Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
thats my defence to all the "cat lovers" when I've had chance meetings with feral cats in a dark alley with a lump of 4 x 2 in my hand... It was just instinct I tell you

Wow what a turn on..you're the ultimate man. Tough and brave (to take on an animal 1/10 the size of you) and with a lump of 4x2 OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH :lol: :lol:

It would probably ensure a pretty swift kill making it very humane.

orsm said:
I find this thread rather hilarious yet disturbing at the same time. It's so easy to point the finger at something so insignificant such as cats when we, as humans, have been the worst offenders when it comes to killing native wildlife for many many years. Sounds ironic. Maybe we should start culling humans too? :D

i have to agree here, i have seen cats do nasty things, but then i have seen people do worse, where do we start and end and who decides who or what is wrong? i know of a cat eaten by a snake in a surban home, not in the yard the home, so should we stop the snakes too ? i also know of a 6 week old puppy eaten by a snake....... those nasty terrible snakes we sould get rid of them ? what about the poor cow i had for dinner, or perhaps the kangroo i had last week, or the pig on sun, same thing sure they were only there to be food vs a wild animal, dont think they would se it that way if they had a choice but !

particular pets are not to blame, owners are to blame in most cases i feel. I have many pets 14 snakes, 3 lizards, 2 dogs, 4 cats, 3 birds and everyone gets along together (well the cats are scared of the snakes but they dont hurt each other anyhow) birds and dogs and cats all live inside, the cats are never out but then also dont even look at touching our birds that are also insdie ond often free in the house, dogs dont chase the cats etc etc etc. bad owners not bad pets. (with saying that there are some hard to control lik ekids really, i have seen good owners with bad pets, but hey they were trying unlike many )

just my 2 cents anyhow

mmm

but then i have seen people do worse

true, like catching a blue tongue and messing around with it and throwing small pebbles at it ect...(and this was in year 10)

also if you look at our closest relative the chimps well their just like us! they kill chimps in other groups, they invade other chimps territories they fight with one another over supremecy ect ect!

food for thought.

I feel theres a place for domestic pet cats, but also feel that they should be confined to a cattery enclosure when outside. Too many "domestic" cats slaughter native animals including lots of birds, small mammals as well as reptiles. When I lived on acreage at Kenthurst in Sydney, I saw this first hand with my neighbour telling me his domestic cat which was allowed to run wild 24/7 used to kill and leave at their back door at least 10 kills per day (mainly lizards and birds) I"ve heard these sort of stories all too often... The "city cats" may not do as much damage as the semi rural or rural cat, or cats near bushland, but still cause problems.
For those wondering :roll: I never touched that neighbours cat.. but it did tresspass into my property after my aviary birds.. and had an unfortunate mishap with my rottweiler :lol:

Feral cats are just that feral... and the fault belonbgs straight back on "cat lovers" who undoubtedly dumped the things in the bush instead of taking them to the RSPCA or animal refuge. In my opinion feral problem animals should be dispatched in the quickest and most humane way (I don't support cruelty to any animal) but dispatched none the less..

If cat people don't like the culling of feral cats.... maybe they should'nt dump them in the bush in the first place...

"If its feral... Its in peril" :D

I must have kill thousands of carp over the years but it had no effect at all.

It's not their fault they are ferals but it's not the native animals fault they have been invaded by ferals, which we did by settling here, so the way i see it is why not right the wrongs of our settlers

And you could kill thousands of cats and acheive the same result in the long term, possibly even do harm with your god intentions. (no typo)

Righting the wrongs is just not as simple as you put it, particularly where the ecosystem is involved. Ferals have change the balance of the food chain entirely and simply removing ferals may cause just as much disruption and problems as they have caused in the first place.
too many heroic 'eco-warrior/rambos' out 'saving' our wildlife imo.
Interference by man caused the problem and further well intentioned interference wont fix it, just make it worse.

I've had cats for nigh on four years now; two cats. For most of their lives they've been kept indoors; one has only once been outside (when he managed to fall out an open window), the other spends probaby equal time outside and inside (he's sitting on my lap at the moment) - he's desexed, and microchipped, too.
I live in a very suburban area almost underneath a motorway overpass; minutes from the centre of Sydney. Where I live, no native species visit except Brushtail possums that use the roof of next door as a thoroughfare, and are about twice the size of the cat that is allowed outside. He never touches them - actually, he runs back inside when they're in the area. The only thing he's ever killed are the rats that live in the gutters in the back alley behind this block of flats.
To me, that's acceptable. My cats have next to no impact on the environment.
However, I can see the other point of view, too. I grew up in the mountains, and our neighbours seemed to all have cats that they didn't bother keeping tabs on and would just roam through the bush. None were desexed, so sometimes there were kittens everywhere.
I'd regularly wake up in the morning to find the corpses of beautiful Bluetongues, Crimson Rosellas, Magpies, and, once, a baby Brushtail Possum. This devastated me as a kid (I loved all the native wildlife), and I'd talk to my friends about keeping their cats indoors - they never listened. It was just easier for them to let their cat roam, they said.
It makes me sad that, as a pretty responsible cat owner, there are other cat owners out there really doing damage to the reputation of being a cat owner through sheer negligence. If people are going to take on a pet, they should be fully aware and prepared to accept the responsibilities that go with pet ownership.
I used to chase all cats out of my yard in the mountains; usually throwing water at them. I'd never advocate killing another person's pet, though - never. That's illegal. Calling the council is a great alternative, though.
I do, howver, advocate shooting feral cats with no owners, which are the biggest problem in rural areas. So long as it's done quickly and humanely. I'm all for getting rid of feral cats, cane toads, goats, foxes, pigs, all feral animals - we introduced those species, so we should be the ones to make sure they don't get out of hand.
So while I do think that cats can pretty easily be kept in check and not decimate wildlife, I think that steps have to be taken to eradicate the feral problem.

You seem a really responsible cat owner Henchwench and I totally applaud that. I wish more cat owners showed responsibility for their animals and kept them inside or when outside in a cat run... at the least desex them and put a bell around their necks.. If that were the norm... there would not be such a problem, but sadly in my opinion, most (not all) cat owners don't behave responsibly or care about any native wildlife. In my experience, its rare to see or even hear about a responsible cat owner that actually has a cat run etc... most moggies just seem to run wild where ever they choose day or night.. and thats not the cats fault.. its the owners..

As previously said... I think the main reason there is a feral cat problem is because irresponsible cat owners dump animals in the bush instead of taking them to the RSPCA, welfare league or actually find them a home... The fact that the majority of these dumped animals are probably not desexed is just asking for an environmental disaster...

I find it ludicrous that certian cat lovers try to then take a stand against the culling of these pests when their fellow cat owners are mainly responsible for this mess in the first place :roll: maybe they should spend their efforts more productively trying to educate their fellow cat owners on the meaning of responsible pet keeping , desexing etc. instead of voicing their ill informed opinions. :D

i have to agree here, i have seen cats do nasty things, but then i have seen people do worse, where do we start and end and who decides who or what is wrong? i know of a cat eaten by a snake in a surban home, not in the yard the home, so should we stop the snakes too ? i also know of a 6 week old puppy eaten by a snake....... those nasty terrible snakes we sould get rid of them ? what about the poor cow i had for dinner, or perhaps the kangroo i had last week, or the pig on sun, same thing sure they were only there to be food vs a wild animal, dont think they would se it that way if they had a choice but !
Firstly become a vegan, oh no wait thats cruel to plants... become a fifth level vegan :lol:

If someone doesnt look after their animals and protect them from the local wildlife it is their fault, atleast the snake got a good feed. When we have a puppy we keep it in a snake proof house until its too big for a carpet snake to eat, pretty simple really.

Some ppl are worse than cats, irresponcible cat owners for a start. However many ppl such as myself try there best to fix up damage caused by such ppl so we are good 8)

particular pets are not to blame, owners are to blame in most cases i feel.

yes good point :D

Righting the wrongs is just not as simple as you put it, particularly where the ecosystem is involved. Ferals have change the balance of the food chain entirely and simply removing ferals may cause just as much disruption and problems as they have caused in the first place.
too many heroic 'eco-warrior/rambos' out 'saving' our wildlife imo.
Interference by man caused the problem and further well intentioned interference wont fix it, just make it worse.
Although there is some fact in what you say, to put it in such a general statement like that is just stupid, cats dont play an important role and are very differant from the quolls and devils u suggest they replace, thats why they are so bad.
Why some ppl constantly put this macho slant on anyone who actually cares about wildlife is beyond me. Im so tuff because i protect sugar gliders, yeah dont mess with me im hardcore :lol:
I have heaps of frogs and tree snakes in my yard partly because i kill any toad i see on this level being a hardcore "ecorambo" :lol: it is highly effective. If more ppl didnt the same instead of taking your defeatest attitude our wildlife would be alot better off. Unfortunately the neighbours often call the police after all the m60 fire and rambo style yelling :roll: dam im so tuff oooahhh!!!!! :roll:

Although there is some fact in what you say, to put it in such a general statement like that is just stupid, cats dont play an important role and are very differant from the quolls and devils u suggest they replace, thats why they are so bad.

I am not sure what this statement is supposed to mean. Are you trying to say that cats do play an important role? Otherwise this statement is contradictory.

Why some ppl constantly put this macho slant on anyone who actually cares about wildlife is beyond me. Im so tuff because i protect sugar gliders, yeah dont mess with me im hardcore :lol:

I think the point being made here is that cats don't generally go round killing native wildlife IF they are not given the opportunity to do so. Without sounding too much like a cat advocate (which I can tell you I am not as I prefer dogs), surely it must be obvious by now most cat-related issues stem from irresponsible pet owners?

A lot of the ideas being put forward eg. putting bells on cats to warn native wildlife, restricting roaming access etc are good suggestions and should be mandatory (imo).

I've been absent for nearly two months. I am astonished to come back and find the same old arguments raging on. Really people, like cats or not, can't you just get over it?

reptililian said:
I've been absent for nearly two months. I am astonished to come back and find the same old arguments raging on. Really people, like cats or not, can't you just get over it?

Hey Lilly, you will find it is the same thread... continuing into a deeper and more meaningful discussion.

Are you trying to say that cats do play an important role?
Definately not, what instarnett said was a general statement about all feral animals which may be true regarding some animals but definately not cats(thats what i was trying to get across).
1 e.g. our current rabbit population would have minimal negative environmental impact and have proven to be a good source of food for quolls where bushfires have burnt off all the possums.
It is a very complex issue and its hard to know exactly what is and isnt good, but cats do not fit in here.

From what i have heard bells just make cats develop better stalking skills so the bell doesnt ring. Snakes arnt well known for their hearing ability either.

:D In a very small article on Cats and Koalas in the latest "Australian Womens Weekly" speaking about 'Cat enclosures' it states: "Cats live longer. It has been estimated that enclosed cats can live up to twice the age of free roaming cats."

and it goes on to say "An enclosure prevents cat fights and feline AIDS that can be spread through bites-important now that up to 30% of cats in some areas are FIV positive"
It also brings the reader's attention to a website: www.catmax.com.au where it states: "In a perfect world every cat would have a Catmax." :wink: :wink:

animcat.gif

First of all can I just say LILY BILLY!!!!! WHERE YA BEEN!?!?!? :D

And now that that's out of my system, on to the quote battle :lol:

and the fault belonbgs straight back on "cat lovers" who undoubtedly dumped the things in the bush instead of taking them to the RSPCA or animal refuge

You'd probably find that it was a "cat hater" who took someone's pet cat and dumped it in the bush actually lol. Why would someone who loves them do that? :?

In my opinion feral problem animals should be dispatched in the quickest and most humane way (I don't support cruelty to any animal) but dispatched none the less..

and had an unfortunate mishap with my rottweiler :lol:

Hmmmmmmm.....

You'd probably find that it was a "cat hater" who took someone's pet cat and dumped it in the bush actually lol. Why would someone who loves them do that?
maybe because they couldnt look after it and didnt want to kill it :? If someone hated cats wouldnt they just kill it and chuck it in the bin rather than going to some effort to dump it :? and if the hate cats why would they would they want to create or add to the feral population :? hmmm maybe im thinking too much about what i say :lol:

That feline aids thing sounds good once it spreads through most of the feral population all that is need is a feline virus or 2(or more) and with abit of help from us "ecorambos" :lol: their all gone :D

If someone hated cats wouldnt they just kill it and chuck it in the bin rather than going to some effort to dump it

No most cat haters (at least on here) seem to like to torture before killing because "they're feral and it's what they deserve" blah blah blah. Taking a domestic cat and putting it into the wild where (before the feral population started) they would have no idea cats would survive so well, they may have thought that they'd get eaten by some native animal while teaching their irresponsible owner a lesson :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back