Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ashley_morris22

Reaction score
Fierce Snake or Inland Taipan (Oxyuranus microlepidotus ), Australia. The most toxic venom of any snake. Maximum yield recorded (for one bite) is 110mg. That would probably be enough to kill over 100 people or 250,000 mice. These rare snakes are virtually unknown in collections outside of Australia.

are they that rare in collections?

This is from a collection a breeder has that a few members from here had recently attended.

MVC_905F.jpg

Not only are they the deadliest in the world, they look damn fast! I think you'd have to really be into them to keep one :lol: That's probably the main reason they are rare in peoples collections :lol: - PASS :wink:

A very beautiful, intelligent and well mannered snake. The "fierce" label is not one they deserve

You don't often seem them at the $250 mark. The few that have come up on the Herp Trader have sold for at least that much and quite quickly.

They might be the most venemous snake in the world but they hardly qualify and the deadlies as very few deaths have been recorded. In Australia it is probably a serpent like the King Brown that is responsible for the most deaths. World wide there are species in India that claim thousands of lives every year.

Moosenoose, hate to dissapoint you but your picture is not a Fierce Snake, but is actually a Coastal Taipan. I am currently purchasing a female Fierce Snake and its costing me $500, which is about the average price people have been charging the last couple of years.

Herptrader, I don't think there is even one recorded death to the Fierce Snake due to the isolated region they live in away from humans. As for the King Brown, it hasn't caused many deaths either. The Eastern Brown(worlds 2nd deadliest snake) now causes most of the snake deaths in Australia as its numbers appear to be increasing. In the old days it was mainly the old Tiger Snake that caused most of the deaths, however these snakes are starting to become very thin in numbers.

I have read in quite a few books that the fierce is the most deadly snake in the world, although it is a very shy snake and will not anger up anywhere near as much as the coastal. whatever is true, it will not be included in my collection 8)

The poor King gets all the bad press because most people who see a large eastern wont believe that its not a King. Well, on this side of the fence anyway.

Theres always confusion when talking about which is the worlds deadliest snake due to peoples interputation of the word deadly. Deadly refers to poisons or venoms. Dangerous refers to causing harm of any sort.

So realising this you can put snakes into 3 catorgories.

The worlds deadliest(venomous) snake. No doubt about it. The Fierce Snake

The worlds most dangerous snake(the snake you have the least chance of surviving from without antivenom. Simple again. The Coastal Taipan with just about 100% death rate prior to antivenom.

The snake that causes the most human deaths. This is caused due to the fact they are found in large numbers besides large numbers of humans not wearing shoes or protective pants(ie Asia) . You have 3 candidates here. Saw Scaled Viper, Russels Pit Viper or the Common Cobra. These 3 species alone bite nearly a million people a year in Asia causing tens of thousands of deaths every year.

Hope this explains it a little better.

bigguy said:
Moosenoose, hate to dissapoint you but your picture is not a Fierce Snake, but is actually a Coastal Taipan. I am currently purchasing a female Fierce Snake and its costing me $500, which is about the average price people have been charging the last couple of years.

:lol: Oh dear :oops: Looks like some egg on my face for me today :lol: :lol: Hee hee.

Not disappointed Bob old buddy :lol: I'm just a little more wiser :lol: :wink:

Moosenoose, its a nice Taipan though. Tell me, was the picture taken at Roys place.

bigguy said:
Moosenoose, its a nice Taipan though. Tell me, was the picture taken at Roys place.

It was indeed!

ps: I've seen some pictures of inlands with blackheads on them also (is this correct?) Here was a quick one I found just having a surf around.

fierce1.jpg

Yeah that pic is from roys house.

If you are talking deadly snakes (venom) is the inland no.1 in the world and coastal taipan no.2??

Sw, no. It goes Fierce Snake as no 1. Eastern Brown at no 2. and Coastal Taipan at no 3. Then the Tigers snakes for the next few places.

i just sold some inlands for $1000 a pair, adult female, sub male. and they went very fast with alot of interest... i suggest this is a minimum price for such animals. I have heard a few people over the last year or so say they are worth $250... I dont know when or where they sold for this. I have seen a few for the $500-600 mark each. They are not for sale very often, and from my knowledge there has probably been around 4 or 5 advertised in the last 12 months not including mine. More than this have been sold, but usually spoken for well in advance.

Yes, "they", demand 'a great deal of respect'; but as my mate said when one of my carpets slammed him while reaching in a snake - bin; "my bloody Tiapans would never do that". Having said that its not a game keeping them, thats for sure.

Moosenoose, now thats a fierce snake. You don't see too many as nice as that one. I would say thats a SA specimen. They are susposed to be far more yellower in SA than the Qld specimens.

i must say both pics moose are nice. i am a big fan of taipans, and in the future i would love to be able to keep some but thats many years away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back