Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Legalisation of Exotics

• Exotics should be Legal with Quarrantine and a change of system is required

Votes: 57 58.2%
  • Exotics should remain illegal and the current system works

Votes: 41 41.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

bulletproofkid

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hello, have created a poll on whether legalisation of exotics is considered a good or bad move in the Australian community. I would really appreciate it if we could have only constructive comments and answers to the poll. This is for a school report and is relatively urgent so it would be great for anyones opinion. Please no negative comments :)

Do a search you will find all the answers you need, instead of just the same old people bickering again?

Like that'll happen, it hasn't managed to happen int the past so why now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Being the country with arguably the most popular species in demand by international herpetologists, we needn't look beyond our borders for our herpetocultural satisfaction. We are very lucky and should focus more on our own elusive species (i.e such as the Oenpelli python) for breeding and distribution in the reptile trade, rather than import. The dangers inherent in importing international species are the blight of other nations, which we should not risk unnecessarily here in our insular nation. The U.S are already trying to ban or restrict their trade in pythons, due to the feral population of Burmese pythons that are out of control in the Florida Everglades. With diseases such as OPMV and IBD, which can have lengthy periods of dormancy before any symptoms are noticed, it is a great risk to allow reptiles in and out of the country, regardless of quarantine. Besides, with states like Tasmania banning the importation of pythons for private keeping and W.A banning the importation of any reptiles for keeping, we are a very long way off ever importing reptiles internationally! Enjoy your reptiles Australia :D

I don't believe so many people have voted for "and the current system works " :lol:

I have spent many years living overseas where exotic reptiles are allowed with little or no problems , it amazes me how our Government doesnt trust the Australian People to act responsibly enough to keep exotic reptiles, I really do believe that Australian Herpetologists are really missing out on discovering wonderful things in the reptile world .
I think a lot of the problems stem down to the invasion of the cane toad, people who know their animals will be aware that a chamelean escaping, or being released into the wild is'nt going to take over Australia , as there hard enough to get breeding as it is.
maybe each species should be studied individually i.e the multiplying caperbillities and a decision made on each seperate reptile.
After all people can import cats and look at the damage they cause to our wildlife .

The current system doesn't really seem to work as aussie reptile keepers want to keep other species and boas etc are already living here, just being kept secret. I think the Australian Government should make exotics class 2, and have tougher rules with them, but should trust Australian Reptile Lovers to act responsibly with exotics, GIVE US TRUST PEOPLE!!!

The current system doesn't really seem to work as aussie reptile keepers want to keep other species and boas etc are already living here, just being kept secret. I think the Australian Government should make exotics class 2, and have tougher rules with them, but should trust Australian Reptile Lovers to act responsibly with exotics, GIVE US TRUST PEOPLE!!!

Agreed, i have only just recently joined the herp comunity in Aus and i have already seen several illegal species for sale by some people that prolly arent responsible enough to really keep them. IMO many of the large constrictors are here and could quite easily pose a big risk to native spieces. If these species were legaly controlled then systems could be put in place to ensure that Alien species dont become a feral problem.

However the scene in England is not really ideal either. When buying reptiles from some suplliers, Some of the time no information is available at all! with some reptiles and amphibians being sold with made up common names and not anything more. It could be quite worrieng to tip an agressive snake out of a bag and before even seeing it guessing what spieces it is and even if it is venomous or not. This was the result of pretty much uncontrolled reptile imports and was also far from ideal.

I think the Aussie government needs to be a little more realistic and less blinkered in this and may other isssues, it just seems somtime they take the approach of "just make it illegal" and that will fix the problem. Quite a lot of the time this attitude does not help at all..

Hillbilly

There is little if any chance of someone buying a venomous snake by 'accident' in the UK as they are covered by the Dangerous Wild Animals Act. You could of course buy one illegally in the same way as you could here but if you bought a snake from a shop and didn't know the species it would be foolish at the very least.

truthfully ...and this is not aimed at being nasty to anyone BUT
With the amount of HELP MY SNAKES HAVE ESCAPED that happens on APS alone ..I am glad the laws are the way they are ...untill you can knock out the irresponsible permit holders ,who think their reptiles are like puppy dogs or pussy cats ,dont change a thing ...
And if they do by chance ,change the exotic law ...its should be the toughest permit to get and the penalties for breaking the law be very direct and jail term is incurred no more paying off the system , no ifs or buts about it ...

While I see what you are saying what must be remembered is that currently there are NO regulations covering exotic reptiles other than them being illegal. If anyone thinks that little barrier for one second has stopped or even slowed the proliferation of exotics in this country is naive at best.

There is little if any chance of someone buying a venomous snake by 'accident' in the UK as they are covered by the Dangerous Wild Animals Act. You could of course buy one illegally in the same way as you could here but if you bought a snake from a shop and didn't know the species it would be foolish at the very least.

I'm sorry my friend but i was in the industry in England for quite some years. And it has happened several times through the years. Their controls are not very good at all with imports not being checked very often and alot of stuff being wild caught.

If not declared as a dangerous animal they can pass through the whole system unnoticed. Joe blogs pet shop can buy a wild caught "asian brown leaf snake" sight unseen with no real idea of what it could be until it is tipped out of the bag.

That was my point Boa ...it is happening as with most illegal things in Australia (alot of people are still eating those funny cookies ) But my point was if it was to be made legal ..then that opens the flood gates for all ..and so only inhancing the chances of stuff ups and what nots ....That was why I said to have strict permit laws ..and heavy penalties for the wrong doers ....we will never squash any illegal activity outright ...but hope we can atleast guide the average law keeper to stay on the straight and narrow ...
alot of people think its their right to own animals ....its not ...its a privilege and should be treated that way ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back