Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My God, here's another thread that has got to over 10 pages before I've been bored enough to read it, lol, it must be a bad night for me tonight :)

The council animal control officer will be collecting the second cat in a week from our household this morning. We believe this one to be one of the two main culprits killing and maiming possums and birds in our yard.

If their owners were responsible enough to keep them indoors the native animals would be happier and they would not have the greif of losing a pet.

That feline aids thing sounds good once it spreads through most of the feral population all that is need is a feline virus or 2(or more) and with abit of help from us "ecorambos" their all gone

roll on feline aids :lol: :lol: thats sounds the best disease I've heard of :lol:

but once the current feral cats are wiped out... it wont take long for these irresponsible cat people to dump more of their feline trash in bushland and we will be back to square one...

Ouzo I don't think anyone on here likes to tortue animals (even feral cats) what planet are you on?
I suppose you would like to see feral cats multiply and kill thousands of native mammals, birds and reptiles in our bushland? :roll: Because if they aren't controlled, thats whats likely to happen and is already happening...

And as was said previously... its not cat haters that dump cats in the bush... a cat hater would kill the thing... its the cat lovers who wont take animals to the RSPCA or other organisation and think by dumping them that they have a chance of survival (at the expense of our native fauna) that dump them..

There is definitely a place for cats as pets in responsible households (with a cat run) there is no place for them running wild in our bushland..

I suppose you support the spread of cane toads as well? :roll:

Ouzo no one likes to tortue animals (even feral cats) what planet are you on?

Jesus are you living in fairy land? I thought that was just me until the aps cat haters/torturers brought me into the real world! :lol:

I was wondering something last night and I'd love an honest answer to this question (but doubt I'll get it). Correct me if I'm wrong about locations but I think there's a wild population of Burmese pythons in Florida which came about due to animals getting too big for owners and them releasing them into the wild. They've survived quite well and are breeding I believe. Do you guys believe that it's the RIGHT thing to do to be killing off Burmese pythons in the wild in Florida because they don't belong there? Is it ok for "snake haters" to joke about chopping off their heads with shovels, swerving on roads to try and run them over deliberately, to talk about how all disgusting dirty feral Burmese Pythons should suffer because they're killing any native wildlife and taking over the area? (I don't know any of the specific circumstances so please excuse me if those examples are incorrect/irrelevant but you get my point). Would you guys feel 100% percent happy that people over there are killing reptiles because of the EXACT same conditions as feral cats here or is it different because it's a snake?

I'd say most people will claim they agree to prevent looking like a hypocrit but I don't think I'd ever believe that anyone's telling the truth :)

ok what I "mean't to say was
I don't think anyone on here likes to tortue animals (even feral cats)
yes I realise there are many individuals that like to tortue animals including cats... but I thought the standard of member on here would be above that (maybe I"m naive) anyway thats what I meant.

Do you guys believe that it's the RIGHT thing to do to be killing off Burmese pythons in the wild in Florida because they don't belong there?

Being a snake lover its sad and hard to answer that question but the honest answer is yes... they are feral to the native fauna of that country and if they are causing a problem with that native wildlife they should be controlled. Just because they are snakes (and I love snakes) they have been dumped by irresponsible snake owners just the same way as the cats have been dumped here... so as hard as it is to say it... I think the burmese in that situation should be culled.

Would you guys feel 100% percent happy that people over there are killing reptiles because of the EXACT same conditions as feral cats here or is it different because it's a snake?

tough question... and my honest answer is yes. If it was dumped burmese pythons in the australian bushland killing our native fauna.. i would feel the same. Feral cats or feral snakes... they don't belong in our bushland... So yes personally I am 100% happy with that, because as you point out.. that situation is exactly the same as the feral cats... (but it would still make me sad that there were such irresponsible snake owners that would do such a thing as dump an animal in the bush rather than try to relocate it with another owner)

I'd say most people will claim they agree to prevent looking like a hypocrit but I don't think I'd ever believe that anyone's telling the truth
Beleive what you want... personally I think that last statement is a real cheap shot at trying to validate your argument... very sad that you had to resort to that one :roll:
and for your information... Im not saying the above "just to not look like a hypocrite" whether you believe that or not I don't give a rats... but I would like to inform you that some of us here have principles and try to stick by them...

Would you guys feel 100% percent happy that people over there are killing reptiles because of the EXACT same conditions as feral cats here or is it different because it's a snake?
yes its a good idea to cull pest animals even if they dont have legs. I would be doing it myself if i lived in florida.

Are the ppl who dump these pythons python haters? would make sence to me :lol:

I'd say most people will claim they agree to prevent looking like a hypocrit but I don't think I'd ever believe that anyone's telling the truth
Yeah your right i would never kill a notorious pest if it was a herp :lol:

Still waiting to hear who here tortures cats, send me a pm if you dont want to name them in here.[/quote]

It's not a cheap shot Colin, it's an extremely frustrating fact that people on this site (yes I know it's a reptile site not a cat one yada yada) are generally very hypocritical regarding the cat issue. No respect is shown towards people who like cats (ie: comments like "it had an unfortunate run in with my rottweiler :lol:") but then people post up copied threads from other websites where people have talked about killing snakes and they've been so upset/angry/frustrated that people still act barbarically towards herps (ie: "the only good snake is a dead snake"). I get sucked into arguing this point almost every time cos it's so annoying fighting with people who refuse to view the other side of the story that I just can't resist lol. Nobody puts themselves in other people's shoes...why don't you think about how some of your comments like the rottweiler one would make a cat lover feel and wonder why the general public (probably mostly cute cuddly cat lovers) think we're a pack of freaks who are cold and unfeeling like our animals :lol:.

yes I realise there are many individuals that like to tortue animals including cats... but I thought the standard of member on here would be above that (maybe I"m naive) anyway thats what I meant.

Fair enough, but have you been a member long enough to see this argument come up time and time again? And to read all the lovely ways people like to kill cats on here? I was making that comment based on past posts, not guessing lol.

tough question... and my honest answer is yes.

I hope you are being honest because there's no reason why feral snakes should be treated differently than feral cats just because we're reptile lovers :?

yep , you even get "toughies" wanting to wait in dark alleys for cats with a piece of 4x2.....but that wasn't on this site.....was it???

HAHAHAHAHA thanks for that Kris...I have a maximum 3 post memory :lol: ;)

i understand what you guys are fighting for, as i have done the same........but when it comes to this issue, i think a brick wall is needed to beat your head against. :)

No respect is shown towards people who like cats (ie: comments like "it had an unfortunate run in with my rottweiler ")

FACT.. this cat should have been inside or in a cat run and not alowed to run riot through semi rural bush. Our property (5 acre bush block) actually backed onto a nature reserve as well which this cat used to kill animals from daily.

FACT:: "an unfortunate run in" does not mean my dog killed it or even attacked it... thats your spin on what was actually said. The truth of the matter was the cat tresspassed onto my property (and the neighbour knew I had a large and expensive collection of aviary birds and actually used to come and admire them) and should have had his cat in a cat run or inside their house at night... My dog chased it and almost grabbed it... but the cat got away... (if he had grabbed it and started to rip into it I would have stopped it) your inference of my dog ripping it to shreds is in your mind only..

I have repeatedly said there is a place for domestic cats with responsible owners, there is no problem there. There is however a problem with (the majority) of irresponsible owners who allow there cats to roam unrestrained especially in bushland areas. There is also a problem with cat owners who dump there unwanted animals in our bush to become ferals. Its with these cats and these particular irresponsible owners I have issue wth not the responsible ones. But I do kind of understand your point about people saying "the only good snake is a dead snake" situation and can understand your frustrations.

I hope you are being honest because there's no reason why feral snakes should be treated differently than feral cats just because we're reptile lovers

I am being honest here Ouzo... and agree with you 100% on this point. Feral is feral and it makes no difference with its a snake, a cat, a dog, cane toad or whatever. If its feral and is is causing problems with native wildlife it should be removed (as humanely as possible) as soon as possible, full stop - no exceptions.

Nobody puts themselves in other people's shoes...why don't you think

Ever tried it yourself Zoe?
How can you compare someone pouring boiling water over a native snake that merely happened to be passing through and was spotted by a herp hater to someone poutting a bullet through a cat that was living purely off murdered wildlife?
Yes, the burms should be killed, humanely, just like the cats should be. Incidently, I think being run over is probably one of the most humane ways of killing a mammal.
So should the Inian Mynahs.
So should the Cane Toads (oops, they are a herp, did you forget about them?)
I've come under fire for saying this before and I'm sure i will this time, but if one of my snakes escaped and was in the neighbours yard, I would expect them to kill it. would I be upset? Ropable! but I know that is what would happen.
Why should cat owners be the only ones allowed to let their animals roam into other people property?
It's called being responsible for your own actions. Dog owners aren't allowed to do it. What other animal would be expected to crap in some kids sandpit, spray unrine all over someones car interior and be allowed to get away with it?
BTW as a confirmed cat HATER one thing I see no place for in the torturing of any animal.

yep , you even get "toughies" wanting to wait in dark alleys for cats with a piece of 4x2.....but that wasn't on this site.....was it???

no one inferred it was "tough" except yourself and maybe Ouzo. thats your spin on it to try to substaniate your point of view (typical female tactic I might add :roll: ) In my experience every thing seems to degenerate to "toughies" "macho's" or "rambos" etc :roll: when females run short of logical argument :roll: :lol:

I don't think it tough or otherwise... just necessary. and as was said in a prior post by Herptrader... its an extremely humane and fast way of dealing with this feral problem...

What I was referring to by 'further well intentioned interference by ecorambos'
was that all ferals were introduced in the first place by well intentioned eco heros beleiving they were right.
cats were released in the 1800's
after their original introduction by the dutch traders in the 17th centurury, they had already established colonies
but this wasnt enough.
The clever eco heros decided in the 1800's that further releases of feral cats would help eradicate the
earlier intoduction of rabbits.
one mistake after another. by 1930's we still hadnt figured out it wasnt such an easy proposition to eradicate pests. we introduced cane toads aswell.
still screwing up.
now that ferals have found a confy niche in the ecology here, due to many factors
including, lack of predation, the right climate etc etc, these are exabeerated by human enroachment on habitat and other continuing interference.
habitats are fractured in many areas, leaving isolated pockets of the original ecosystem.
this may mean (E>G) that within a given pocket, there may exist a tenuous balance now between surviving natives and ferals, each now dependant on the
existance of each other for survival, perhaps due to forestation, human habitat etc.
wiping out a feral species in these areas may seem a simple solution
but may infact do more harm to surviving natives.
wipe out foxes and cats and rabbits may boom, further pressuring natives through destruction of habitat (burrows) compition
for for food etc.wipe out rabbits and another species previously kept in check by their numbers
now fills the niche with perhaps the same effect for another.
Its just no longer as simple as 'kill-em-all'.
this was my point. In everyday terms, your efforts are probably better spent
lobbying for compulsary sterilisation of non natives and effective legislation to back it up.
killing your neighbours cats is like bailing the sea with a coffee spoon.
educate them instead. put your4x2's away and pick up a pen.
organisations like the rspca are just not seeing the bigger picture.
welfare of all creatures is to be applauded, but when your slogan is 'all creatures great and small'
it clearly needs to go beyond finding new homes for lost pets.
rspca has the clout and vote power to see in legislation to compulsarily sterilise non natives.
They should have been working to this end years ago.
the literal few thousand dogs and cats my husband personally euthanised during his employ there made not a scap of difference, nor did the untold
thousands before that or those that continue.
Bandaid treatment including well intentioned cat murders are just not enough nor will ever be.
we need to stop the flood at its source.

Last time I looked I wasn't a female. Also, you think that females have to have "tactics" to put their point across....... I don't think that OUZO has run short of logical argument Colin.And since I am not a female , you mustn't be talking to me......

RSPCA has the clout and vote power to see in legislation to compulsarily sterilise non natives. They should have been working to this end years ago.

Good point and I totally agree with the sterilisation of domestic pets (dogs and cats) that are not to be used for breeding purposes, by a licensed breeder.

Also maybe it should be compulsory for cat and dog owners to keep their animals restrained on their property, whether this means keeping them inside or in a closed in run or both. This should be a mandatory requirement of dog and cat ownership. All animals should be mandatory microchipped, so if a feral animal was captured (either dead or alive) it could be traced back to the owner/dumper and if a case was found of dumping a sizeable fine imposed.

These measures could have a dramatic influence on the feral cat problem.. Once the existing feral animals were removed... this feral situation would probably not be as commonplace as it is today... and we would not be arguing about it on here anymore :D

Last time I looked I wasn't a female. Also, you think that females have to have "tactics" to put their point across....... I don't think that OUZO has run short of logical argument Colin.And since I am not a female , you mustn't be talking to me......

:lol: yeah I assumed you were both females actually.. my mistake then :wink:

put your4 x 2's away

okelly dokelly :lol: geez I'll never live that one down... :lol:

Be warned people :twisted: don't mess with me or I"ll come after you with my trusty 4 x 2 and whammo..
lights out :lol: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back