Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vincey

Reaction score
Well, there's virtually NO chance I can get a snake now, because my mum has once again changed her mind. Because "snakes are vicious and are vermin".

So I might settle with some beardies. :D What can she say about a few little lizards eh? Anyway, I guess I'll just have to wait another 14 months until I can get a snake. Or I could forge her signature, but that's harsh and I don't think i'll even be considering that option haha :p

Anyway, how big should an enclosure be for 2 beardies and what should I have inside? I plan to have them for a while: do they 'freak out' like snake hatchlings do if the enclosure is too large?

Are crickets expensive too, and how long before they start eating greens?

No more struggling to convince my mother anymore. :(
Sigh.

ANY help would be appreciated, as I am new to herps and have done all my research on pythons and such.

Cheers.

Vince.

Move outter home... get a job... Make yer own rules.

Or, find a new mummy :p

Well, there's virtually NO chance I can get a snake now, because my mum has once again changed her mind. Because "snakes are vicious and are vermin".

So I might settle with some beardies. :D What can she say about a few little lizards eh? Anyway, I guess I'll just have to wait another 14 months until I can get a snake. Or I could forge her signature, but that's harsh and I don't think i'll even be considering that option haha :p

Anyway, how should an enclosure be for 2 beardies? I plan to have them for a while: do they 'freak out' like snake hatchlings do if the enclosure is too large?

No more struggling to convince my mother anymore. :(
Sigh.

I am sorry to hear that, Vince!

I don't know much about Beardies, so no help there, but 14 months isn't that long! You will be having so much fun with your lizards the time will fly by!

yea wait till ya move out i did n now im a happy camper now make sure u get a good misses to take care of you

I'll adopt you..... as long as when you move in every snake you get you get one for me too LMAO...

Beardies are awesome.... and you are better off buying roaches from the herpshop.... they are cheap, get sent out quick and easy and i trust the herpshop wont have any nasties unlike most of the petshops around..... oh and crickets stink and if left in an enclosure can munch on your beardie!!!

If you have any questions Chris1 is probably the best to pm..... she helped me out soooooo much :D

don't even think about forging your Mum's signature. That is fraud & wrong. I totally agree with Slimy6y. Move out, get a job and then you can have whatever you want. Or like you said, whats 14 months compared to years of your life ahead of you. Its not that big a deal. Respect your Mum like you'd expect ppl to respect you.

Definitely forge your mom's signature, there's no other way!

lol
i moved out.....got my snakes....then moved back home...they came with me ;)
But mum and dad loved them so was an easy transition :p

yeah my mum hated was scared of snakes and freaked out but know loves them.Take her to a pet shop and get her to handle one maybe she'll change her mind i.Thats what i did.

My mum wouldn't let me have a snake. I put the thought out of mind but now i have my own place & a husband who's just as keen, so in the end all worked out well. :D

lol forge it!!!!!!!!!1 hahahahahahaha

.... then be sure to thaw out all the frozen dead feeder rats in your mums mugs and fancy dining bowls, she will thank you for it and buy you many many wonderful presents!

then make sure you let your snake into your mums bed at least twice a week while shes in it asleep- as snakes require body warmth, this is very very important.

beardy stuff:
beardies love room, they wont freak out at all, water in a SHALLOW dish as far away from the heat source as possible. dont bother with tall branches as they wont use them, they are rock dwellers! and feed them grated carrot (promotes colour) and vegies with a little apple juice on top- throw on some freshly be-headed meal worms to attract the little buggers. its best to behead mealies seconds befoe feeding so they still wriggle. you behead them because very rarely in cooler conditions they can eat their way out of your beardies stomache lining if they are intact, because they have a very resilient outer shel (exo skeleton) that is very resistant to stomache digestion fluids! thats about it! their easy to handle and very personable one of the best lizards available!

oh and no matter what people may tell you dont keep them on any sort of fine sand, use courser stuff! ive treated 100's of eye infections and rear blockages from caked desert sand, it wont happen every time, but why take the risk man, you know?

Last edited:
What would you guys say is the smallest enclosure you could keep them in, without them feeling cramped up?

beardy stuff:
beardies love room, they wont freak out at all, water in a SHALLOW dish as far away from the heat source as possible. dont bother with tall branches as they wont use them, they are rock dwellers! and feed them grated carrot (promotes colour) and vegies with a little apple juice on top- throw on some freshly be-headed meal worms to attract the little buggers. its best to behead mealies seconds befoe feeding so they still wriggle. you behead them because very rarely in cooler conditions they can eat their way out of your beardies stomache lining if they are intact, because they have a very resilient outer shel (exo skeleton) that is very resistant to stomache digestion fluids! thats about it! their easy to handle and very personable one of the best lizards available!

oh and no matter what people may tell you dont keep them on any sort of fine sand, use courser stuff! ive treated 100's of eye infections and rear blockages from caked desert sand, it wont happen every time, but why take the risk man, you know?

Sorry mate kinda disagree with some of those things.... first one..... where did u hear beardies wont use branches???? i can never get dodge off his!!!....

second i would NEVER feed dodge mealies cos i dont want to ever run the risk of giving him someting that would make him sick..... also i heard carrot was to be kept at a minimum cos of vitamin A content is that right??? i find they really like butternut pumpkin.... and dont feed them ice berg lettuce, go for the asian salad mix from coles or woolies.....

and i wouldnt use sand at all, tiles are much easier to clean and hold the heat alot better and there is NO chance of digestion, again i wouldnt want anything to happen to my baby just in case..... and odnt forgot to dust with calicum powder and multivitamins regularly.....

I think 4ft would be best for an adult, and doge is quite happy in his 2ft while hes a baby and waits for his dad to finish his mansion 4ft one lol

Always remember "forgiveness is easier to ask for than permission"

I need to be 18 to get a snake in WA.

So permission is the only way. Unless i smuggle one and then ask forgiveness haha :D

don't even think about forging your Mum's signature. That is fraud & wrong. I totally agree with Slimy6y. Move out, get a job and then you can have whatever you want. Or like you said, whats 14 months compared to years of your life ahead of you. Its not that big a deal. Respect your Mum like you'd expect ppl to respect you.

It was a joke, mysnakesau. I'm not a complete imbecile.

Where did this "its not a big deal, respect your mum..." stuff come from?

I clearly mentioned that I didn't like the fact she changed her mind several times, even after applying for the license. I never said it was a huge deal. This was basically just a thread to ask about beardies and such. It's just that some people knew I might've been getting a snake and would be like "what the.." if I came out asking questions about how to keep beardies etc.

Anyway.-- anybody else got ideas?

3 foot tank, not sand, behead worms, woodies. Anything else?

I'll adopt you..... as long as when you move in every snake you get you get one for me too LMAO...

Beardies are awesome.... and you are better off buying roaches from the herpshop.... they are cheap, get sent out quick and easy and i trust the herpshop wont have any nasties unlike most of the petshops around..... oh and crickets stink and if left in an enclosure can munch on your beardie!!!

If you have any questions Chris1 is probably the best to pm..... she helped me out soooooo much :D

DEAL!!

haha :D wouldn't be too hard. Free accomodation for a while for 1 snake? Just get you a stimmie. Nice 'n cheap :p

i still advise not worms..... also u need calicium and multivitamin powder.... also beardies usually dont drink out of a bowl but have it there anyway cos dodge loves his and its good for shedding etc so u will need a spray bottle and mist them 2-3 times a day......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back