Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't want to tread on the toes of QLD demonstrators so respectfully I will have to decline, you should speak to companies based in QLD.....,and get insurance

As Wildlife Demonstrators we supposedly have the correct knowledge, attitude, and ability to show various animals safely
But someone taking a pet snake to a school for show and tell should not be a worry
There is a tremendous difference between the two actions
When we start putting ourselves into some exalted position we are forgetting that our introduction to slitherers etc was probably through a show and tell somewhere

Yes keep an eye on things
But no need to get knickers in a twist unless taipans or brownies etc are involved

Life is meant to be enjoyed

I've taken a snake or two into my kids class a few times over the years. It's "show and tell" and nothing more than that, certainly not what you'd classify as a demonstration. Nothing will alter my decision to attend one of my kids classes with permission from a teacher and/or principal.

I've always made it clear from the start whenever I've brought a python to a school that the kids can approach me to touch it, rather than be approached. That way people have a choice and aren't forced into making a decision they aren't 100% about.

I'm also well aware of the legalities behind it, but am pretty care-free simply because of the double standards of animal welfare in this country. If there is money to be made out of it, they're onto it. If there is no money in it, it's thrown into the too-hard basket and they don't want to know about it. These regulatory bodies only care about the $$$ they're potentially missing out on, not the wellbeing of the animals involved, so stuff em!

Reptile keepers who generally do the right thing are a soft money-making target for a bunch of desk-jockeys who never prosecute ANYONE EVER for killing a snake! We care for them, we learn about them, yet take one to school and we're hunted down by the long-arm of the law - what a joke!!

I'm scared of the police, If I see them behind me in traffic and drive away fast and crash, will I be able to sue them because of my fear response?

....if you are worried about the police....stop breaking the law

I'm gonna go get a cape one day, and become........ "CAPTAIN OBJECTIVE PERSPECTIVE MAN!" :shock:

You don't have to do something illegal to have a fear of police...

I know that I personally can't help reacting in a completely irrational way physiologically to being surprised by police pulling me over, increased heart rate, rush of adrenaline, and then I give my 0% blood alcohol reading, and go on my merry law-abiding way...

And in the same way, I have seen plenty of adults, and children, have a similarly seemingly irrational reaction to an object, or indeed animal, that in reality poses no significant threat to them, and through education, or exposure, I/we/they can potentially become desensitised to the thing that creates this "fear."

Out of interest, the EPA (QLD) website shows specific rules and boundaries for "showing" all native animals but snakes... Anyone able to share some accurate info on the QLD legislation? A link, or write up?

Its a bit like J-walking, its all fun and harmless illegal behaviour until someone gets killed :lol: I do agree that there lots of idiots around promoting or 'educating' about snakes in a bad way, subject to opinion some would say being legal has little to do with this side of things as there are differant opinions on how to educate about reptiles.

Moosenoose, there have been prosecutions for killing snakes, some bloke even got prosecuted for killing a roo out in western Qld. Even though many laws are stupid and often ignored, they are sometimes enforced. Whether you are moving a garden skink out of your house without being a qualified animal relocator or taking a bluetounge for 'show and tell', you are breaking the law and that is bad ;)

When i was at school i never took in any of my animals simply because i didnt want to have to deal with stupid kids harrassing them.

im with you hashbean and daryl h.
i take my pythons for show n tell all the time, the teacher and kids in the class find out a few days beforhand and when i do take them in the kids either want to touch them or they just sit back but are still intrested in them.
most of the time the kids that are abit afraid come around after they see that they arent
'KILLERS".
my sons and daughters do the presentation/handleing of the little snakes and i hold the bigger ones. the more we teach people about our wonderful animals the better for everyone.

I'm gonna go get a cape one day, and become........ "CAPTAIN OBJECTIVE PERSPECTIVE MAN!" :shock:

And in the same way, I have seen plenty of adults, and children, have a similarly seemingly irrational reaction to an object, or indeed animal, that in reality poses no significant threat to them, and through education, or exposure, I/we/they can potentially become desensitised to the thing that creates this "fear."

Hahaha make sure you put pics up!

Thats all well and true but we shouldnt force people to face their fear, it may make you feel you helped someone but if they arent ready on their terms to face it you'll only add to their fear. That and a few other reasons is why schools normally get permission forms for such events. If someone has a real fear they can choose to avoid it.

Hahaha make sure you put pics up!

Thats all well and true but we shouldnt force people to face their fear, it may make you feel you helped someone but if they arent ready on their terms to face it you'll only add to their fear. That and a few other reasons is why schools normally get permission forms for such events. If someone has a real fear they can choose to avoid it.

I definitely wouldn't try and force anyone to face their fear, got plenty of mates and family etc that are scared, petrified even, and I don't feel the need to push the issue, just encourage them to embrace the fact that "one man's python is another man's dog"...

My kids both had "Pet week" in Kindy, I took in some of our pets to show the class, the teachers asked me to show the other 3 classes. I did feel sorry for the mum outside waiting with her lab... not as exciting at a frilly, a stumpy, a beardy, some geckos, frogs and a couple of pythons.... as for law breaking... what about the little kid who puts up his hand and tells everyone " I have a snake at home, it's a Corn Snake!". There's always one of them in every crowd of kids these days :lol:

Its always interesting to hear about people willing to break the regulations for their own needs, but when it suits them they are up in arms......simply put, dont complain about people killing reptiles if you arent willing to live by the regulations that you are supposed to follow when keeping private wildlife.....or do we live in a pick and choose world where we can follow the rules and regulations that suit us!?!?!?

these harmless show and tells lead to the kids and teachers becoming interested in reptiles. In most cases the schools wouldn't have payed for a full exhibit or demo without some interest being generated first.

Thats generally called advertising.....all demonstrators do it!

Come on, you know full well that seeing a reptile in the flesh has far more impact than a brochure (which will most likely be ignored) or yellow pages ad

Please read the very first post.....conducting demonstrations.......suddenly its about a 3 minute show and tell?

these harmless show and tells lead to the kids and teachers becoming interested in reptiles. In most cases the schools wouldn't have payed for a full exhibit or demo without some interest being generated first.

exactly, I also do talks for scouts and various organisations and societies, always slide show presentations, though sometimes I happen to have the odd python on hand as I'm usually on the way to the vets and I can't leave it in the car :lol:, but yeah, I get so much out of it myself, like 3 hours of time away from my family and a twenty dollar fuel bill.... though sometimes I score a free plant if I'm doing a native flower society.. yep, thats why I break the law, it's the free plants.

Its always interesting to hear about people willing to break the regulations for their own needs, but when it suits them they are up in arms......simply put, dont complain about people killing reptiles if you arent willing to live by the regulations that you are supposed to follow when keeping private wildlife.....or do we live in a pick and choose world where we can follow the rules and regulations that suit us!?!?!?

I can understand where you are coming from, but IMO Australia is way over regulated and there are heaps of stupid laws(especially in relation to animals and wildlife) that are either ignored or simply not known about. What sort of person calls an animal relocator to move a garden skink out of their house? Never J-walks? Never goes over the speed limit even by 1kmph or less? Doesnt drink in public? Humanely euthaises shrimps, crays and/or fish before feeding them to pets(in Qld) ? etc. (thats without even touching on the stupidity of common law).

Whether you are moving a garden skink out of your house without being a qualified animal relocator or taking a bluetounge for 'show and tell', you are breaking the law and that is bad ;)

Yeah, but it is that kind of rigid attitude from regulatory bodies that causes reptile enthusiasts to totally ignore legislation...

I dug up a tree in my front yard, and there were two bluetongues living under it... I don't have a front fence, and they were heading straight for the road every time I left them alone... So I picked them up, put them in a container, and relocated them about 500m to a park. And QPWS would have an issue with that... so screw them!

It not that hard to contact the EPA in your state and GET permission to take your reptiles to the School, Scouts etc.

If it is done correctly - then it does not eventually STUff it up for everyone else who tries to do the right thing.

NO ONE is above the law.

Once day something will happen and you will not have insurance and then you will cry - oh poor me.
You will only have yourself to blame.

I fully agree with snakehandler.

Leave the demos etc to the professionals - after all that is what they are there for.

I agree with snakehandler, but I also agree that there is so many over the top legislation and regulations that it is hard to take them seriously. Although if we do not follow these so called rules then we will become the criminals and also leave ourselves open to liability. Laws are Laws and we have no choice except at the polling booths

exactly, I also do talks for scouts and various organisations and societies, always slide show presentations, though sometimes I happen to have the odd python on hand as I'm usually on the way to the vets and I can't leave it in the car :lol:, but yeah, I get so much out of it myself, like 3 hours of time away from my family and a twenty dollar fuel bill.... though sometimes I score a free plant if I'm doing a native flower society.. yep, thats why I break the law, it's the free plants.

You could donate them ;) surely someone in this thread could do with a nice bunch of flowers to cheer them up :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back