Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KaaTom

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I picked up a heap of mice today and was wondering what the most humane way of culling pinkies is? I have heard that using co2 doesnt work as well with pinkies opposed to the others (cant see why) and was wondering what everyone else thinks on this?

They do take alot longer to die using CO2. What I do is gas them in a bag, then place the bag ontop of a frozen freezer block, theyre usually out within minutes.

I think that c02 is not a good idea for pinky's the simplest way is to just throw them on to a tile floor dead every time fast and humane

Pleases dont use Co2 for pinky's and please dont just put them in the freezer

Lewy

Not the most pleasant but i find throwing them on a concrete floor quite hard works a treat. I've tried gassing, breaking necks and clonking pinkies but there is to much room for error those ways where as the throw works first time and is very quick

i Use a soda stream and chinese container for a c02 gas chamber. Cheap to make and works in a humane manner

Me I hate co2 I think its not a very nice way to do it BUT if you can't do it by clonking then its the next best thing

But should NEVER be used on pinky's!!!!!!!!!

But should NEVER be used on pinky's!!!!!!!!!

Care to explain why instead of just saying don't do it?

I just gave a method that kills them as quickly as any other sizes, and I know alot of people who do the same thing. Its no less humane than gassing an adult rodent.

I didnt say to put them straight in the freezer, I said to gas them first which pretty much makes them unconcious within seconds, then place them on a cold block until they stop breathing.

hmm i would go with co2 as a humane way although concrete would be good.. downside is the guts,blood ect that can possibly happen.

i just thought of something ive seen people do this with chickens, get a metal or so tray put a bit of water in it and stick some live pinkieso n it and get an electric current and zap the water, will fry their brain instand and is very humane. thats how they kill chickens in the industry

downside is the guts,blood ect that can possibly happen.

Concrete used to be my method. I never had one pop.

Nowadays I old by the tail, press down on the neck and pull on the tail. Very quick. I'd probably still use the throw at floor method on pinkies.

Care to explain why instead of just saying don't do it?

I just gave a method that kills them as quickly as any other sizes, and I know alot of people who do the same thing. Its no less humane than gassing an adult rodent.

I didnt say to put them straight in the freezer, I said to gas them first which pretty much makes them unconcious within seconds, then place them on a cold block until they stop breathing.

Ummm I never said that you said to put them in the freezer you should read my post again

Killing rodents with co2 is not a fast way to kill them its slow and distressing IMO

I think the best way to kill them is by clonking them, works every time and they are dead in a split of a second they also do not spoil themselves witch stinks

Concrete used to be my method. I never had one pop.

Nowadays I old by the tail, press down on the neck and pull on the tail. Very quick. I'd probably still use the throw at floor method on pinkies.

What size rodent you doing this to?

Ummm I never said that you said to put them in the freezer you should read my post again

Killing rodents with co2 is not a fast way to kill them its slow and distressing IMO

I think the best way to kill them is by clonking them, works every time and they are dead in a split of a second they also do not spoil themselves witch stinks

Sorry I thought it was directed at me, was just making sure.

But if done correctly I dont think its that distressing at all. Of course if you go and pump 100% straight CO2 it would be, but if done slowly and gradually its fine. Of course there are better gasses to do this with but not that we can freely get our hands on and that wont leave residues in the tissue.

Some of us arent that strong of heart that we can throw something against the ground to kill it, or break their necks etc.

Sorry I thought it was directed at me, was just making sure.

But if done correctly I dont think its that distressing at all. Of course if you go and pump 100% straight CO2 it would be, but if done slowly and gradually its fine. Of course there are better gasses to do this with but not that we can freely get our hands on and that wont leave residues in the tissue.

Some of us arent that strong of heart that we can throw something against the ground to kill it, or break their necks etc.

LOL that's cool!!! and yer I no its not easy to kill the way I do It took me some getting use to and I would never say I like doing it I hate ending any animal's life

Happy mothers day every one:D

Lewy

i dont know why people with a small collection to feed mess about with CO2, there is nothing as quick as throwing them at the floor.

funny how you are all talking about what is and isnt HUMANE here, which you have to sit back and think, why are you all saying throwing it on the ground is humane? BE FOR REAL! its cruel, and inhumane lol you cannot throw an animal on the ground in front of an rspca officer could you? So gassing is the most LEGAL and HUMANE way id say. I mean hell, i throw babys on the ground lol but dont go saying its humane.. i think the majority of you just tend to belive it becasue thats all you know. or all you have ever done.

schnakey, you clearly have a different opinion as to what is "humane". As far as I am concerned, "Humane" is to show compassion toward an animal, and I do that by killing it as quickly and painlessly as possible.

schnakey, you clearly have a different opinion as to what is "humane". As far as I am concerned, "Humane" is to show compassion toward an animal, and I do that by killing it as quickly and painlessly as possible.

Yeah but if you slowly suffocate or freeze them, you see them alive, walk away and when you come back they are dead like you get from the shop. Apparently its more humane to pretend you arnt killing them.

CO2 and freezer for pinkies, CO2 for fuzzies or bigger. Have clonked them on the head before but i'm too weak to keep doing it, CO2 seems the best compromise. Has anyone tried breaking the neck by pulling the tail? I was advised to hold them down by placing a pencil/stick over the neck and then give the taila sharp pull, it breaks their neck and their dead straight away. Takes longer than just throwing them at the ground, but much less mess involved.

The easiest way for me and the most humane way, i find is a simple flick to the back of the head! with adult mice and rats just a bonk with a pair of tongs or a old pan just on the head usally kills them pritty quick! and you dont have to do it hard if you hit the right place! They only time would set up a co2 system is if i had about 20 rats to cull at once! even then i would find it much easier just to throw them at a all! Sorry to anyone whom thinks that sounds mean but i dont discourage they way you take the word humane!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back