Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Legalisation of Exotics

• Exotics should be Legal with Quarrantine and a change of system is required

Votes: 57 58.2%
  • Exotics should remain illegal and the current system works

Votes: 41 41.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with Hillbillies comments and also Boa's as all my snake keepeing was in the UK for over 30 years and although no licence was required i never came across an irrisponsible seller of snakes or a dangerous snake for that matter (not including the large Boas and Pythons of course).
All ileagle venomous snake keeping was driven underground and very easy to obtain if you really wanted one.
If its out in the open its far more easy to control, people wouldnt be too scared to tell the authorities that there exotic snake has escaped if need be .

i think that there are tons of people just waiting to cross breed everythin with anything, just to hav the next BIG seller. All these lavender striped ghost form blah blah snakes are just dumb. Once the governemnet lets people bring in exotics we will be using the carpet python like the ball pyton has been used in america.
NO the the introduction of exotics
WHATS WRONG WITH NATIVES>>????

This has to be one of the weirdest posts I have ever read on here and that really is saying something :lol:
I think you will find that exotics were introduced many many years ago and what do exotics have to do with producing carpet pythons like Ball pythons ? Sorry but the whole post made no sense.

i think that there are tons of people just waiting to cross breed everythin with anything, just to hav the next BIG seller. All these lavender striped ghost form blah blah snakes are just dumb. Once the governemnet lets people bring in exotics we will be using the carpet python like the ball pyton has been used in america.
NO the the introduction of exotics
WHATS WRONG WITH NATIVES>>????

Given that exotics are being kept and most people think that ignoring that fact is a not good idea, banning appears to not be working as a deterrent, then regulation is a reasonable alternative. What, then, should an exotic regulation regime look like? Here are my ideas.
Exotic regulation should be covered by national laws rather than state laws.
Retain the ban on smuggling and increase the penalties.
Legitimise imports with whatever quarantine regime is recommended by herpetology/veterinary best practice.
Declare an amnesty on existing exotics so that they can be legally registered.
Retain a DNA sample of each registered exotic (cost to be covered by exotic licence fee) so that escapees and any progeny, if caught, could be traced back to the registered owner who would be heavily penalised.
Increase the penalties for keeping unregistered exotics to the point where the risk is seriously not worth it.
Enforce annual inspections of exotics and their enclosures (again, cost to be covered by exotic licence fee).
Have separate licensing requirements for exotic keepers and breeders, with stricter enclosure security and record keeping requirements for breeders.
Only allow people with an exotic keepers licence to have desexed exotics, while only registered exotic breeders would be allowed to keep fertile exotics.

EXOTICS ..once that door opens we can be dealing with anything from reptiles ,spiders ,furry animals the list could go on and on ...allow one lot in say reptiles and you will get people protesting about being fair for all exotic lovers ...I truely think its a bad idea ..even though I myself would love to own a few ...the BIG PICTURE is scary ...

EXOTICS ..once that door opens we can be dealing with anything from reptiles ,spiders ,furry animals the list could go on and on ...allow one lot in say reptiles and you will get people protesting about being fair for all exotic lovers ...I truely think its a bad idea ..even though I myself would love to own a few ...the BIG PICTURE is scary ...

yer i do hafe to agree with you 100% there are so many exotic animal the if i had the (legal) chance to own i would

and its not just the reptile world that is afected but this problem of exotic animals
like exotic rats and cats

This has to be one of the weirdest posts I have ever read on here and that really is saying something :lol:
I think you will find that exotics were introduced many many years ago and what do exotics have to do with producing carpet pythons like Ball pythons ? Sorry but the whole post made no sense. -- BOA

How does it not make sense. In america they like to breed ball pythons with everything. coming up with weird colour patterns and jacking up the prices of balls because they are coloured differnetly. What i am sayin is if we open the doors up people will think it'd be fun to breed a carpet with a burmese, a scrubby with a retic. this cycle will probably continue until we have a jungle python looking like a stimson. Keep out the exotics unless they are for Zoo purposes!

Maybe a new poll with 2 options:

1. Should we ban these constant same old Exotic threads
2. Should we ban these constant same old Exotic threads

So you are talking about the Ball Python morphs ? You do realise they are pure Ball Pythons that are selectively bred to produce all the different variants ? Most of the founding animals originate from a wild caught animal and are bred with a different morph to produce the coloured animals you mention.
Of course there are a few people crossing them with other species but it is incredibly rare as it is here. Making them legal wont promote or increase it happening, there are many 1000's of them here now so if people want to do it they will and undoubtedly have already.
Your earlier posts doesn't make sense because you are saying Ball Python morphs originate through hybridisation which of course is untrue.

How does it not make sense. In america they like to breed ball pythons with everything. coming up with weird colour patterns and jacking up the prices of balls because they are coloured differnetly. What i am sayin is if we open the doors up people will think it'd be fun to breed a carpet with a burmese, a scrubby with a retic. this cycle will probably continue until we have a jungle python looking like a stimson. Keep out the exotics unless they are for Zoo purposes!

I think the relevant authorities need to concentrate on a major overhaul of the current licensing sytems & laws regarding keeping native reptiles before they ever consider legal importation of exotic reptiles. A good start would probably be having the same rules & regulations for each state.

I also think aussie keepers need to learn how to lock enclosures before we worry about keeping legal exotics.:lol:

Last edited:
Maybe a new poll with 2 options:

1. Should we ban these constant same old Exotic threads
2. Should we ban these constant same old Exotic threads

I'll go option 2, just because option 1 was taken.....on a serious note, has anyone noticed that some people are crossing Diamonds and Coastals, and selling them as pure Diamonds..:shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back