Electricians..... settle an arguement please

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
since starting this thread, I have come across 2 aussie reptile suppliers selling the adapters in question.
there is no wiring needed with these, they screw in like a bulb so I'm not sure where all the talk of self wiring started. lol

But like I said before, I'm not re wiring anything. In fact, I'm pulling out all the existing wiring that's in there just in case.

If you do the research you can get good stuff from ebay but there is also so much cheap crap.
That's what shops are for. They can afford the time to work out whats good and the rest gets sold on ebay!

Shops need to ensure their products are good or they wont get repeat business. They have a reputation to protect whereas some internet brands only need to change their name to shake bad past reputations. For the record Rodentfarm does not have an internet site, but i am sure cheap rubbish is available on the internet.
I wasn't arguing with the fact that there is a lot of rubbish on the Internet but if you look around you can find quality goods for a lower price because they have less overheads. There are a lot of good Internet sites around with long lasting reputations like some of our sponsors.

Last edited:
I use a halogen light in a ceramic fitting. Obviously it needs a GU10/ES adaptor as the halogen is GU10 and the fitting is ES. Is this dangerous or whatever? It's only a 35w little halogen...

I use a halogen light in a ceramic fitting. Obviously it needs a GU10/ES adaptor as the halogen is GU10 and the fitting is ES. Is this dangerous or whatever? It's only a 35w little halogen...

IMO, if a BC to ES adapter isn't safe (according to everyone here ) then nor would an ES to GU10. my adapters are ceramic also. They're sold everywhere but if deemed unsafe then they shouldn't be used.
maybe wait until someone returns to this thread to confirm.

99.9% of light fittings are not designed to be used in a enclosed box where it is harder to dissipate heat, this is where the issues of safety and suitability come in. Pick up any lamp in a store and it not only tells you the max wattage lamp to use but also the type of lamp to use. Just because something fits, it's not necessarily right. Put an incandescent bulb into something that was designed to take a compact flouro and see how long it lasts before becoming brittle or melting. All these adapters are probably legal and fine but only if used in the right situation. FYI I'm not an electrician but used to work in a lighting factory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back