Electricians..... settle an arguement please

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the edits.......:oops:

It's not on......only had it on briefly once......is unplugged well and truly and had been since my half baked effort.

Anyways moving right along........

Back on topic........>>>>>>>>big :oops:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the edits.......:oops:

It's not on......only had it on briefly once......is unplugged well and truly and had been since my half baked effort.

Anyways moving right along........

Back on topic........>>>>>>>>big :oops:
kinda lucky you mentioned it though. Always get your work checked

To the mod, I wasn't promoting self wiring. So please change my description where it says "promoting self wiring". It's slander and defamation to say that is why my post was removed......
I was the one who pointed out that it was done dangerously and wrong. I can self wire as I am licensed to do so. I would never promote someone without an A grade electrical license to wire anything.

Yeah, anyways I had the flame suit on prepared in more ways than one. ;)

Silly thing is I'm at work and assumed that's how I did it......I'd pmsl if I get home and realised it was right all along.

*checks annual leave roster for much needed holiday*

Yeah, anyways I had the flame suit on prepared in more ways than one. ;)

Silly thing is I'm at work and assumed that's how I did it......I'd pmsl if I get home and realised it was right all along.

*checks annual leave roster for much needed holiday*
What you did would still work, it's just wrong and creates a dangerous situation.

Ok, now i have a bit more time to check the threads that i deleted i have returned some but have edited them to remove the quotes that refer to the DIY wiring. id like to publicly apologise to both Snowman and Benc63 for any discomfort I caused by making the "illegal wiring" comments when I gave the reason for deleting. I know that Snowman in particular would never suggest such a thing.

this thread has been way to informative to allow any suggestion of doing your own wiring into it, Hence my over enthusiasm with the delete key.

I thought the term "sparky" was used because builders couldn't spell electrician not a term used by electrical engineers.

No mate, thats not quite right.
We call them sparky's out of respect, and as a recognition of their intelligence, you know "bright spark".
Basically.... a bricky with brains.:lol:

I had a professionally wired cage catch on fire the other day because the sockets were rated at 75w but the wire wasn't. Lucky I was home at the time. So many things to consider. I have a BC to ES adapter in my blue tongue enclosure but it never has a very high wattage globe in it and so never exceeds the normal load of the BC. The do look ugly though and the ES to G10 fittings I bought of ebay all stopped working after a couple of days completely ruining my plans to save on electricity.

I had a professionally wired cage catch on fire the other day because the sockets were rated at 75w but the wire wasn't. Lucky I was home at the time. So many things to consider. I have a BC to ES adapter in my blue tongue enclosure but it never has a very high wattage globe in it and so never exceeds the normal load of the BC. The do look ugly though and the ES to G10 fittings I bought of ebay all stopped working after a couple of days completely ruining my plans to save on electricity.
I bet so many bad stories start off with "I bought _______ on ebay and"

I had a professionally wired cage catch on fire the other day because the sockets were rated at 75w but the wire wasn't.

Find it hard to believe that you had a cable that wasn't rated to 75W.
75/240=.3125
So a 75w globe would draw .3125A

You mean to tell me a professional (an A grade Electrician) wired the cage in less than .5mm wire cable? The standard is .75mm minimum.

Bear in mind a 1mm cable installed in air can have a circuit breaker of 16A

It really doesn't sound like any electrician I know and I've worked in teams of upto 200 sparkies on big jobs.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 59
75/240=.3125

You mean to tell me a professional (an A grade Electrician) wired the cage in less than .5mm wire cable? The standard is .75mm minimum.

It really doesn't sound like any electrician I know and I've worked in teams of upto 200 sparkies on big jobs.

Maybe they used a strand out of the .75 ;)

75/240=.3125

I think that maybe the person may have their terminology wrong and possibly meant to say that the cable wasn't rated for the heat. Still a bit of a stretch for a qualified electrician but more believable than not being able to carry the current. Possibly more likely to be a cheap fitting failing.

I think that maybe the person may have their terminology wrong and possibly meant to say that the cable wasn't rated for the heat.

This ^^.Most enclosures I see are not wired with hight temp stuff.It is only a matter of time before the insulation fails.

It was the wiring that caught fire, not the fitting and yes, it was a bought enclosure, from a shop. I know this doesn't guarantee a sparky wired it but you would hope so.
Unfortunately far too often enclosure builders do not get electricians in to wire them. Not saying this is the case with yours but a possibility and usually it is the connection spots that heat up or possibly melted from the ceramic fitting not the wire itself unless it is so small that it can not carry the current of the heat source which is not likely. Probably best to not blame an electrician for wiring unless you are certain that it was done by an electrician. Glad you caught the problem before it got too bad, good job.

I've bought a lot of good stuff on ebay, reptile related and other, these fittings were obviously not good.
If you do the research you can get good stuff from ebay but there is also so much cheap crap.

Good to see another sparky who knows his aus standards ,a lot of people don't know or realise how bad electrical fires can get, see some shockers

on the topic of electricians - how much (roughly) does it cost to get someone to wire up an enclosure? and can anyone recommend someone in the northern suburbs of melbourne?

on the topic of electricians - how much (roughly) does it cost to get someone to wire up an enclosure? and can anyone recommend someone in the northern suburbs of melbourne?
Depends what you want done. Usually a carton of beer does the trick... It's probably hard to get a sparky to come out for such a small install. Best thing is to have a friend or friend of a friend who is a sparky who can help you out. Failing that, look at the adds in the local paper and ask them how much for what you want done. I certainly would think $50-$100, but $100 is getting a bit high. It should only take 20-30min if its just a few light fittings with cords.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back