these poor snakes as she still has a hatchie bredli and an adult spotted monitor that she CAUGHT! She says she will be letting it go tomorrow and i will be making sure of it.

If it's done intetnionally it's horrible i can't imagine how painful the belly burn would have been. good on you for stepping in and lokking after them. can i ask have you seen the snakes original set ups was the heat mat inside or underneathe the enclosure?

Also the het albino olive python is currently in my care too.

Mace699- Yes i have seen their enclosures as i go their regularly, they are all full of poo and very dirty :( The heat mat is inside the enclosure. She has just put the heat mat on top of the fake grass then a hide straight on top of the heat mat- would not listen to me when i told her not to

Firstly, unless you are told by the person what happened, stop guessing and asking for reasons, you will never know so that is a waste of energy.

Secondly, are you sure that the coastal is a burn and not scale rot?

Thirdly, the olive will not need treatment for that wound. If you want you can put something on it but it will heal easily and may leave a small scar, nothing to worry about. It will be gone after a few sheds. There is no way that is a cigar burn as it has affected the scales in front of the wound and the eyes as well.

By all means get them checked by the vet, but there is no point wondering what happened.... it is what it is ... just concentrate on doing what needs to be done to help them.

Last edited:
I think I may remember something about the Het Olive on another thread. I think I have heard enough to ask you suggest your friend does not look after any animals, it is plainly obvious a few basic requirements are unable to be kept. More importantly, animals are being harmed due to her various inabilities.
Good on you for trying to do the right thing by the animals.

Oh I hope the snakes are ok - my only comment on the burns, is one can/could be an accident - hmmm two...let's hope you can get all reptiles off this person and she never owns again. The RSPCA are pretty hopeless, but that's what they are suppose to be there for.....

Well I'm 100% sure it is NOT scalerot. And she didn't even know how the burns were caused- she's new to owning reptiles.... At first I thought it was a beginners mistake but to hurt 3 snakes in a row! Nope something's up don't you's think??

I fail to believe a heat mat could get so hot it would cause such severe burns, you think it would have be melting the plastic to do something like that.

ive temped some mats at over 60 degrees without a stat. so i believe a mat could cause a burn.

as for the olive being a cigarette burn, i highly doubt it. As pointed out it affects a fair distance forward from the main injury.

Well I'm 100% sure it is NOT scalerot. And she didn't even know how the burns were caused- she's new to owning reptiles.... At first I thought it was a beginners mistake but to hurt 3 snakes in a row! Nope something's up don't you's think??

I'm guessing she doesn't really care too much for them :( I know if either of mine got burnt like that - it would be straight to the vet without any hesitation.

You need to get on to DERM- if she's abusing these animals- and poor husbandry resulting in harm is abuse- you'd be doing a good thing stopping it now,as from what you've written and implied it's not the first or last time. Obviously there's something not right with this situation..and she's breeding the next generation too. How lovely.

Well I'm 100% sure its not scale rot! She said she doesnt know what caused the burns as she is only new to the reptile world, at first i thought it was beginners mistakes but now.. No way can someone hurt 3 snakes in a row, not by accident anyways. And about the heat mat, yes correct i have never heard before hand of a heat mat getting so hot and giving a snake a burn as bad as that! Please someone correct me if i am wrong and link me to where you have seen a burn this bad caused by a heat mat as i would like to see. Also if some people actually bothered to read my whole first post, i am sending the pair of them to who ive told is the best retile vet in QLD! And theres also been a change of plan, they will arrive tomorrow at the vets.

If you're for real (and I'm not suggesting you're just winding people up of course, but I dont really have anyway of being certain so just have to take your word for it) the continued occurence of injuries to animals indicates to me that she is either 1. injuring them on purpose or 2. unfit to look after pets.
Glad to hear the animals are in better care now, I think it would be a good idea to convince your friend to give up on reptile keeping, or report her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back