Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
herptrader said:
You don't often seem them at the $250 mark. The few that have come up on the Herp Trader have sold for at least that much and quite quickly.

Herp Trader #1 informs me that a trio sold last year for $1740 in 4 days and an individual for $450. The second sold on the day it was listed ;-)

What a "nightmare", one would have to be careful, who you sold one to.............are they capable?, sain?........'big' responsiblity', how would you feel?

They are certainly an amazing snake and one that comands respect, I would love to be able to have a pair, but the missus won't allow vens, baby on the way, and doesn't want to risk anything by having them.

I was out at Dubbo on the weekend where my mother-in-laws blind boyfreind told me about how they had this massive 7ft mulga snake(he knew this because his mate shot it :evil: but being blind on a farm doesn't help). While I was out herping around the place as you do, I came across it's remians. A small 4ft max eastern brown. As sad as it is for them to kill them I understand, they are 50k's from Dubbo and the only person that will help will only shoot them. Unfortunately life comes first and the m-in-laws better half is blind and has just missed being bitten on more then one occassion. Thank god they are going back to NZ.

bigguy said:
Herptrader, I don't think there is even one recorded death to the Fierce Snake due to the isolated region they live in away from humans. As for the King Brown, it hasn't caused many deaths either. The Eastern Brown(worlds 2nd deadliest snake) now causes most of the snake deaths in Australia as its numbers appear to be increasing. In the old days it was mainly the old Tiger Snake that caused most of the deaths, however these snakes are starting to become very thin in numbers.

I did think the number was zero but I was not sure. I think I am remembering that excellent doco that was half hosted by Bredl. I had similar hazy memory on the Brown snake... which is why I worded my comments the way I did.

It is a sad story on the tigers. They are another beautiful elapid. I remember a presentation by Tim Nias at one of the VHS meetings ages back talking about how he estimated the numbers of venemous snakes had halved evey 10 years since the begining of last century based on snake bite statistics. To me this is a frightening statistic.

I ride home from work on a daily basis through prime snake country. Being Melbourne it is seasonal but in 5 years I have only seen 4 herps excluding frogs. This includes a tiger snake in Jells park. It is good to know that they are there but sad that they are now so few.

bigguy said:
Saw Scaled Viper, Russels Pit Viper or the Common Cobra. These 3 species alone bite nearly a million people a year in Asia causing tens of thousands of deaths every year.

The Common Cobra reportedly is responsible for more than 15,000 deaths per annum in India alone.....

bigguy said:
The worlds most dangerous snake(the snake you have the least chance of surviving from without antivenom. Simple again. The Coastal Taipan with just about 100% death rate prior to antivenom.

The King Cobra also has that title. Because they inject such a massive amount of venom in each bite (average venom yield is 421 mg), most people die before they get to the antivenom. Those that get to it usually die anyway because by then the venom has done so much damage.

:p

Hix

Hix, there have been many people who have survived the King Cobras bite without antivenom. Just a few weeks back on Foxtell there was a good show on these snakes. They interviewed a man who had been bitten on the face by one and he had survived without antivenom. Mind you his face was a mess.

Do you keep coastals bigguy? I can watch coastals for ages when I see them in a zoo. They seems more aware than most snakes. I don't know if you could call it more intelligent but they just seem to have a better idea of whats going on.

I also saw the king cobra doco. It was interesting at the end when the cobra was staring at mark o'shea. Unless it was just trying to fina a way out of the enclosure :) Awesome sankes though.

coastal taipans are very alert snakes, they move with such precision if you know what i mean. they are stunning snakes. also i believe the deadliest snake is the one that just bit you if you are that unfortunate for that to happen.

Linus, yes I have 4. One very old male who you can do anything with , and 3 young females ranging from 6 to just over 7 ft long. They move with incredible speed when they want to so you always have to be on guard when working with these snakes.

if you dont mind me asking bob would we be able to see a couple of pics of them if you have any? im so interested in them they are one of my fav reptiles

Thanks bigguy,

so do you get them out often or are they just left and fed in the enclosures most of the time. Would you consider them to be more intelligent or more "self aware" than other snakes?

Would love to see some photos too.

thanks heaps Bob. the first one tickles my fancy the most but they are all nice. in regards to the age of taipans how long do they live? as fang is 20 and roy pails has a 21yr old female and 23yr old male so they have a long life span. were these shots taken with the cage open or closes?

Ricko, taken with open doors. Just lifed off their hide boxes and snapped away.

As for ages, Taipans rarely get of 15 years of age. Anything over that is very geriatric indeed.

you have any luck with them this season just gone or are you waiting til next season? do you keep inlands at all?

Those young ones are nice :) . They look a bit darker than most other taipans (or photosof taipans) I've seen.

Ricko, the 7ft+ girl dropped 20 slugs nearly 2 months ago, and dropped 2 more slugs just yesterday, so not looking good again. The other girl in the pic laid 18 just over a month ago and I am hoping she will double clutch. The 3rd girl laid 14, but these went off at 4 weeks into the incubation. Again I am hoping she also will double clutch.

As for Inlands, yes I have 4 of these also with another coming in a few weeks.

Linus, this colour phase is what we call the Cairns Reds. Very pretty indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back