Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So you dont drive a car at all.? Or ever go for a ride in a car.??? Every time you venture on to the roads your taking quite a large life threatening risk.

funny you mention that cuz i dont im a great believer in the power of legs.

however i do realise the neccesity of being able to drive however i can see no good or beneficial reason to "free handle" epapids

I would pay money to watch some one free handle a brown or a tiapan like you would a python.

i love the look on there face just as they realise they just got nailed its gold

I would pay money to watch some one free handle a brown or a tiapan like you would a python.

I guess I'll be the first to start the photos rolling..

brown1-2.jpg

I want a flock of raging do-gooders to start going wild now..don't let me down.

its always funny when my super "tough" mates dont have the guts to handle a 30 cm long jungle python cuz it might bite them.

then its even funnyer when they do have the guts to grab him but make a fuss when he bites.

so id love to see em try with a rbbs or a tiger

is that an eastern brown??? (keep in mind still really new to elapids)

Dpeica..........can always count on you for a good laugh ..........wonder what statistic greebo would give you now ...........:) beautiful snake by the way ...

Reading this thread is good value... There are valid points for both sides of this argument...

In my opinion tho free handling elapids is not anything like free handling pythons... add the capability to kill and you are talking massive risk factors.... And the all the talk of "trusting" your animals is foolish. They are animals after all! I agree that you may be able to trust your own instinct when it comes reading your animal but you can't possibly trust the animal itself.....

I cannot help to feel concern at the thought that through acts of carelessness or accident the laws and legislation regarding this awesome passion we all share could be changed to make it harder for us to enjoy.... I mean I would really like to work towards getting my vens license and, quite honestly, realise I have a way to go but it would really suck if the existing goalposts where moved to make it even harder on account of bad bite stories concerning existing keepers....

ivonavich;1393652} In my opinion tho free handling elapids is not anything like free handling pythons... add the capability to kill and you are talking massive risk factors.... And the all the talk of "trusting" your animals is foolish. They are animals after all! I agree that you may be able to trust your own instinct when it comes reading your animal but you can't possibly trust the animal itself..... I cannot help to feel concern at the thought that through acts of carelessness or accident the laws and legislation regarding this awesome passion we all share could be changed to make it harder for us to enjoy.... I mean I would really like to work towards getting my vens license and said:
Plenty of bites occur at wildlife parks and venom extraction facilities. Despite all the safety precautions, envenomations still occur at these places. Private keepers are not the huge threat to our "right" to keep these animals as some people make out.

As said previousley, most passionate venomous snake keepers are responsible people. Let's be honest, no one wants to spend a couple of weeks in intensive care, and thats a "best case scenario".

I believe there's too many people that are bored with the limited number of python species available to the aussie market, and are "dabbling" with the dangerous elapids. Most of these people aren't capable of keeping large active elapids, and are out of their league. And after a close call or worse, they disappear from the scene.

Just my opinion.

A couple more opinions...

Always considered the fact that keeping native wildlife is a privilege not a right... If it was our right we wouldn't need permits or licenses...

Venom extraction facilities and wildlife parks are really not the same kettle of fish as private collectors ... they can be put under tighter scrutiny and be regulated easier than the average private collector...

I also believe "most" keepers are responsible - not all!

A couple more opinions...

Always considered the fact that keeping native wildlife is a privilege not a right... If it was our right we wouldn't need permits or licenses...

Venom extraction facilities and wildlife parks are really not the same kettle of fish as private collectors ... they can be put under tighter scrutiny and be regulated easier than the average private collector...

I also believe "most" keepers are responsible - not all!

First off, if the "authorities" banned dangerous snakes, that would only result in most venomous keepers handing in their lisences. It wouldnt influence any serious elapid keepers whatsoever.

Like any "passion', enthusiasts are hard to deter. Most elapid keepers are'nt in it for the money, unlike many python keepers. From my experience, elapid keepers are a hardcore mob, that relish keeping animals that are shunned from the majority.

i guess what it comes down to if you cant swim then dont get in the water, i dont pretend to be an authority on the topic but it makes me shake my head at both sides of the fence when people with limted experience proclaim their manliness by freehandling a higher end elapid with know concept of the way that particular snake species and specimen will react or behave. it isnt a trust issue, i have never trusted any snake, nor is it a species by species thing its more about being able to almost read a snake. have respect for those who know enough about these snakes that they can successfully handle these things with success and have enough self dignity that if u have no idea that u stick to pythons.

i guess what it comes down to if you cant swim then dont get in the water, i dont pretend to be an authority on the topic but it makes me shake my head at both sides of the fence when people with limted experience proclaim their manliness by freehandling a higher end elapid with know concept of the way that particular snake species and specimen will react or behave. it isnt a trust issue, i have never trusted any snake, nor is it a species by species thing its more about being able to almost read a snake. have respect for those who know enough about these snakes that they can successfully handle these things with success and have enough self dignity that if u have no idea that u stick to pythons.

Like Marty said, if you cant swim, dont jump in the water. You wont see me walking into Mascot airport trying to fly a jumbo jet. I cant do it!! Or at least i'd try and learn to fly something easier before the big boys!!

So why do people try and keep Taipans?? Human nature, not the band, the species.

First off, if the "authorities" banned dangerous snakes, that would only result in most venomous keepers handing in their lisences. It wouldnt influence any serious elapid keepers whatsoever.

Like any "passion', enthusiasts are hard to deter. Most elapid keepers are'nt in it for the money, unlike many python keepers. From my experience, elapid keepers are a hardcore mob, that relish keeping animals that are shunned from the majority.

I agree
This could also increase the amount of poaching

I certainly wouldn't let the law stop me keeping something I live for.

I dont care what "python" people think about me or my mates. But, I'm all for the "industry", as much bull as that carrys, but I still remember when this hobby meant who you respected as a handler and keeper. Other than that, who cares????????????? Not me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heard you have a few good shots of some nice elapids being handled...why don't you post them up?..for educational purposes of course.

oh these free handling threads always seem to pop up

just like the hybrid threads,always good for a few laughs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back