Electricians..... settle an arguement please

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woma_Wild

Reaction score
I recently purchased a second hand double enclosure cabinet so I'm doing a bit of DIY on it.
Both sections have 2 x BC lamp holders so rather than get an electrician to re wire them , I purchased BC to ES adapters.

I have been told by an electrician that these adapters are illegal.

Is this true ?

If u bought them over the counter they can't be that illegal
You can buy a bong over the counter but if you are caught with a used one you will be charged. Back to the OP I am an electrician but do not work in the house wiring industry but have not heard of these being illegal but as perviously stated they are a fire risk.

What I got told by the bloke at the local reptile shop is that household fittings are only rated to 60watts. This is the reason that all my enclosures have ceramic ES fittings rated to 250watts. I can imagine that the adapters would be a fire hazard because i have seen them partially melt when people have used CHE's in them... I haven't heard that the adapters are illegal, but i wouldn't be surprised if it is true...

What I got told by the bloke at the local reptile shop is that household fittings are only rated to 60watts. This is the reason that all my enclosures have ceramic ES fittings rated to 250watts. I can imagine that the adapters would be a fire hazard because i have seen them partially melt when people have used CHE's in them... I haven't heard that the adapters are illegal, but i wouldn't be surprised if it is true...
I believe the BC (house fitting) bases are rated up to 100W but it is the adaptor BC to ES (screw in type) is only rated at 60W.

I've never heard of adaptors being illegal. But the above is correct. They are usually only rated for 60w and certainly not rated for ceramic heat emitters.
(I'm a sparky).

the current fittings are plastic BC . the adapters are ceramic. I plan on using max 40W
Like i said as long as the connections are good and you are within the rating as you are it should not catch fire. It is up to you but i would not on one of my enclosures.

Taking risks with electrical fittings... hmmm. You could lose your house, so it could turn out a bit more expensive than 30 mins of a sparkie's time...

Probably too young to remember the fire at the ARP...

Jamie

Just a question slightly off topic but for breeders are your snakes and equipment insurable? I am asking because a lot more stuff is these days if you pay the premium and I have my dogs insured.

I've looked around and could only find insurance to cover enclosures etc.

i've tried too but no luck, anyone out there who knows of an insurance mob that likes reptile people can you please hook me up?

Wattages stated for light fittings are usually for a specific type of lamp, plastic BC fittings are normally rated for incandescent lamps, as soon as you put anything else in them the wattage rating is meaningless. A 60w CHE runs a great deal hotter than a 60w incandescent lamp. I used to work in a lighting factory.

Wattages stated for light fittings are usually for a specific type of lamp, plastic BC fittings are normally rated for incandescent lamps, as soon as you put anything else in them the wattage rating is meaningless. A 60w CHE runs a great deal hotter than a 60w incandescent lamp. I used to work in a lighting factory.
Good point about the CHE I didn't even think about them as I don't use them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back