Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hardcorey007

Reaction score
Below is a list of the new cross breed additions on the NSW species code list. My question is why are these ones there and others aren't? For example there's no codes for Darwin anything crosses, MD/Jungle crosses, MD/Bredli, etc, you get my point. Why are these the only ones they list? Is it because these are the ones they've come across in peoples collections and realised they needed codes for? Or is it just because that's all they thought up. I'd hazzard a guess at the first one. This isn't meant as a stir up debate about hybrids or crosses. They're obviously here enough for them to warrant creating new species codes or they are predicting that they will be. I'm just curious to hear peoples opinions about why they only included these ones.

Morelia spilota spilota x Morelia cheynei​
Diamond/Jungle Python Hybrid T170 R1,R2,R3,R4,R5

Morelia spilota spilota x Morelia mcdowelli​
Carpet/Diamond Python T171 R1,R2,R3,R4,R5

Morelia spilota spilota x Morelia mcdowelli​
Diamond/Coastal Carpet Python Hybrid T166 R1,R2,R3,R4,R5

Morelia spilota spilota x Morelia metcalfei Diamond/Murray/Darling Carpet Python Hybrid T185 R1,R2,R3,R4,R5
Morelia spilota mcdowelli x Morelia bredli
Coastal/Centralian Carpet Python Hybrid T164 R1,R2,R3,R4,R5

Morelia spilota mcdowelli x Morelia cheynei
Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python Hybrid T167 R1,R2,R3,R4,R5

Morelia spilota spilota x Morelia bredli Diamond/Centralian Carpet Python Hybrid T165 R1,R2,R3,R4,R5

I'm presuming that it's because they are the only hybrids that npws have been told of by breeders.

interesting, where was this taken from, wouldnt mind checking it out

re Cross

Yeh your right gird,dont know why they bother putting down the half dozen regional crosses of carpets,its a complete waste of time,scientists want to lump them together again the way they were fourty or so years ago rightly or wrongly.once they are regionaly crossed surely they are just Morelia spilota for the DECC or pet industry,they are not going back to the wild anyway.

Not a hybrid fan but have seen some awesome looking diamond/bredli.. they have the bredli markings with the diamond colour!!
At least people might be more honest with what they are selling now! Its a shame but as zulu stated they are not going to be released into the wild, hopefully..

Anyone here keen enough to post some pictures of their hybrids/crosses?

I dont see the need to record the assumed cross in record books. Just a single category for Morelia cros or Morelia (unknown ) will end up more accurate as 3,4,5 and 6 way crosses emerge. Does all this extra detail benefit wild Australian reptiles, which I assume is the principle task of NPWS? I seems records for records sake and of little benefit to the hobby or wild animals!

Despite them listing hybrid codes, the opening page of the DECC species list states:

"Some hybridised animals are recorded in this list. The Department does not support native animal keepers who breed between animals of different species"

That just means we don't really agree but do it anyway and we'll just give it a code.

curious to know, if they are going to lump all the morelia togeather would that include the bredli??

Reason i ask this, the bredli has smaller scales than other morelia and assuming that they wont include the amethistina in the big bulk up?

Intergrades?

Could someone help me out here please, looking through this list I failed to find a code for the Port Mac. Intergrade, the only thing I could find was Diamond/Coastal I am assuming this is the correct listing as there is two. The other being Diamond/Coastal hybrid.

Would my assumption be correct?

Cheers Stephen.

either way, the decc will never really know what they have on their books because its what they are told by the breeder and there are alot of pet shop bought animals bought as something they are not!

Intergrades

Could someone help me out here please, looking through this list I failed to find a code for the Port Mac. Intergrade, the only thing I could find was Diamond/Coastal I am assuming this is the correct listing as there is two. The other being Diamond/Coastal hybrid.

Would my assumption be correct?

Cheers Stephen.

Code T171

I dont see the need to record the assumed cross in record books. Just a single category for Morelia cros or Morelia (unknown ) will end up more accurate as 3,4,5 and 6 way crosses emerge. Does all this extra detail benefit wild Australian reptiles, which I assume is the principle task of NPWS? I seems records for records sake and of little benefit to the hobby or wild animals!

Not only that, but what is the point in calling it "cross" when we talking about sub-species? Many of them "cross" naturally and I wouldn't be surprised if one day some taxonomist will come along and say "they are all just Morelia spilota var. anyway.
Stupid bureaucracy certainly prevails in NSW wildlife department.

Not only that, but what is the point in calling it "cross" when we talking about sub-species? Many of them "cross" naturally and I wouldn't be surprised if one day some taxonomist will come along and say "they are all just Morelia spilota var. anyway.
Stupid bureaucracy certainly prevails in NSW wildlife department.

Thats already been done. M.s.variegata consists of Darwins, Jungles, Coastals and Inlands / MDs. M.s.spilota still stands as does bredli and imbricata.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back