Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
if you do feed him mealies use the freshly shed ones, theyre white and wont impact him....dont bother be heading them, they get chewed up pretty well,...

and theyre not exactly desert animals, so they do need watering. ;)

and crickets in little tubs from the petshops are expensive, u can order them in bulk online as well.
for young dragons if ur getting a baby the insects should fit within the space between the beardys eyes to avoid problems.

tiles are best fro babies, you can switch to washed play sand from bunnings (cheap) when theyre older.

what species of beardies are you talking bout chris, saying they arnt desert species?

easterns arent, and centrals need water. that was my point, they do need water.

we arnt talking eastern or centrals, vince will be getting western beardies, i wouldnt spray them daily, they need it dry, i would privide them with a waterdish at all time but towards the cool end so you dont have humidity issues, also westerns are about the size of pygmy beardies

oops, missed that, i dont even know what westerns are,...sorry!!

they are still found in arid areas, i dont really see them need for daily misting, as long as they have a waterdish they will be fine, i have never even misted my easterns

my centrals wont touch their water bowl, they get a bath and a shower daily, watery juice every 5 days and still wanna be misted all the time,....i guess its what theyre used to then,...

i mist all my dragons, but then again i only have spinipes (angle heads, rainforrest species), and water dragons. When ive had beardies in the past, ive never misted- who knows? maybe i should have?

After a long look through the posts here I have come to the conclusion you should buy a Scrubbie ... and feed your mom to it ... :p:p:p

Last edited:
Well, there's virtually NO chance I can get a snake now, because my mum has once again changed her mind. Because "snakes are vicious and are vermin".

So I might settle with some beardies. :D What can she say about a few little lizards eh? Anyway, I guess I'll just have to wait another 14 months until I can get a snake. Or I could forge her signature, but that's harsh and I don't think i'll even be considering that option haha :p

Anyway, how big should an enclosure be for 2 beardies and what should I have inside? I plan to have them for a while: do they 'freak out' like snake hatchlings do if the enclosure is too large?

Are crickets expensive too, and how long before they start eating greens?

No more struggling to convince my mother anymore. :(
Sigh.

ANY help would be appreciated, as I am new to herps and have done all my research on pythons and such.

Cheers.

Vince.

Don't give up on your passion Vince- I'm lucky to be from a family who's father was huge into reptiles. My boyfriend however- his parents continually told him to get rid of them. He didn't of course. If he had given up his passion for keeping i doubt he would be the same adorable soul that he is now.
Mum's usually come around eventually. Get some geckoes- there always cute and most girls find them adroable.
My Mum came around to herps once we had eggs, she kept the runt of the clutch and now that runt is her snake and Mum now encourages us to get mates for all of our single animals.

Don't give up Vince,

Simone.

It's hard when you have a mother like mine. Constantly changing minds and such. So damned annoying.

i dont even live with mum and she was horrified when i said id bought a snake and was waiting for his arrival, she called me every day to tell me i was an idiot and i'd regret it.
now days when i see mum she tells me i have to bring Loki, picks him up and wont let him go till i'm ready to take him home,...

:( I wish my mum was like that.

My mum won't even consider LOOKING at them at a Reptile Park when I asked her to come.

if she met a nice one she'd probably come round.

my brother and i started hassling mum fro a diamond python when i was 8 and she flatly refused......then all those years later she loves em,...what a waste of years!!

dont worry, enjoy ur lizards in the meantime, theyre heaps of fun, and can get whatever u want once you've moved out. :)

Misting isnt an issue so long as you have adequate ventilation, and they will lick droplets off the enclosure walls and furniture. What isnt used by the dragons will evaporate anyway. Pogona minor minor are fairly widespread, but id expect the majority of animals available to be wild caught from the Swan Coastal Plain or decendants of animals caught there. Ive always fed them woodies or crickets, hell of alot more interesting watching them chase them around anyway. They dont seem to be as into the greens as alot of the larger more Eastern species, but will still take some finely chopped greens and other vegies.
Dehydration is an issue with some hatchlings, so id be misting daily. Still supply a water bowl, always a good idea regardless of whether or not you see them use it.

They do climb, ive found beardies up to six foot off the ground in dead trees and often see them basking on the tops of coastal shrubs. Ive always supplied an elevated basking position for them that they regularly use. I dont know where the idea they are rock dwellers came from, but its incorrect.
Youll need a UV lamp of some description, be it fluros, compacts etc. A basking area that gets to between 35 and 40 degrees at one end, but make sure that you have a reasonable gradient so they can avoid the heat if necessary.

You could easily keep 3-4 in a 3 foot enclosure.

Jordan

Thanks Jordan :)

Would it be better that I get 2 hatchies or 2 juvies or adults-- or what???

I'd prefer younger ones. Is there any significantly extra care needed for hatchies?

Cheers.

they will bite eachothers tails off occassionally! just get one..... or buy an established adult pair that are already housed together

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back