Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cooma7

Reaction score
hey guys, i have a childrens python. i have had it for just over a month now.. everything seems to be going fine.. i got it when it was a hatchling, so its still small.
just a quick weird question.. do they know who there owner is?.. the reason i ask, is when i pick it up, it curls up in my hand and will hang around my hand for over half hour, just cruising, but anyone else that picks it up, it just wants to go up their sleve, or clim up their jumper to go somewhere dark... also when i pass it to someone else, sometimes it stretcches out back at me again..
or is it that it doesnt like me so isnt active when i hold it?

thanks

ryan

Sometimes mine yell out my name if they want their water changed, or are craving a fuzzy. So yeah, I guess they know who I am? I caught my jungle peeking in my wallet at my license, probably where he got my name from. I hope he's not into identity theft or anything like that :?

Honestly, I think the python would recognise its owners scent, and become comfortable/complacent with that human because it has been around it for a long time and has realised there is no threat from the source of said scent.

They become familiar with their surroundings and scents and I suppose famialarise u as the one who they in a way of putting it could trust as a non-threat (not that snakes can trust someone or something). Its all just what the snake is familar with.

Haha, I thought you were just taking the piss when you first wrote that. :)

its just strange, it acts so different around me than it does with anyone else. just weird... he is the first snake I have owned and im still new with it all, but I just thought they were a kind of food and hide kind of pet. and didnt really know who was around, but starting to see a bit of personality in him (not sure if its a boy or a girl yet. I just say him :p )

Yeah, I think my pygmy has gotten to know my scent cause she does the same thing. She tries to get back to me when others hold her and just sits on my hand when I hold her. She knows my smell and that smell means food, safety and eventually getting back home.

though it would be awesome if we could talk to them and teach tricks lol

I have a little tart of a bredli who is happy enough with me handling her but anyone else and she has a tendency to urintate and defecate like a crazy chimp. charming.

I like to think my snakes love me, and know that they have a safe, secure home with me. But some of them act just like ungrateful kids and continue to show attitude no matter how much you try to reason with them.

Haha, but of course if I was to leave a door open, see if any of them stick around. I think they will all say CYA later :D

Snakes like all animals have a very keen sense of smell they know who there owners are and will feel safe around around you rather than a different person they dont know then again given the chamce of freedom they will always escape

well when im near a few of my pythons enc's they come to the glass to say hello, but if anyone else gets close they disapear..

My bredli wont let anyone else handle her, even though i just struggle handling her as she is very tempermental she strikes at anyone moving past. She acts so ungrateful and she has a 'couldn't really give a crap about you' attitude she just loves to explore. she is getting better, but i feel happy that im the only one that she will let have 'minimal' contact with her, as to her its a breach of privacy if i enter her space hahah typical.

They are very responsive to scent and definitely recognise the scent of those who commonly handle them. My snakes rarely bother to tongue flick when I handle them, but do so more frequently with unfamiliar people.

My MD is fine to be held by other people but if he can see me he'll try to come back to me. Sometimes he'll find a comfortable place to sit on my arm and then he'll just sit there and stay still. That's a pretty good sign that they know they're comfortable with you :)

My snakes like to make me look stupid. I posted not long back that my bredli yearlings live together well so what do they do? That same day they try to eat each other. My GTP needed help poking a prolapse back in. I find help and what does GTP do? Puts it away himself.

Things happen in threes. There is another prank coming sometime soon.

My new Childrens python only 4months old is a lot my relaxed with me than anyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back