Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
it's like anything... the more there are, the cheaper they are. think about computers 30 years ago...

i don't see it as an issue, unless you are getting people without the money to take care of the animals, and the animals suffer. i've got a coastal, it wasn't expensive, i totally adore her and i might be getting another one soon. i'm also getting a GTP in a month, and i plan to spend money setting up a good enclosure and "spoiling" it with a nice place to live.

i'd like to breed later on, as a challenge, and yes the money to cover the cost of the snakes would be nice.

I think we have lost Naledge .... probably went to buy my books.
I feel better after that drink. :lol:;)

i don't see it as an issue, unless you are getting people without the money to take care of the animals, and the animals suffer.

That is one scenario, I also wonder what will happen to those cheap reptiles that won't sell.

it's like anything... the more there are, the cheaper they are. think about computers 30 years ago...

i don't see it as an issue, unless you are getting people without the money to take care of the animals, and the animals suffer. i've got a coastal, it wasn't expensive, i totally adore her and i might be getting another one soon. i'm also getting a GTP in a month, and i plan to spend money setting up a good enclosure and "spoiling" it with a nice place to live.

i'd like to breed later on, as a challenge, and yes the money to cover the cost of the snakes would be nice.

The only issue I see with it is that GTPs are apparently a tricky snake to keep and aren't recommended for beginners. If they get really cheap I fear more people will be getting them as their first snake without being able to look after them properly.

Why are so many members here having such a hard time on this topic?? - Aside from the GFC, there are more and more being hatched every season. More competition to sell hatchling's = prices get driven down..... Maybe someone should make a nice big picture book to explain this a little easier!

Apart from GTPs, many species are now mega cheap compared to several years ago. Some Darwin Carpets are going for $99, Jungle Carpets for $70 and Uluru Womas for $250. More and more people breeding reptiles has created a surplus, so the prices crash land as they all compete in desparation.

Kurto, a picture book would be a good idea, just make sure is made by someone with lots of reptile experience ;)

why does one person sell a diamonds for $200 and another person sell them for $600
its a pretty stupid question really isnt it???

Its not a stupid question, an obvious possibility would be they could be differant quality but it could just be they are more expensive because they want to rip off ignorant buyers who may think being more expensive means they are better. They may want to sell them more quickly, are out of touch with current prices or a range of other reasons.

Its not a stupid question, an obvious possibility would be they could be differant quality but it could just be they are more expensive because they want to rip off ignorant buyers who may think being more expensive means they are better. They may want to sell them more quickly, are out of touch with current prices or a range of other reasons.

Cris, ignorant buyers don't buy expensive GTPs - trust me. I dare to say it's the opposite, most, actually ALL the people who bought GTPs from me in the past were intelligent, astute reptile keepers who have done their homework before closing any deals.

well you still couldn't answer! it all you said were could be's, maybe's and possibly's
so IMO if its so damn obvious that the answer is to varied to explain it is a stupid question
instead of asking all of us why dont you just call tim!

Anyway, D3Pro, are you any wiser or at least amused after all this?

I am amused by this, but I don't think that is what you want to hear

I am amused by this, but I don't think that is what you want to hear

OK, another drink.
Before I get drunk - did I ask you? No offence, I was just trying to close the ...
I thought 3D-Pro should have the last word.

Anyway, D3Pro, are you any wiser or at least amused after all this?

I just got back home today and saw that my post as spun out of control and on the most distasteful of ways...

My question at the end of the day was why? Why are the GTP's becoming so cheap? Not many breeders actually have them, and even less have the experience to breed them in large amounts.

Ok, so the numbers have become higher, and it's expected. Woma's went down in price very fast because of ease of breeding right? but is that all there is to it?

Waterrat pm'ed me today and pointed out that some 2000 gtp's were illegally imported in Australia from Asian farms...

Has that been effecting the price?

Another thing I pointed out was what was going to be the next big thing, once every local snake keeper will be able to buy the desirable GTP... what will the scum bag money makers go for next?

Also, I am not in this hobby to make money, I love snakes and always have... My dream is to work with what I love and actually get payed for it... is that a crime? as I believe thats every working persons objective.

Thank you to the people who actually have some experience with GTP's, as you shed some light in this topic which I should never have started....*sigh*

ive heard that those some 200 illegal animals started off at the normal price for gtp but by the end there they were doing 2 for ones and practically giving them away...not sure if this is the case but if so it could have some affect on price...

I have a problem with this thread, where in Australian law is it illegal to make a few bucks out of a hobby, l personally don't believe it makes you any less passionate about a hobby in this case reptiles but it appears to me that in most hobbies the "critics" are people that don't want to go out of there way or do a bit of o.t at work to have something a bit more exotic / expensive....so the culture begins ....lets critisize those people along monetary lines as being insensitive greedy and money driven.....then there are those that just plan "extend" the truth l mean $10,000-15,000 for a hatchie GTP "TELL EM THERE DREAMIN".....Plus l think we have to learn to appreciate diversaties within in our hobby, l mean if everybody kept the one species of reptile it would be a boring hobby....now l know "bluey66" and he,s passionate but if "everybody sat back and waited for a few years imagine the kaos it would cause....we are all needed in this hobby lets move on.....cheers solar 17 [Baden]

i agree 100% with you baden , for those who actually sit down and work out running costs feed bills ect and then work out how much they actually end up with after selling a few herps , they will notice that its not a great deal of money once you take the costs away

then there are those that just plan "extend" the truth l mean $10,000-15,000 for a hatchie GTP "TELL EM THERE DREAMIN".....

Didn't see this before. I didn't say a hatchy GTP.
Anyway, hatchies were around $10,000. That puts it in the range of $10k-$15k anyway.

But I was talking about green tree pythons in general, not just hatchies, sorry for the confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back