Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimo77

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I am getting a Python for the first time! :) I am just wondering what types would you guys recommend? Could I have a spotted? At my local reptile store they said super striped pythons are very placid and are good for starters? I do like the look of them but they must be called something else because i cant find anything on them?

More research is needed on lots of levels , our first was a stimsons as it was for our 8yr old daughter (she did the reading and worked out the best /most sensible snake to suit her ) . We now have many snakes and lizzards as it is a very interesting hobby ,so get your first one sorted and start saving

Good luck

1st snake...Stimsons every time....then the addiction begins:lol:

My first snake was a Spotted and i couldn't have been happier. Make sure you do a lot of research though because you need all the info you can get when owning snakes :)

Hi Jimo,

Congrats on deciding to get your first python. :D

Have you handled any Spotteds or other pythons yet? I always think it's a good idea to have a hold of an adult, see what they are like fully grown, the size of the enclosure you will need, do you have the room etc.

But it all depends on what you WANT. If you want a spotted python, then do some research, find a breeder and hopefully get one, don't forget you'll need your wildlife licence first.

A really good piece to read (I've put the link below) is from Doc Roc of Southern Cross Reptiles, road testing pythons, a very helpful article written by a very experienced keeper on choosing a python due to size, temperament, etc.

http://www.southernxreptiles.com/Article PDFs/road_testing_lr.pdf

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies! :) I went to handle some pythons today but they just fed them so I'm going back on Wednesday :) I am doing a lot of research and I'm looking for a nice 4 ft enclosure on gumtree. Thinking of either a Stimsons or a Spotted after what you guys have suggested :)

That's great, a Stimsons was my second choice (I just wanted a slightly bigger snake) and you'll find lots of threads on here about them if you want to search. Lovely snakes, so are Spotteds. You sound very organised, which is good, I remember having my enclosure for a week trying to get the temperatures right before I got my MD. :D

my first snake i bought a week ago and i couldn't be happier. its a jungle python male yearling 14mths old. he had no handeling but within the week i have had hjim out every day and now he sits on my hand with no problems. there are a lot off little things u can do to tame them easily i was very luck to have a mate that helped me with him.

What do they look like? They're not real, the name at least

I believe that "super striped" is just a name given by the breeders of this line, just like peppered MD's, and tiger striped jungles etc, it would likely be a striped coastal carpet python... Correct me if I'm wrong guys???

My first snake was a stimmy (though we already had a bredli before we got the stimson). My stimson is roughly a year and a half old, she is only 40-45cm at the moment so she has got some growing to do. i got my first bite from her on monday, I didn't feel a thing even though she sent her jaws past my knuckle. She is such a placid snake.

I suggest a stimsons because I believe they look cooler (others may disagree) my favourite locality is the wheatbelt.

That's great, a Stimsons was my second choice (I just wanted a slightly bigger snake) and you'll find lots of threads on here about them if you want to search. Lovely snakes, so are Spotteds. You sound very organised, which is good, I remember having my enclosure for a week trying to get the temperatures right before I got my MD. :D

Hey snapped, not trying to upset you or anyone . but spotteds (maculosa) generally grow a bit larger than stimmy's. Good point to get the environment right first, and as to the 4 ft enclosure.... if your planning on Anteresia, it will be a long way off (if ever), needing that. Save your money and just set up a click clack. I don't even have my adult mac's in 4 ft enclosures. They do well in 900 x 600 x 500H.

Hey snapped, not trying to upset you or anyone . but spotteds (maculosa) generally grow a bit larger than stimmy's. Good point to get the environment right first, and as to the 4 ft enclosure.... if your planning on Anteresia, it will be a long way off (if ever), needing that. Save your money and just set up a click clack. I don't even have my adult mac's in 4 ft enclosures. They do well in 900 x 600 x 500H.

No, you didn't upset me...I should have been a bit more clear, when I said bigger, I ended up with a Murray Darling. :D

At my local reptile store they said super striped pythons are very placid and are good for starters

This was most likely told to you by the pet store as they have some snakes labelled as that for an exorbitant price and want you to buy one...

1st snake...Stimsons every time....then the addiction begins:lol:

OMG SOOOO true! Started with a stimi, a few pythons and lizards later i end up with a BHP. But by far the stimson will always be my fave :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back