Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No wait i found another
59075836.img.jpg

No more pics but a funny story though. I bought the rat for the water python and put it in the snakes tank, i came back about two hours later looked in, and the little fella was snuggled up alseep in the snakes coils. The two of them lived like that for about two weeks before my sister decided that the rat was too cute to feed to the snake and decided to adopt it.

We kept nelson as a pet until about a week ago, he was just like a puppy!

I used to have a pet rat called Basil, he was awesome! They are so smart :)

We kept nelson as a pet until about a week ago, he was just like a puppy![/quote]

Cmon, dont keep us in suspence.........what happened to Nelson?

I'm with serpenttongue, great way to risk giving your snake a slow and painful death or severe injry!

I've seen a water python at sydney expo which had a rat left in with it over night by a previous owner, the snake had chunks out of it from head to tail, literaly chunks missing all over. Never underestimate what a live rat can do to your python waruikazi. A friend of mine ridiculed me when i warned him of this, some months later his young diamond python had it's head bitten off at the neck. No exageration, completely bitten off. He'd been doing it for a cpl yrs without incident before that.
I can understand how ppl find it hard to believe that a rat can overpower a python, but if the python isn't hungry it can and does happen.

This is what can happen when live rats are put in and left with snakes. The picture was taken a year after it was chewed. Apparently this python was also wild caught and kept by unlicensed people.

Cheers, Kris.

for my first snake and first time ever feeding a snake i did live and the mouse jumped onto my coastals head (which i still have today :)) and it tried to bite it but i grabed the more out qyuickly and out of anger i threw it against the concrete floor :( im againd animal cruelty all together but i was caught up in the moment

You should never do something like that to an animal no matter how angry you are, period. It was your fault it tried to bite the Carpet, it thought it was going to die. Getting caught in the moment is no excuse, please remember that.

Dicco said:
You should never do something like that to an animal no matter how angry you are, period. It was your fault it tried to bite the Carpet, it thought it was going to die. Getting caught in the moment is no excuse, please remember that.

In reallity whats the difference between this and smacking its head on a brick before feeding ?It would have been a quick death either way .

That's what i was thinking dobermanmick. When i did work experience at Taronga, the three guys each had a different technique for killing the mice. One held the mouse firmly in his hand then flicked the mouse once, or twice if neccesary, on the head. Another held the mouse in the same way, but hit the mouse's head against the corner of the bench, and the other simply threw the mice into the wall just above the bench. All three methods might sound a little cruel, but all 3 methods resulted in a swift death, and i'm sure if the mice had a choice, they would prefer that, rather then simply being thrown into a cage with a Taipan or Carpet Python 8)

Im with junglemad.. lets have more pics of the ladies of APS rather than chewed snakes and talk of squishing mice.. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back