Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Whatever happened to the snake beginner to reptiles or not it is certainly a case of neglect so hopefully you will take the snakes get them to a vet and look after them and I your sp called freind newver owns a reptile or other animals

The heatmat needs a thermostat. Burns could be from the snake going belly up. Instead of giving her s#@t, maybe try and help her,( being a first time rep keeper), sort things out as quick as possible! P.S. your friend can pm me if she or yourself want.

The heatmat needs a thermostat. Burns could be from the snake going belly up. Instead of giving her s#@t, maybe try and help her,( being a first time rep keeper), sort things out as quick as possible! P.S. your friend can pm me if she or yourself want.

Here we go again..the APS flame patrol turning on a poster. From previous posts it seems the poster Has tried to help already without success.

''Yes i have seen their enclosures as i go their regularly, they are all full of poo and very dirty :( The heat mat is inside the enclosure. She has just put the heat mat on top of the fake grass then a hide straight on top of the heat mat- 'would not listen to me when i told her not to '

I agree with Cement on the olive , it would take a very skilled cigarette holder to put all the other small marks between the scales on the other effected areas while wrestling with a snake that wouldn`t be a happy camper at the alledged time of injury .

Here we go again..the APS flame patrol turning on a poster. From previous posts it seems the poster Has tried to help already without success.

''Yes i have seen their enclosures as i go their regularly, they are all full of poo and very dirty :( The heat mat is inside the enclosure. She has just put the heat mat on top of the fake grass then a hide straight on top of the heat mat- 'would not listen to me when i told her not to '
The comment was directed at the replies, not the OP. Sorry if it was taken the wrong way. Advice could be given to the OP and her friend on either how they could remedy the situation, or her friend finding a more suitable pet. I believe whoever sold her the snakes/setup,if knowing she was a first time keeper, should've informed her of the requirements to keep such animals. In no way was I trying to have a shot at the OP or her friend.

Is this the same snake that was burnt in July?
And is the olive het the one you said had hereditary rib problems but are now saying the kids crushed. Sorry for being cynical, but if you go there often and you knew the animals lived in filthy conditions, why would you sell her snakes in the first place. You have posted previously about a wild olive you though had had a stroke, a burnt coastal you owned and a het olive with rib problems, seems co-incidental that they are three exact same species with different owners and circumstances now. At that point you claimed you couldn't take the animals to a vet as you were stuck in Mt Isa. No I am not flaming the poster here, just very confused and feeling like something is not adding up.

I don't think the new to reptiles thing is any excuse to keep a filthy enclosure. I can almost understand accidental burns from a heat source, maybe a shop gave crappy advice, then again maybe not.
Responsible people do the homework first, don't buy on impulse, or get an animal if they aren't suitably prepared or even unable to keep up with all requirements (present/future).
Anyways whatever the suspicions of origin of the injuries is not relevant, as long as the animals are out of that environment (the animals don't get put through any more of this), and in fantastic care is.
It appears the snakes are going to the vet very soon and I bet I am not the only one that would like to know how they go, so please keep us all posted, and all the best with them too.
M.

Hey guys, sorry to confuse you all :/ The other posts i did a while back about the burnt ones were referring to the carpet, the burns wasnt nearly as bad then its gotten 100 times worse, there was nothing i could do at the time. The het albino olive, we thought it was hereditary but we got an xray at the vet and it ended up being that it had been squished :( as if someone stood on him. The olive python with the stroke- Had to be euthanized as it was not eating and not getting better, and our vet did not believe it would do any better in the wild. I dont think ive posted about about this olive before as earlier the scab thingy was not as big and noticeable. Also none of the snakes are my own i will say. Ive been keeping snakes now for about 15 years and NEVER had any problems with any of mine that have been in my care. Also yes i go there often but when i sold her the snakes i had them advertised around town before putting anything on the net and she called me. When she came over it sounded like she had lots of experience and i thought they were going to a good home- yes i know i was wrong. Her enclosures were well kept when they were first bought but after they started getting dirty and smelly she had no interest in cleaning the tanks, i have offered to clean them but she does not want me to clean them out for her- i dont know why. Also we do have a vet here but he only works on cats, dogs, horses etc not reptiles, thats why i said a while ago about the olive with the stroke we will have to go to Townsville for a check up. We sent videos of the snake to a vet in townsville and he was the one who recommended we get the snake euthanized. Please guys no more hate comments, its very hard to write things over the internet to make them sound correct but i can assure you all i've done everything possible and to the best of my ability to get these snakes back which i finally have and i cant help the fact of the unfortunate olive python. Fixing all these snakes which I had to pay for cost me alot of money, she couldnt pay as she ''has no money''. So please note im doing my best here ok.

Your right :) i understand sometimes when writing things on the internet sometimes the message isn't sent across as you intended it to, i do it sometimes too so im not the one to go hating on people for it :p I will keep yous all posted of what happens with the carpet python and the olive. I dont expect to hear anything till Thursday though as a very good friend is picking them up then taking them sometime to the vet (will definitely be this week).

:'( I feel so sorry for the snakes.
I hope that something can be done about what has happened to them.
Please go back to her house and remove the rest of her reptiles, not sure what you can do about the wild caught one/s though.
Please keep us updated and i hope they pull through their injuries.

PythonLegs, Thanks for sharing that with me and everyone else, its unfortunate for the people it happened to but good they shared it to send a warning to others... so exo terra and urs....Thats a bit scary as the heat mats i use are all urs brand... But ive always been careful with leaving them on as im sure most people would be because of these outcomes what can happen.

You should stop stressing yourself over how or why this injuries have occured, and start concentrating on helping these animals. I haven't read all your posts yet, but going straight from the OP, these poor snakes need lots of TLC. I have seen injuries on a carpet, like that before - almost identical in fact. I would recommend keeping him absolutely dry. No baths. Apply cream, silvazine, to the effected areas every day but that is all you can do. They may go through many shed processes, in attempt to heal themselves. Retained skin will no doubt stick to the wounds but not be tempted to pull it off. Leave it there. It will come off when its ready. Don't give him a large water bowl. Small one that he can drink from but can't climb into. Soaking burns is only asking for more trouble, as moisture gets trapped under their scales, causing more bacterial infections. Good luck with them, and keep us posted.

I fail to believe a heat mat could get so hot it would cause such severe burns, you think it would have be melting the plastic to do something like that.

Don't bet on it. Do you think a 10W heatmat can do this much damage to an enclosure and not burn the animals? I was lucky that my animals didn't sustain burns but when heat sources are not used appropriately (and very few know any better, I learnt the hard way) a 10W heatmat will burn as good as 100W mat.
012-1.jpg

001-6.jpg

059.jpg

This is my olive girl Stella. She hurt her nose trying to escape her enclosure. I had a lock on her door but she spent ages trying to squeeze through a gap that she ended up ripping the scale off her nose on the edge of the glass door. I didn't do anything except keep an eye on it, dabbed some iodine on it. It healed well. Left a scar but it did not effect her at all. But the only way to prevent this happening again was to move her from an enclosure with sliding glass doors to a top opening enclosure.

Last edited:
You should stop stressing yourself over how or why this injuries have occured, and start concentrating on helping these animals. I haven't read all your posts yet, but going straight from the OP, these poor snakes need lots of TLC. I have seen injuries on a carpet, like that before - almost identical in fact. I would recommend keeping him absolutely dry. No baths. Apply cream, silvazine, to the effected areas every day but that is all you can do. They may go through many shed processes, in attempt to heal themselves. Retained skin will no doubt stick to the wounds but not be tempted to pull it off. Leave it there. It will come off when its ready. Don't give him a large water bowl. Small one that he can drink from but can't climb into. Soaking burns is only asking for more trouble, as moisture gets trapped under their scales, causing more bacterial infections. Good luck with them, and keep us posted.

Don't bet on it. Do you think a 10W heatmat can do this much damage to an enclosure and not burn the animals? I was lucky that my animals didn't sustain burns but when heat sources are not used appropriately (and very few know any better, I learnt the hard way) a 10W heatmat will burn as good as 100W mat.
012-1.jpg

001-6.jpg

059.jpg

This is my olive girl Stella. She hurt her nose trying to escape her enclosure. I had a lock on her door but she spent ages trying to squeeze through a gap that she ended up ripping the scale off her nose on the edge of the glass door. I didn't do anything except keep an eye on it, dabbed some iodine on it. It healed well. Left a scar but it did not effect her at all. But the only way to prevent this happening again was to move her from an enclosure with sliding glass doors to a top opening enclosure.
wowwwww i hopoe she recovers quickly, i love olive pythons.

She did. And even at the time she did it, it didn't slow her down, didn't effect her appetite or her attitude :)

Ok guys update on the snakes: They been sent to my friend now and he is taking them to the vet tomorrow, not much news on the carpet but the olive definetly has some sort of burn, they will be putting cream on her head (some special sort) and then once the scab comes off they will examine her head bone to see if it has any bacteria growing on it- if so she will put under anesthetic and the top of the bone will be scarped. Thats the only update i have for now, more news on them tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back