Gay marraige, Yay or Nay?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gay Marraige, Yay or Nay?

• Yay

Votes: 106 58.9%
  • Nay

Votes: 74 41.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont think gay people know what they are getting into. Once you are married the sex STOPS !!!!
So think twice before getting married :)

just kidding of course :)

Everyone seems to be underestimating children now a days my kids Godparents are all gay (as is a percentage of my client's) kids range from 13-30 never been any problems at school etc and the godparents have attended many functions at school, sports, etc as the children have go to Picnic in the park etc what it has done for the kids has given them a broader outlook a more tolerant view of what is perceived as normal.

Gays are born it is not a choice, there is far more "abnormality" in the straight scene than the gay scene.

Herp keepers how many times have you heard you are weird ? or not coming to your place I hate snakes etc.

In fact in a lot of cultures same sex relationships are accepted. The samurai's called it man love, happened in the roman legions, King Arthur was believed to be in love with Lancelot.

For those of you who a against it what if you found out your child was gay? would you want them denied the same rights that you currently enjoy?

For those pushing the religious argument (Christian) isnt your god supposed to love everyone?

Think long and hard people

I voted nay - and you should ALL vote nay as well - Australia has enough fat hairy volvo drivers...

sorry, what's that? oh - gay marriage?! I vote yay.

The way I see it is... all the girls I have ever spoken to say that all the good guys are either taken or gay.. imagine if you allow same sex marriages.. that doubles the amount of 'taken people' making the rest of us guys look bad :(

Vote against same sex marriages for that reason... :)

Or of course.... It's ok when a gay guy splits up with another guy - because if all the good ones (boys) are either taken or gay, that leaves the gay man with at least half of them (statistically speaking).

I'd vote for a political party that was motivated to remove any legislation that discriminates against same sex couples (that was a serious comment)

The way I see it is... all the girls I have ever spoken to say that all the good guys are either taken or gay.. imagine if you allow same sex marriages.. that doubles the amount of 'taken people' making the rest of us guys look bad :(

Vote against same sex marriages for that reason... :)

Or of course.... It's ok when a gay guy splits up with another guy - because if all the good ones (boys) are either taken or gay, that leaves the gay man with at least half of them (statistically speaking).

I'd vote for a political party that was motivated to remove any legislation that discriminates against same sex couples (that was a serious comment)

hahahahahhaha

this thread is a bit tarded :D

Okayyy. I'm pretty annoyed at the moment, being singled out by a few people when from what I can see, 58 other people voted Nay too.

I guess I shouldn't have posted my thoughts last night as I'd had a bit to drink :lol:

Now I'll explain myself, because I don't want anyone thinking I'm homophobic, because that is not the case at all.

I guess there should be a third option on the poll, even a forth. I voted Nay because it's the option closest to my beliefs.

I believe that Marriage is a union bonding you under the eyes of God. So unless you are Catholic/Christian etc, then you do not get Married. Yes, I know this may be considered very old fashioned to most people but that is the way I have been bought up. For this reason, I never want to be married.

So I am certainly not saying that only gay people should not be able to get married. As I said in my first post, I believe there should be a way for gay couples to be given the same rights as straight couples as we are all people and should be treated with equality.

Marriage will never be a priority to me, I don't really understand why others feel the urge and the need to get married, especially when it's really lost it's meaning nowadays with divorce and such.

If you are gay and really believe getting married is going to make you and your partner love each other more, or make the bond between you stronger, then I have no problem with that. If it was legal then it wouldn't bother me as it's each to their own.

So, as I said before - I guess I voted "nay" to voice my beliefs about marriage in general, not gay marriages.

I think as a election issue neither party (lib or labour) could advocate the allowing of gay marraige, as you can see on here their are still alot of people who oppose the issue and it would change their vote. But i think if the legislation was changed mid term their would be little if any motion against it. When it comes down to it neither liberal or labour have said any (real) reason why they are opposed to gay marraige other than they dont want to loose the christian vote. So far the only decent reason i have seen on here is becaus marraige isnt that good anyway, which is a seperate issue.

Ofcourse though every one need to know that they dont need to vote for one of the major parties, the greens, and the democrats both support the liberation of human rights.

I certainly think if a gay couple are going to get married then the same legal rules apply to them as it does to a hetero couple. I know of gay couple who had IVF to conceive a child then split, THEN feel they shouldnt have to pay child support because the kid "isn't theirs".

I've got quite a few gay male friends, some of them are lovely, but my own high school experience with gay girls was horrible. I was friends with some gay girls and got so alienated from the other girls because they thought i was gay - all because i had gay friends. And the butch lesbaians who hung out with the ones i actually liked seem to have the attitude that because thay were dykes so should everyone else be. So that caused me grief because they were always hitting on me and spreading the rumour around my school i was gay. In the end i had to flatten one of the girls who put her arm around me to make her realise GET THE HINT. By the time high school ended it was clear to the "normal" girls i wasnt gay but by that stage i wanted nothing to do ith any of them anyway.

So while i have gay male friends ( who totally understand my experience) i do not have anything to do with gay women- to put it bluntly i find them repulsive. Think about it, they use male toys to get themselves off, why not go for a the real thing? You like the same sex because you like females, but they are so butch they are more butch than some guys.

I don't treat gays like crap because they are gay. I treat them with the same respect they show to me, but i will avoid being personal with any of them. Thats not being discriminitive it's just my preference and my god given right not to have to associate with them. You can't help your experiences so i would much prefer to avoid being in the same situation again.

Simone.

I think it's important to mention that homosexuality has not been proven to be genetically linked, and I definitely don't believe that it is. It is simply another acquired characteristic - read Darwin's The Origin of Species.

However, it being not genetic does in no way make it any easier to change. Getting your arm cut off is an acquired characteristic, not a genetic one, however it's not like you can just unacquire it (to use a non-existent word).

Homosexuality is certainly a choice for some people, I think it's important to make that distinction, yes many people claim to be different from a young age, but there are also many that I know that have been too hurt by the opposite sex, and they see their only way out as being to get involved with their own sex.

I think the reason for this is that it is far easier to understand one's own sex, they have similar problems, similar thoughts. Personally this is a deterrent for me, I prefer the excitement of the unknown (cos that's what females are for a lot of guys).

There is also a lot of hype surrounding homosexuality nowadays, and being "bisexual" has certainly become something of a fad for many, a word they toss around. Not to belittle the few that actually believe themselves to naturally be this way, but I think it's important to note that it is a choice for some people.

Just one more thing:

I hear many people say things like "gay people are actually nicer than straight people", which is ridiculous really, they're a group of people like anyone else - identifying them as nicer than the rest only ostracises them further. But I think the reason why many people, and myself to an extent, feel so awkward around homosexuals is that some of them characteristically possess traits that some find off-putting in any person. For example I don't like excessive promiscuity, heterosexual or homosexual, yet I find that with gay liberation as it is progressing nowadays, it has become acceptable for homosexuals to express promiscuity in public and inappropriate to question it - anyone that criticises them for this is deemed homophobic.

As I said before, there is still a large portion of the population that has been pre-disposed against homosexuality by upbringing or cultural influence, and, right or wrong, gay marriage will take a while to be accepted.

Simone that's a really good point you make, that some girls are lesbians because they apparently don't like men, yet they get involved with the girls who are the most masculine.

The same goes for some gay men, and possibly why a lot of people are even annoyed by the way they behave, because one feels that if someone is a man, they should behave like a man, if someone is a woman, they should behave like a woman. I'm certainly not saying that this is the correct way to be thinking, but I think it explains somewhat the reason behind a lot of the resentment toward gays.

I believe that everyone is entitled to their own choice, and everyone, including god (not having a shot at religion, just fundamentalists), should butt out. Isnt that what freedom is all about?

LOL it mite sound like where making fun of th topic,but when it comes down to the truth

i believe if someone is attracted to same sex then that is how they feel and there totally allowed to feel that way and do as they choose,
if they love someone from the same sex who can stand in there way,
we cant help the way we feel
i have gay friends im quite fond of really
i dont see why some people go hating on gays

I certainly think if a gay couple are going to get married then the same legal rules apply to them as it does to a hetero couple. I know of gay couple who had IVF to conceive a child then split, THEN feel they shouldnt have to pay child support because the kid "isn't theirs".

I've got quite a few gay male friends, some of them are lovely, but my own high school experience with gay girls was horrible. I was friends with some gay girls and got so alienated from the other girls because they thought i was gay - all because i had gay friends. And the butch lesbaians who hung out with the ones i actually liked seem to have the attitude that because thay were dykes so should everyone else be. So that caused me grief because they were always hitting on me and spreading the rumour around my school i was gay. In the end i had to flatten one of the girls who put her arm around me to make her realise GET THE HINT. By the time high school ended it was clear to the "normal" girls i wasnt gay but by that stage i wanted nothing to do ith any of them anyway.

So while i have gay male friends ( who totally understand my experience) i do not have anything to do with gay women- to put it bluntly i find them repulsive. Think about it, they use male toys to get themselves off, why not go for a the real thing? You like the same sex because you like females, but they are so butch they are more butch than some guys.

I don't treat gays like crap because they are gay. I treat them with the same respect they show to me, but i will avoid being personal with any of them. Thats not being discriminitive it's just my preference and my god given right not to have to associate with them. You can't help your experiences so i would much prefer to avoid being in the same situation again.

Simone.

wow, simply a brilliant essay in generalising! :)
so based on your small and limited interaction in school, when you were MUCH younger, female gays are 'repulsive' and they use phallic sex toys?

;) you're all grown up now, with an adult mind, perhaps you should take a look at things from a new perspective? ;)
as you say, you can't help your experience, but you can assert logical transition from then to now.

if I went by your same rule set, I'd hate nearly every one on the planet, I was relentlessly bullied, beaten and humiliated during school, just because I was quiet and withdrawn.

Recharge, the fact is i find them repulsive thats it. That won't change for me. Just as gay women are gay they wont change being gay either. Everyone on here is quick to say each to their own FINE !. Well my "each to their own" feeling is i find them repulsive. End of story.

Simone.

Ok johnbowmonie, i think ur experience shows that generally people are loosers, I think you would have to be arogent to not think straight guys would do just as stupid things. How must all the lesbians out there think when they have guys drooling over them, i think that stuff is filth. Sure you might get turned on by it but all this talk about lesbians being hot probably crosses the line alot of the time.

Timotei I really think your example of someone choosing to be gay becaus they have been hurt by the oposite sex is a minority at best. I have never met or even chated to a gay guy that doesnt beleive they have always been different. Somepeople may use it as an excuse when they are coming out of the closet or watever. I think its important to note that their are still ALOT of people out their in the closet i beleive especially in the older generations. In the 'old days' it was just purely and completly un acceptable. These people felt very ostrascised by society and coming out would usually be accompanied by many 'excuses'.

I agree though that the bisexual term is often thrown arround quite loosly I honestly beleive you are either gay or straight however again i havnt spoken to everyone. I think alot of straight woman are willing to experiment with other woman for the fun of it I also think alot of gay men are not fully able to commit to the lifestyle that is thrust upon us by society. I honestly think the lifestyle is a bit messed up and am not willing to get absorbed into it. Being gay isnt a lifestyle choice it is a psycological preference produced purely subconnsiously I really dont think its that possible to wake up one day and say I think I might try being attracted to the same sex one day.

I agree though that the bisexual term is often thrown arround quite loosly I honestly beleive you are either gay or straight however again i havnt spoken to everyone.

now this is the part that gets me..
you've NEVER spoken to anyone about this subject, yet you have a firm belief in your mindset?

well, let me tell you, you're wrong, although there are many that 'play' both sides because they're just accepting of it, but there are also many that have know since they were children.

the same as a lot of gay and strait people do.

I've known since I was a child, the earliest memories I can think of (sexually) were of both sexes.
almost EVERY child experiments with their sexuality, as they grow they work out where they stand.

some just don't find the need to 'choose' a side, but they always lean more in one direction.

and JBM, it's just lucky we all don't just accept a rational as you have ;) or we'd still be living in caves ;) I don't say you HAVE to accept it, but accepting it upon the criteria as you have is a little 'sticking your head in the sand' much like people who 'just hate snakes' :lol:

We must remember the original direction of this thread - Should homosexuals be allowed to get married? The question is not "should people get married?" or "what is your opinion of gay people?". I'd have no drama's with not allowing gay couples to get married, if they banned it for straight couples too. If straight couples are allowed to make silly decisions, we should make it possible for gay couples too.

Nay.
I'm all for gay couples being given the same rights as straight couples, but Marriage is a religious thing and in the eyes of most (if not all) religions, same sex partners are wrong.

My religion does not discrimninate, so no, not all religions do. Also, many people these days go for a civil service, without religious overtones. Besides, God is love right?

Anyone ever heard of the 'rolly polly people'? Ancient Greeks had a myth that explained why you love the person you love, it goes something like this (from memory) People used to be a pair joined togther - 4 arms, 4 legs, 2 heads etc, and male/female, male/male and female/female couplings, this allowed them to move faster than the gods and the gods got jealous and separated them, removing soulmate from soulmate, so when you fall in love, with a male or female, then you have found the other half of your rolly polly person

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back