Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

micko

Reaction score
I have heard that most elapids are easier to handle than most pythons.I am told as hatchlings they are flighty but dont often bite.I have a mate with a red belly black wich he free handles all the time and he siad he trusts his RBB more than most of his pythons.Do you agree with his thaughts?Also what elapids do you have that are handable?some pics would be great also.

All I will say is don't even think of doing this unless you are an extremely experienced keeper and handler and you are 100% confident in your ability. Free handling elapids is not something a novice should try just because they have seen someone else do it without incident.

I definately would not do it myself.I am carefull not to get bitten by my pythons let alone an elapid.

i free handled this little fellow but started to get a bit narky it is a wild caught
on a contruction site and moved down in the bush out the way. Black snake.jpg

doesn't look like many people have an opinion on this subject.

I know a bloke he's a snake catcher in the summer...he has a tiger snake and he handles it all the time and even feeds it by hand :shock: i think it's all a matter of knowing that particular snake spending alot of time with it and being an experienced handler....i'de love to think that one day (years to come) that i would have the confidence to be able to free handle elapids i dream of rbbs :D:D:D

I suppose it scomes down to the consequences... even if you are more likely to be bitten by a python - the consequences are pretty minimal - at the most, a bit of pain and some blood.

Although you may be less likely to be bitten by an elapid, the consequences, should it occur, are a wee bit more serious!

Not a risk I would be willing to take!

I know really experienced handlers who free handle daily with very little problem, but it's those very little problems that put them on life support every now and then. Worth it?? I say not, I'd rather have a long life looking at them than chance a short one holding them, but each to their own.

micko, alot of people have an opinion on this, only they are not going to voice it due to the sh.itfight that usually comes from it.

Simone.

Simone is absolutely right. THis is a very divisive topic. Some hate it, some love it.

My opinion is thus: Sure an elapid is just another snake and in general they handle like one. But one day even a python might turn around and give you a feeding bite. If it's a python, you're fine. If it's large mulga, say goodbye to your kidneys and hello to a dialysis machine.

-H

IMO you arnt cool unless you freehandle wild browns and coastals on hot summer days after having rats pee on your hands.

im cool i sware... ill go find a wild brown now!

There are lots of people who free handle their vens, They trust the snake and the snake obviously trusts them.
But there is no way on earth that I would free handle one, Just really not worth the risk of getting bitten in my humble opinion.

By the way I am not condeming those who do, Each to their own I say

Whether an elapid is quiet or not, the risk involved is just too great. Where I do volunteer work, we have 2 snakes - and inland taipan and a death adder - both are such quiet individuals. My supervisor says he beleives the taipan could be handleable like a python but he doesn't and has no intentions of ever trying it. Its just too high risk if you get it on a bad day, and these snakes deserve great respect for what they are capable of. To frree handle vens would be like asking for a death wish. Respect them and live long to enjoy their beauty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back